Tips on saving money.

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 04:04 pm
Speaking of cards, that reminds me of holiday stuff (decorations, cards, etc.). I take it that everyone here knows to shop for those things within the first week after the holiday -- and set aside what you've bought for the following year. HUGE sales as stores try to get rid of outdated holiday stuff so that they don't have to pay to store it for a year.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:43 am
Two words......Amazon.

I have found so many bargains on that site for this that I have to buy on a regular basis.

Mostly in the grocery section.

For instance, Wally drinks gallons and gallons of herbal ice tea. At the store, one box costs $3. I think that's 20 tea bags.

On Amazon, I'll buy 2 cases of 12, so 24 boxes
Free shipping
And I'll wait until I've gotten a coupon code for like $5 or $10 off over a certain amount spent (like 2 cases)
When I say "wait", that's no problem, Amazon is always sending coupon codes to my email.

End up spending like $2 a box.

The teas gone in no time, especially in this hot weather.

So, instead of constantly schleping 3 or 4 boxes home from the store, (it must be a popular flavor, the stores always out or almost out) and it's delivered to my doorstep, cheaper.

There's other stuff I regularly purchase from them too. I love coming home and finding a package.

If you have a baby, check them out for diapers. You might be able to get them cheaper, and not have all those bulky packages to bring home.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:32 am
amazon has groceries?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:32 am
yeppers :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:40 am
Shocked

I am looking RIGHT now......

jeeeezeeee louise...

I can actually forfeit on shopping weekly, AND still stay in my 80 buck a week budget with this.

About 27 dollars will buy the Mr his lunch favorites, which he can only get one or two of ( Like the Annie Chun soups?!!) because at the store they are expencive single serve packages.

I can get Beans cereal in boxes of six and not have to shop for it again in one week.

THen the next week, I can buy two more bulk items and not have to shop for them again..
and I can see this dropping our end of the month budget as well.
That last week of themonth is the most expencive.
We have eaten all the food in the house except for spices, so we have to refill.

If I buy two things of bulk a week, ( diffrent things each time) that last bill may be cut in half.......

right. the.fluck.on Cool
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:42 am
how do you get the coupons from amazon?

under what heading do you sign up?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
I've never signed up for coupons, you just get them for buying certain items. If Chai knows different she will have to tell us.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
mmmm....I just looked at those Annie Chun Soups. They look good.

How much is a packet of them at the store?

Anyway, you've probably already noticed that, for instance, those soups say "Eligible for Super Saver Shipping for over $25.00" When you check out, just click that option as your choice.

The first time I purchased from Amazon, I went ahead and created an account, with a log-in and password. Just makes it easier.

I don't really mind getting emails from Amazon. They're obviously easy to identify, and yeah, sometimes I see the title header and look, and take advantage of whatever the offer is...they'll give you a code to enter when checking out to get the discount. For that there's an area to enter promotional codes.

If I don't have an email offer, and I need to buy something, I just google Amazon promotion codes grocery....or something like that. I just did that, and on the 2nd site I opened, it gave me a code for $10 off $50 of groceries.

To start you off, because I'm such a great person....that code was SNACK100
shhhh....it's a secret. don't tell anyone else 'k?

It expires Dec 31, 2007

I wonder if you can use it more than once. I think I have.

Free shipping and $10 off an item that's cheaper in the first place. What the hell else do you want from me already?

Got all that?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:53 am
Chai wrote:
wow, this really is scary.

I love being in my home too.

I mean, Wally and I have spent years fixing it up the way we want it, saving money and trying to be smart with how we pay it off.

There's no place I'd rather be at my comfy house.

Oh, I go out for walks and stuff, I'm not a recluse. Like you I go and buy the stuff I need and come home.

Sometimes when I'm out I see all these cars with all these people driving all around and I think...."WHERE are all these people going?"

You know what? It would be interesting to pick a likely vehicle, and follow it around all day, just to see what I'm missing.

I have a feeling it would be driving from one store to another, staring at stuff....zzzzzzz..... Booooorrrrrrrring......

Two peas in a pod, we are ;-) Wow! I never realized you were so much like me.
My neighbours (both in their 70s) are always driving back and forth going somewhere or other and I get tired just watching them.
I know where they're going. They're going from house to house trying to find out everyones business Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:55 am
jespah wrote:
Speaking of cards, that reminds me of holiday stuff (decorations, cards, etc.). I take it that everyone here knows to shop for those things within the first week after the holiday -- and set aside what you've bought for the following year. HUGE sales as stores try to get rid of outdated holiday stuff so that they don't have to pay to store it for a year.

