Anne Bancroft's Monologue/ Introductions

Phoenix32890

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:46 pm
@happytraveler,
Damn.............When I saw your post, which was a reply to a question that I wrote on 2002, I checked again. Apparently, the monologue had been put on You Tube, and then removed. Someone is a real spoilsport!!!

www.wikio.com/video/anne-bancroft-yma-dream-126446
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:56 pm
Checking around a bit, I discovered that at one time, Yma Dream was on You Tube in a number of places, and subsequently removed.

I did find something. If you want to spend for an old copy of the New Yorker, on a digital format,they have the entire skit. If you don't. the New Yorker has an abstract of the routine.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1962/02/24/1962_02_24_035_TNY_CARDS_000270303
0 Replies

Carol Waterman

Wed 15 Dec, 2010 02:29 pm
@babsatamelia,
I saw her do that on Public TV more than 20 years ago. It was a wonderful dramatic monologue. I wish I could see it again. We need the message, especially when marriage is getting such a bum rap.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 15 Dec, 2010 04:28 pm
here it is phoenix....

I remember this as a high school freshman. Someone in my class did this a a recitation.
Phoenix32890

Fri 17 Dec, 2010 04:18 pm
@chai2,
Chai- Thank you so much. I owe you!!!
0 Replies

Mary Jo

Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:44 am
@Phoenix32890,
FictionYma Dreamby Thomas Meehan
February 24, 1962
Read the full text of this article in the digital edition (subscription required).
Share Print E-Mail Single Page Keywords
Cocktail Party; Dream; Introductions; Names; Parties; Sumac, Yma ABSTRACT: In this dream, which the writer has had on the night of the full moon for the past 3 months, he is giving a cocktail party in honor of Yma Sumac, the Peruvian singer. Since all of his guests seem to know him rather intimately & do not know one another, Miss Sumac suggests that he introduce the guests only by their first name. The guests are: Ava Gardner, Abba Eban, Oona O'Neill, Ugo Betti, Ona Munson, Ida Lupino, the young Aga Khan, Ira Wolfert, Ilya Ehrenburg, Eva Gabor, & Uta Hagen. Complications arise when he has to make the introductions. "Yma, Uta; Yma, Ava; Yma, Oona; Yma, Ona; Yma, Ida; Yma, Ugo; Yma, Abba; Yma, Ilya; Yma, Ira; Yma, Aga; Yma, Eva." Miss Sumac becomes annoyed. The circle of guests move menacingly toward the writer. When the bell rings & it is the Polish concert pianist, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, the dream ends.

Thomas Meehan, Fiction, “Yma Dream,” The New Yorker, February 24, 1962, p. 35

To get more of The New Yorker's signature mix of politics, culture and the arts: Subscribe now
Newyorker.com has a complete archive of The New Yorker, back to 1925. The complete archive is available to subscribers in the digital edition. If you subscribe to the magazine, register now to get access. If you don't, subscribe now.

You can also buy online access to a single issue. Individual back issues are available for sale through our customer-service department, at 1-800-825-2510.

All articles published before May, 2008, can be found in “The Complete New Yorker,” which is available for purchase on hard drive and DVD. Most New Yorker articles published since December, 2000, are available through Nexis.

To search for New Yorker cartoons and covers, visit the Cartoon Bank.

More in this section
You’ve Got News
The Lamb Roast
The Efficiency Dilemma
Pandora’s Briefcase
[Showcase]
[Postscript]
The Cliché Expert Takes the Stand
The Rubber Room
Man in the Moon
Madoff and his Models
Go Welcome Log in | Help | Register Most PopularMOST E-MAILEDThis IssuePaul Haggis Vs. the Church of Scientology
The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama
Demetri Martin: “Who Am I?”
News Desk: How Qaddafi Lost Libya
Lower Costs and Better Care for Neediest Patients
The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama
Paul Haggis Vs. the Church of Scientology
The Future of the Israeli Newspaper Haaretz
What the science of human nature can teach us
This Issue
Steve Coll: A new strategy in Afghanistan is revealed.
Wendell Steavenson: Were the Egyptian protesters right to trust the military?
John Lahr: “Spider-Man”: Zap! Pow! Splat! Ouch!
James Wood: Teju Cole’s prismatic début novel, “Open City.”
THE MAGAZINE: FEBRUARY 28, 2011
Table of Contents | Digital Edition | iPad
Buy the Book: “20 Under 40: Stories from The New Yorker” IPAD APP
Every story, every cartoon, every Monday.
Follow Us
NewslettersPodcastsFeeds

This Week: Links to articles and Web-only features in your inbox every Monday.

Cartoons: A weekly note from the New Yorker's cartoon editor.

