Why Atheists Dislike Christianity

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:16 pm
Why Atheists Dislike Christianity

By Amin Emilio Aun Joven

I was once an atheist....

Now I'm a Christian.

Now having been an atheist and a Christian, I have a unique perspective on what atheists have thought their entire lives....

Many people who have never before been introduced to Jesus Christ, Christianity, or any other type of God are sometimes embarrassed by the approaches and likewise offending reproaches of Christians whose sole goal is to convert you to their denomination, and otherwise to damn you if they cannot. This has thus alienated some people from accepting any type of God.

The problem of why atheists dislike the Christian religion, or for that matter, any monotheistic religion that speaks of Jesus, is that they sometimes have problems with not just the people, but the laws of such religions. However, there are misconceptions of what constitutes real Christian doctrine and applied Christian doctrine (or possibly, falsejealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me..."

with this which pertains to Sakla:

"He is wicked in the mindlessness within him. He said, 'I am God and there is no other God beside me,' since he did not know from where his own strength had come." (The Secret book of John)

and finally....

"After the world was founded, Sakla said to his angels, 'I am a jealous god, and nothing has come into being apart from me.' He felt certain of his nature." (The Holy Book of the Great Invisible Spirit)

However, in Ezekiel 18:20, God retracts what was stated in Exodus 20:5...

"The soul that sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son."

If God is an enlightened being, do you think it is more plausible to assume that the Holy Spirit mucked up his instructions to his followers time and time and time and time again?..... or that the Devil had been trying to pass off his own laws as those of the Holy Spirit's while he was in Heaven before he was cast down to the Earth?

I leave the rest to you. Personally I would take some of the things written in the Old Testament with a grain of salt, and listen more to the New Testament, that is, if you want to judge the whole of Christianity and Christians.

Credits:

Holy Bible (NKJV)

The Gnostic Gospels of Jesus (translated by Marvin Meyer)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,428 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:18 pm
Quote:
Now having been an atheist and a Christian, I have a unique perspective on what atheists have thought their entire lives....

Not to put too fine a point on it . . . Bullshit ! ! !
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:25 pm
Re: Why Atheists Dislike Christianity
thenightmarehero wrote:
By Amin Emilio Aun Joven

Poor you, still young, and don't get jokes already...

(God is a huge joke).
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
Re: Why Atheists Dislike Christianity
thenightmarehero wrote:

Now having been an atheist and a Christian, I have a unique perspective on what atheists have thought their entire lives...

I'm afraid I'm suffering from a case of mild amnesia, could you remind me what I have been thinking all my life?
0 Replies

Unbeliever

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:54 pm
Many, if not most, of the atheists I'm familiar with have been Christians, or other kinds of theists, long before they became atheists. I myself was raised as a Southern Baptist, was "born again" and baptised, and was, for years, "on fire for God".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:01 pm
Speak for yourself. I think you know nothing of my thoughts and conclusions.
0 Replies

KaseyMarie555

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 01:09 pm
Question
What? And do you have an e-mail address? *to the person who wrote the incrediabley long summary* There are things I agree with and things I don't and it's almost like you write this for me.
0 Replies

pstewart

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:18 am
You can't speak for all of any "group" whether atheists, conservatives, boy scouts, race car drivers, etc. We are individuals after all.

I am not at all religious but I like Christianity. I think it helps to keep folks from commiting crimes and harming others. The fear of hellfire is a great deterrent. I also like to see the nativity scene all glowing and pretty. Not all nonbelievers despise believers or think they are idiots. I wish I had a belief in heaven and guardian angels...would make life a lot easier.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 12:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
Quote:

Not to put too fine a point on it . . . Bullshit ! ! !

My sentiments exactly.
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 07:10 pm
I bet he still believes in santa clause too... Razz
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:22 am
Quote:
The problem of why atheists dislike the Christian religion

referring to atheism as a problem is undermining your overall thesis, which i'd support if it was for tolerance of christianity, but you seem to be going a lot farther than that. some of your efforts are admirable, but let me point out a few more things in your text:

Quote:
However, there are misconceptions of what constitutes real Christian doctrine and applied Christian doctrine (or possibly, false Christian doctrine, but more on that later).