Yup yup, I do this faithfully every year :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:01 am
Chai wrote:
Two words......Amazon.

I have found so many bargains on that site for this that I have to buy on a regular basis.

Mostly in the grocery section.

For instance, Wally drinks gallons and gallons of herbal ice tea. At the store, one box costs $3. I think that's 20 tea bags.

On Amazon, I'll buy 2 cases of 12, so 24 boxes
Free shipping
And I'll wait until I've gotten a coupon code for like $5 or $10 off over a certain amount spent (like 2 cases)
When I say "wait", that's no problem, Amazon is always sending coupon codes to my email.

End up spending like $2 a box.

The teas gone in no time, especially in this hot weather.

So, instead of constantly schleping 3 or 4 boxes home from the store, (it must be a popular flavor, the stores always out or almost out) and it's delivered to my doorstep, cheaper.

There's other stuff I regularly purchase from them too. I love coming home and finding a package.

If you have a baby, check them out for diapers. You might be able to get them cheaper, and not have all those bulky packages to bring home.

I always did the Ebay thing, but never did try Amazon and I also didn't know they had food. I'm gonna have to check it out and hopefully I'll get as excited as Shewolf is :-D

Thanks for the tips everyone. This is a very exciting subject for me.

We work hard for our $ and I think we should get everything we can from it!

Happy shopping all :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:03 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Shocked

I am looking RIGHT now......

jeeeezeeee louise...

I can actually forfeit on shopping weekly, AND still stay in my 80 buck a week budget with this.

About 27 dollars will buy the Mr his lunch favorites, which he can only get one or two of ( Like the Annie Chun soups?!!) because at the store they are expencive single serve packages.

I can get Beans cereal in boxes of six and not have to shop for it again in one week.

THen the next week, I can buy two more bulk items and not have to shop for them again..
and I can see this dropping our end of the month budget as well.
That last week of themonth is the most expencive.
We have eaten all the food in the house except for spices, so we have to refill.

If I buy two things of bulk a week, ( diffrent things each time) that last bill may be cut in half.......

right. the.fluck.on Cool

I went out to the city to do some shopping yesterday and it's exausting, so my most very favorite way to shop is right from my computer as I wait for my goodies to come right to the door :-D

I love the internet :-)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
Jesus Christ Montana, get OUT of my HEAD!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
Right back at ya Chai Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
Hey, check this out. I've been using this site for a few months now where I get all kinds of free samples. I check my mail about once or twice a week and my box is always loaded with free samples.

http://www.mysavings.com/?pa=welcome
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:13 am
amazon.ca is not as well developed as amazon.com Confused

no groceries - not really much past books and dvds

Montana, have you got the Optimum pharmacy card? they've got the deal this weekend where $75 of points is worth $100, $150 of points is worth $200. I used those points to get my new digital camera at Christmas, and my MP3 player in the spring. The store that's affiliated with that card here in Ontario usually has great grocery deals as well. If you've got that card, it's worth registering it on line, cuz they'll send you emails about secret 10 and 20x the points days.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:20 am
That's a shame about Amazon in Canada, but they'll catch up eventually.

Yup, got the Optimum card for Shoppers and about once a month I get an email with that offer and I have over 52,000 points so far, but I'm holding out for the 75,000 and am going to wait until that deal rolls around again so I'll have $200 to spend.
I'm kind of saving that for if I ever run into financial difficulties, I'll at least have that to fall back on.
Just a little nest egg to keep me in the comfort zone ;-)

Thanks for letting me know, Beth :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:34 am
OK, I'm freaking out here...as I read about the groceries on Amazon.com - great idea/didn't know about it - my email flashed up - it was a special offer from amazon.

I'm freaked they know what I am doing!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:25 am
Montana
A few more things I do:
1)I don't wash my hair everyday (according to beauticians, washing your hair daily is not good for it)- saves on water, shampoo & conditioner

2) I certainly don't shampoo it twice like the bottle says- saves on buying more shampoo

3) I have always bought my cars new and keep them at least 10 or more years. During those 10 years is when I have the money to buy another car, if I want another car. When I sell a car, I always get a good price since I don't drive around much and the mileage is low.

4) I use ebay and buy in bulk for a certain item

5) costco I use to buy in bulk for certain items

I don't know if anyone else has posted similiar ideas since I didn't read the whole thread......

I will bm it though to pick up some ideas from you guys.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
I save my toenail clippings and use them as drainage in the bottom of flower pots.

I save a bunch of money of gravel that way.
0 Replies