Harry Potter the Satanic wizard - ridiculous.

aperson

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:30 pm
Hello everybody. I'm sure you've all heard of the controversy over whether the Harry Potter series are making kids become evil Satan worshippers.

IMO, this is absolute bollocks. Children don't just read a book, then stop believing in God and start worshipping the Devil and cast demonic spells! Ok, some of you may say that obsessed children who have overly wild imaginations will, but a) the series doesn't mention Satan or God once and b) if parents make it clear to children that the book is ficticious then the children won't become dark wizards.

Besides, what's the harm in a simple fantasy? We all believed in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus at one stage (at least I hope so). We all believed with absolute conviction, but that did nothing dramatic to our minds. So what if a child believes there is magic? Its not going to do him any harm.

Why are these people telling the rest of us what to do anyway? They should be monitoring their own kids beliefs, not the rest of ours. If they don't want to let their kids read Harry Potter then so be it. I don't care. But even that isn't needed. Children can read Harry Potter and still believe in God.

Where is the proof that children are going Satanic anyway? I haven't seen one example of a Satanic Harry Potter crazed child.

Thousands of fantasy books have been written. Why are they only attacking Harry Potter? Because its a bestseller, you may say. But they should be attacking the magic genre altogether.

Here is an example of how stupid these people are:
Quote:
This religious fear has inspired at least two internet urban legends, both inspired by satires unintentionally taken seriously. In 2001, The Onion, an American spoof magazine that satirises pop culture phenomena, wrote an article entitled, "Harry Potter Sparks Rise in Satanism Among Children", which said, with obvious irony, that the High Priest of Satanism had described Harry Potter as "an absolute godsend to our cause." Regardless, this article was copied into a chain letter and circulated among Christians as "proof" of their views. The following year the Canadian rightwing daily the National Post released a similar spoof article in its satirical column, Post Morten, saying that "Rowling -- or, as she shall henceforth be referred to and credited as, Mrs. J. K. Satan -- said that as she sat in a coffee shop one grey day, wondering what to do with her empty, aimless life, it hit her: "I'll give myself, body and soul, to the Dark Master. And in return, he will give me absurd wealth and power over the weak and pitiful of the world. And he did!"" This article too was copied into a chain letter and released as "truth" onto the web.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,246 • Replies: 36
No top replies

LEENA

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:50 pm
An absolutely immature approach.

Like you said, first of all it's fiction/fantasy. Second, where in Happry Potter has Satan or God been mentioned? Thirdly, even if they think they can pick up clues or coded messages in the book, so what?

You can worship God and be okay and be outcasted if you worship Satan?
That's prejudice and kinda like racism.
As long as your beliefs and practices don't harm anyone else or impose anything on them it's fine; it's great!

Back to the point, there is no argument -- Harry Potter does not inspire Satanism or evil in any way. All it inspires is sympathy, perspective and sentiment...........can anyome serioulsy call that evil?

Besides, if it was such a condemned little thing, why would millions of people simply delight in reading that - including the many parents of many children.

About magic -- exists or not -- there are two sides to everything -- good and bad. Magic itself (its existence is something else altogether is not the argument here) is not evil, it's what you do with it as with everything else.
Why should magic be an exception?

Lastly, those who carry this belief that Harry Potter is Satanic, have my sympathy. Trust me, they must have an IQ case or something of the sorts.

AND TO aLL HARRY POTTER FANs:

ROCKnROLL!
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:15 am
Come on you avid believers of Gods, fairy's, afterlife, devils, etc... Nows your chance to PROVE otherwise.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:13 am
Surely God, Harry Potter and Satan are all just fictional characters, so why does it matter who they worship? Bloody hell sure some of the nasty stuff God does in the bible removes the need for a Satan, and most of the stuff done in the name of God speaks for itself....
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:18 am
I'm QUITE sure she was just intergrating religious ideas into her story from her own experiences and the like. Bleh.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:07 pm
There are schools of supernatural magic and witchcraft, and neo-pagan religions such as Wicca that incorporate magical practices. I suppose it is possible that some children might become interested in such things as a result of reading Harry Potter books. The concern among some parents is that children would be led away from Christianity (or whatever the parent's religion is), and perhaps even toward satanic cults. However, I think these fears are way overblown. If children are taught right from wrong, and that the "magic" of Harry Potter is fantasy, this isn't a serious concern. It may even cause some children to take a greater interest in religious and spiritual teachings.