"real christian doctrine." i appreciate that's your belief, but again, you're propping up christianity as something that's absolute while targeting an audience that doesn't care if you think it's real.

Quote:
I know one thing that I want all of you to know

atheists want to know things that matter to them. what god is thinking usually isn't on the list.

Quote:
before you continue reading. God is not an idiot, and neither does he want you

more telling atheists what they should do on god's behalf.

Quote:
According to these Gospels, God was the one that warned Noah about Sakla's plans to destroy humanity and made him hide in a cave high up in a mountain with the rest of God's people (there was no ark), and was himself responsible for coercing Adam and Eve to eat of the fruit of tree of knowledge, because every other tree in the garden created for them (by Sakla and his angels!) was laced with poison fruit!

i find that interesting, but i'm actually interested in religion. a lot of people aren't. you're not catering to them as much as once again acting as though the position of theist is more important.

Quote:
God doesn't want you to not think. Far from it, God expects you

again...

Quote:
This is the principle of Gnostic Christianity, that you save yourself by way of self-discovery and knowledge.

fascinating. do you realize that saving yourself by discovery and knowledge is also a principle of atheism?

Quote:
You cannot in good conscience love your enemy while they are trying to kill you.

is there any particular reason why not? i think the dalai lama probably could, i'm not sure, but this obviously isn't addressed to him.

Quote:
But I tell you that those people are more in danger of Hell than you are:

this is where you really start going downhill, or where you're really already there.

Quote:
I am sure if Christ were alive today, at this very moment, he would rather accept a person...

Quote:
...so that they may be saved...

what you're starting to do at this point is pretty much exactly what door-to-door christians do, the same ones you criticize in the beginning of your writing, the only difference is that you're more polite about it. the reason i'm pointing all this out is, i think you mean well... many christians do. but you think there's a difference here, when you simply want there to be one. i don't think you're aware at just how similar their preaching is to yours.

above all, the idea that people should eschew atheism for christianity seems to crop up repeatedly, and the only defense you give for the idea is what god thinks and that christianity "isn't as bad" as they thought!

if you think about that for a bit, you might understand better. no guarantee.

Quote:
Also, some Atheists make their dislike of Christians and Christianity in general on the basis of the famous ten commandments,

i have never met or heard of an atheist (except in this thread of course) who says "y'know, i'd be pretty okay with christianity, if it just wasn't for those darned 10 commandments!"

i think you took something that actually existed and exaggerated it to the point of ridiculous, but if you know such an atheist personally, my apologies. perhaps you were one, but then, you're christian you mentioned Wink

Quote:
He broke the fourth commandment of not working on the Sabbath by healing the sick and dying on the Sabbath!

funny, that's the most literal interpretation you could get from that passage. i thought the point being made was the opposite.

Quote:
AND he's going to break the 7th commandment because he's personally stated that he will be "coming as a thief..."

okay, maybe you're just pointing out the ridiculousness of literal interpretations, a la skeptics annotated bible. or you really do think he's going to break the 7th commandment.

Quote:
If there is anything that I find despicable about Christianity myself, it is people pretending to be Christians who are actually children of the Devil and Satanists in disguise,

that always gets me down as well. children of the devil and satan can be a real trifle, ask any atheist and he will agree.

again, i'm not faulting what must be your intent here, but your writing comes across as a little dishonest- the kind of dishonesty that comes from not listening to yourself or reading what you write.

if you want to foster better christian-atheist relations, you're going about this all wrong. look at the above quotes- your own writing, those are things that are going to lose on your behalf.

on the other hand if you want to convert atheists to some religion, then you really, really don't understand, and addressing atheists is going to prove completely pointless for you. spend your time on your religion instead, and leave them alone.

but you have options, i mean practical ones. the idea of making things less tense between the religious and the non-religious is worth an effort in my book. after all, as we're both aware, religion has been a vector for human suffering for thousands of years.

if you want to change that, you're going to have to keep trying. and you're going to have to make some adjustments to your approach. good luck with it.

oh... and good job not ending with "amen." Wink
0 Replies

acepilot

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:46 am
MC Kruger wrote:
I bet he still believes in santa clause too... Razz

SANTA!! Surprised
0 Replies