"Aunt and Uncle Day" a new Holiday?

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:27 am
I am trying to find the origin of a day that is listed by the ecard companies as July 26th. I found that Tony Hill, a Florida State Senator legislated this holiday in 2005 but I have not been lucky at finding out if any other states have done the same, why Sen Hill did this, what purpose it has served and what the consequences of having a day named for aunts and uncles has been. If you can steer me in a direction to locate this research I would be grateful. (Note, I have sent Senator Hill an email asking some of these questions and am waiting a reply.)

Cheryl Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 19,972 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:57 am
wawknboots--

Welcome to A2K.

"Uncle and Aunt Day" sounds to me as though it had been inspired by greeting card companies rather than a great groundswell of popular for uncles and aunts.

At one point, toy manufacturers lobbied to have the Fourth of July turned into a second "gift day" for children of all ages.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
"Be nice to uncle, little girl. Don't you know today is Uncles' Day?"

--that's what I have to think of, can't help it.
0 Replies

wwjdfrog

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 10:47 pm
Aunts Day - The Origin
In answer to your question, I grew up in the family that originated it. Here in my Father's words is a brief description of why and when it began; he and his siblings are the ones that started it and we have celebrated it my entire life.

[QUOTE]In 1947 my four sisters (two sets of twins) decided to honor our maiden Aunts, who did things with us six children that mother could not do……movies, shopping for NEW items of clothing, make available a library of reading material….and lots of other things. So they created for our family a celebration of Aunt's Day the Sunday after Mother's Day. Every year thereafter, we took all of the Aunts to Church, sporting corsages and took them out to dinner. As we all grew older and married, we continued the family celebration in various locations. We were successful in getting the Day proclaimed officially by Governors of Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, Oregon and New Mexico. We lobbied Congress but were unable to get more than a "reading" into the Congressional Record. We also bombarded Hallmark for Aunts Day and Aunts birthday cards. They finally started diversifying their cards, which now are specialized for Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and others.

So, on the Sunday after Mother's Day, remember any of the Aunt's you have experienced. Many times they were second mothers to you.

If you have living Aunts, call them. If they are no longer with us, think of them with love. C. Forrest Brokaw, Jr. Tulsa, OK
[/QUOTE]
0 Replies

Aimus

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 06:36 pm
I have a couple of Aunts I would like to Honor with a Day!
I have aunts that helped their sisters with her kids and my mom helped them with theirs. They took me and my bother out to explore the world or what little there was in Arkansas. We were the real life aunts, uncles, and cousins of the world. I would love to honor my aunts, uncles, and cousins for being a part of my life. They may judge you, but they always love you. They will be there for you because your're family. I'm sorry for those who haven't experienced that.
0 Replies

Mandibrooke

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 01:47 pm
I have seen on several wesites that Aunt's day is listed as March 8th, and one or two say june. I am a very involved and have no children and am going to bring it up to my family. What date is it?
wwjdfrog

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 04:26 am
@Mandibrooke,
Hi there, my family is the first, to our knowledge to start Aunt's Day and have had it proclaimed officially not just by a local mayor but several times by the Governor of Oklahoma. It is always celebrated the Sunday after Mother's Day, in May. I would be more than happy to send you both articles, the history my dad, one of the six children who started Aunt's Day for their five or so Aunts who during the depression were a lot like second mothers, most wit no children of their own, helping to provide for the six growing nephews & nieces - born 1928 to 1933, my dad, a set of girl twins, my uncle, and another set of girl twins - 6 Kids in 5 Years! Their efforts at Aunts Day recognition slowly but surely got the Greeting card industry to start making cards FOR Aunts & Uncles. They would be more than happy for other families to Honor their families aunts, in the way they honored theirs. My Great Aunts lives were enriched by being honored this way every year. I hope your family embraces it the way we do. Again, I'd be more than happy to give you some more background and/or documents. EVEN POEMS! Just let me know, Susan
0 Replies