Part of the problem is that many Christian denominations view the supernatural as generally under the sway of evil forces. This is the result of a general ignorance about the spiritual or supernatural dimension. The concern about the Harry Potter books is largely motivated by many parent's fear of the supernatural.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:09 pm
Quote:

I'm sure you've all heard of the controversy over whether the Harry Potter series are making kids become evil Satan worshipers.

The assumption here is that making kids become evil Satan worshipers is a bad thing, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
There are schools of supernatural magic and witchcraft, and neo-pagan religions such as Wicca that incorporate magical practices. (emphasis added)

This one always cracks me up (and i'm not saying that IFF is making this up). The putative "Wiccan religion" was created from whole cloth by a retired English Civil Servant, Gerald Gardner, in 1954. There are "Wiccan" sects which claim not to be Gardnerian, but the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree--you'd need a mind reader to figure out how they differ from the Gardnerian model. You can't get much more "neo" in your neo-pagan religion than that a bored retiree made it up 50 years ago.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:56 pm
That's it. I'm changing my name to logist
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:59 pm
"MOM!!! Did you hide my letter from Hogwarts???? How dare you!!!"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Some people think I'm a child killing, Japanese, liberal.

I like Harry Potter.

If p then q ....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:21 pm
boomerang wrote:

Huh . . . i never thought of you as Japanese . . .
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:45 pm
This site exemplifies the kind of hysteria that condemns the Harry Potter books.
Quote:
Then according to Acts 19:19 you should gather up all your occult paraphernalia like your rock music, occult books, charms, Dungeons and Dragons material. Don't throw them away. Burn them[/u]!

I found it humorous.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Part of the problem is that many Christian denominations view the supernatural as generally under the sway of evil forces. This is the result of a general ignorance about the spiritual or supernatural dimension. The concern about the Harry Potter books is largely motivated by many parent's fear of the supernatural.

Just goes to show how deeply christian fanatics fear the things they don't know.

Banning things are in my mind the greatest sin there is (and I'm not religious).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:26 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

Just goes to show how deeply christian fanatics fear the things they don't know.

Banning things are in my mind the greatest sin there is (and I'm not religious).
You can't think of anything that should be banned?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:32 pm
neologist wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:

You can't think of anything that should be banned?

I don't see how censorship is going to make matters better. I'm pro free information flow.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 03:59 pm
Leena, I don't get you. You call my approach immature and then you support it?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 04:23 pm
Oh no not another book, after seeing superman when i was a kid my parents had to tie me up to stop me jumping out windows and wearing my pants over my trousers..... seriously how stupid are people becoming (Don't answer that, isn't it 1 in 5 americans that believe the sun circles the earth...)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Huh . . . i never thought of you as Japanese . . .

really, i always picture boomer as sailor moon and......i......ummm, maybe i should just leave it at that

Embarrassed
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
Quote:
Sailor Moon is about an ordinary, klutzy, crybaby, 14 year old junior high school girl who receives a special quest from a talking cat named Luna to fight evil and find someone called the "Moon Princess". She accomplishes all this by transforming into the sailor suited "pretty soldier" Sailor Moon. Over time, she discovers other Sailor Scouts/Senshi and another cat Artemis who join her as a team.

She also runs into this cute guy named Mamoru/Darien and this caped hero Tuxedo Kamen/Tuxedo Mask.

So... okay then.... I'll dress up as a pretty soldier and you be the cute guy and then I'll fall down and then you rescue me and then ......
0 Replies