Podcasts
Fiction writers read favorite stories, author interviews, a weekly political roundtable. Subscribe via iTunes
Feeds
Keep up with The New Yorker and newyorker.com using your favorite RSS reader.
Available to subscribers via the digital edition. More From The New Yorker
Cartoons of the Year 2010
A special edition with 300 cartoons and an introduction by Roz Chast. Available at newsstands and the Cartoon Bank. The New Yorker Festival
Streaming video of Ian Frazier, Cynthia Nixon, Stephen King, Annie Proulx, and more. Digital Edition
A Web-based replica of our latest issue and complete archive Kindle edition
Get the magazine on your Amazon e-reader. Nook Edition
Get the magazine on your Barnes & Noble e-reader. Animated Cartoons on the Go
Download the app from the iTunes store. Audio Edition
Subscribe to a weekly download of selected articles from the magazine, at Audible. The New Yorker Store
New Yorker books, art prints, and logo wear. The Cartoon Bank
Cartoon and cover art; prints, T-shirts, licensing, and other gifts On the Town
Exclusive events and offers from The New Yorker’s advertising and promotion department.
47 issues (one year) for just $39.95 plus a FREE New Yorker Tote on payment!

* Plus applicable sales tax
First Name
Last Name
Address 1
Address 2
City
State Choose Alabama Alaska American samoa APO/FPO-Americas APO/FPO-Other APO/FPO-Pacific Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Marshall Islands Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Northern Mariana Islands Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Palau Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Virgin Islands Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Zip

Privacy Policy Orders Outside the USA About Us Contact Us Newsletters Blogs Archive Press Center RSS Feeds Subscription Services Careers New Yorker Store Reprints/Permissions The New Yorker Media Kit
Condé Nast DigitalMore news, politics, culture, business, and technology:

Architectural Digest Golf Digest GQ Vanity Fair Wired Subscribe to a magazine:
Subscribe to a magazine View All Titles - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Allure Architectural Digest Bon Appétit Brides Condé Nast Traveler Details Glamour Golf Digest Golf World GQ Lucky Self Teen Vogue The New Yorker Vanity Fair Vogue W Wired Visit our sister sites:
Visit our sister sites - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Allure Architectural Digest Ars Technica Bon Appétit Brides.com Condé Nast Traveler Concierge Details Epicurious Glamour Golf Digest Golf World GQ Hotel Chatter Jaunted Lucky NutritionData Reddit Self Style Teen Vogue The New Yorker Vanity Fair Vegas Chatter Vogue W Wired Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (Revised January 7, 2009) and Privacy Policy (Revised January 7, 2009). The New Yorker © 2011 Condé Nast Digital. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast Digital.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1962/02/24/1962_02_24_035_TNY_CARDS_000270303#ixzz1F2oHhL9v
0 Replies

Mary Jo

Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:51 am
@Phoenix32890,

FictionYma Dreamby Thomas Meehan
February 24, 1962
Read the full text of this article in the digital edition (subscription required).
Share Print E-Mail Single Page Keywords
Cocktail Party; Dream; Introductions; Names; Parties; Sumac, Yma ABSTRACT: In this dream, which the writer has had on the night of the full moon for the past 3 months, he is giving a cocktail party in honor of Yma Sumac, the Peruvian singer. Since all of his guests seem to know him rather intimately & do not know one another, Miss Sumac suggests that he introduce the guests only by their first name. The guests are: Ava Gardner, Abba Eban, Oona O'Neill, Ugo Betti, Ona Munson, Ida Lupino, the young Aga Khan, Ira Wolfert, Ilya Ehrenburg, Eva Gabor, & Uta Hagen. Complications arise when he has to make the introductions. "Yma, Uta; Yma, Ava; Yma, Oona; Yma, Ona; Yma, Ida; Yma, Ugo; Yma, Abba; Yma, Ilya; Yma, Ira; Yma, Aga; Yma, Eva." Miss Sumac becomes annoyed. The circle of guests move menacingly toward the writer. When the bell rings & it is the Polish concert pianist, Mieczyslaw Horszowski, the dream ends.

Thomas Meehan, Fiction, “Yma Dream,” The New Yorker, February 24, 1962, p. 35

To get more of The New Yorker's signature mix of politics, culture and the arts: Subscribe now
Newyorker.com has a complete archive of The New Yorker, back to 1925. The complete archive is available to subscribers in the digital edition. If you subscribe to the magazine, register now to get access. If you don't, subscribe now.

You can also buy online access to a single issue. Individual back issues are available for sale through our customer-service department, at 1-800-825-2510.

All articles published before May, 2008, can be found in “The Complete New Yorker,” which is available for purchase on hard drive and DVD. Most New Yorker articles published since December, 2000, are available through Nexis.

To search for New Yorker cartoons and covers, visit the Cartoon Bank.

0 Replies

OldFan

Tue 12 Mar, 2013 05:10 pm
@BillyFalcon,
A dozen double damask dinner napkins? There was a marvelous routine by (oh, dear; senior moment) a very famous British comedienne in a movie I saw a long time ago. I believe it was a vaudeville routine
0 Replies

Tweed

Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:45 pm
@happytraveler,
Just google Anne Bancroft Yma Dream. it's all over YouTube. So brilliant!
0 Replies

SpanishHarlemRose

Wed 4 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@happytraveler,
I am guessing, since I am replying 5 years after your post, that you have found the clip...but just in case you haven't, to find Anne Bancroft's skit search "Yma Dream" on YouTube and enjoy! 😀
ossobuco

Wed 4 Mar, 2015 05:19 pm
@SpanishHarlemRose,
Welcome to a2k, SpanishHarlemRose.
0 Replies