a moving story -A Boy and His Tree

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
A Boy and His Tree

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved to come and play around it every day. He climbed to the tree top, ate the apples, took a nap under the shadow… He loved the tree and the tree loved to play with him.

Time went by…The little boy had grown up and he no longer played around the tree.

One day, the boy came back to the tree and looked sad. “Come and play with me,” the tree asked the boy.

“I am no longer a kid, I don’t’ play around trees anymore.” The boy replied, “I want toys. I need money to buy them.” “Sorry, but I don’t have money…but you can pick all my apples and sell them. So, you will have money.” The boy was so excited. He picked all the apples on the tree and left happily. The boy didn’t come back after he picked the apples. The tree was sad.

One day, the boy returned and the tree was so excited. “Come and play with me.” The tree said. “I don’t have time to play. I have to work for my family. We need a house for shelter. Can you help me?” “Sorry, but I don’t’ have a house. But you can cut off my branches to build your house.” So the boy cut all the branches of the tree and left happily.

The tree was glad to see him happy but the boy didn’t appear since then. The tree was again lonely and sad. One hot summer day, the boy returned and the tree was delighted. “Come and play with me!” the tree said.

“I am sad and getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you give me a boat?” “Use my trunk to build the boat. You can sail and be happy.” So the boy cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He went sailing and did not show up for a long time.

Finally, the boy returned after he left for so many years. “Sorry, my boy. But I don’t’ have anything for you anymore. No more apples for you.” the tree said. “ I don’t have teeth to bite.” The boy replied. “ No more trunk for you to climb on.” “I am too old for that now.” the boy said. “I really want to give you something…the only thing left is my dying roots.” The tree said with tears. “I don’t’ need much now, just a place to rest. I am tired after all these years.” The boy replied. “Good! Old tree roots are the best place to lean on and rest. Come here, please sit down with me and have a rest.” The boy sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears…

This is a story of everyone. The tree is our parent. When we were young, we loved to play with Mom and Dad… When we grow up, we leave them, and only come to them when we need something or when we are in trouble. No matter what, parents will always be there and give everything they could to make you happy. You may think that the boy is cruel to the tree but that"s how all of us are treating our parents.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,076 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:50 pm
But it's ok, because that's how our kids will treat us. That's carmic retribution for you Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:08 pm
What about trees that overshadow seedlings, causing them to wither and die?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
Re: a moving story -A Boy and His Tree
ausuccess wrote:
You may think that the boy is cruel to the tree but that"s how all of us are treating our parents.

It's probably best not to make such broad generalizations.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:22 am
Whoa; yet another way for parents to give kids the guilt trip in story form. Razz
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:13 pm
Isn't that from the childrens book The Giving Tree?
0 Replies

ausuccess

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:15 am
yeah
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:06 am
This only goes to show that I am better than the lot of you. I've not yet dismembered my parents, and get this, I've no intention of ever doing so.

Americans...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
I love this story - "The Giving Tree". I have read this to my daughter (now 7) since she was a baby. She loves the story too. The story grows with her - as now we talk about how generous the tree is and gives of yourself so unselfishly.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
Linkat wrote:
I love this story - "The Giving Tree". I have read this to my daughter (now 7) since she was a baby. She loves the story too. The story grows with her - as now we talk about how generous the tree is and gives of yourself so unselfishly.

But it gives of itself to it's own demise and does so, to a large degree, to satisfy the selfish and materialistic desires of the boy. That's pathological. Is this really a message we would want our young to internalize?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
Ahh Mills look at the bright side.

You must be a "glass half empty" sort.

I look at the positive of the story and emphasize that.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
Linkat wrote:
Ahh Mills look at the bright side.

You must be a "glass half empty" sort.

I look at the positive of the story and emphasize that.

No, I'm a "what's in the glass?" sort. :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
Mills - the tree does not actually give to its own demise. It implies this at first when after giving (what you think is the final piece) its trunk, the book states…"the tree was happy, but not really." The tree felt it had nothing left to give that is why it was not really happy. When I read this book to my daughter more recently - I asked why the tree was not really happy - and she understood that there was nothing left - but that is not the truth…I had a good lesson to teach from that.

But then turn the page and voila! The tree does have something to give in the end, her "stump". It just goes to show that you always have something to give. And in the end the boy understands what is happy - just sitting with his friend. It is all on how you take the story.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:17 pm
Linkat wrote:
Mills - the tree does not actually give to its own demise. It implies this at first when after giving (what you think is the final piece) its trunk, the book states…"the tree was happy, but not really." The tree felt it had nothing left to give that is why it was not really happy. When I read this book to my daughter more recently - I asked why the tree was not really happy - and she understood that there was nothing left - but that is not the truth…I had a good lesson to teach from that.

But then turn the page and voila! The tree does have something to give in the end, her "stump". It just goes to show that you always have something to give. And in the end the boy understands what is happy - just sitting with his friend. It is all on how you take the story.

Of course, I'm going by the story as posted in this thread, but what the tree has left to give is its stump and dying roots. The tree is certainly dying because of how much of itself it gave to the boy. The tree reminds me of Boxer in Animal Farm--always working harder and harder, giving of himself until he's worn out, then being sold to the glue factory. I fear we shall have to agree to disagree on whether or not there's any worthy lesson to be learned from this story.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:58 am
Well if you didn't actually read the book - it ends with the words…."and the tree was happy."

Doesn't sound very dismal to me. It is difficult even to discuss a book and it's meaning if one person has not even read it. Although what you state may be true in nature about the roots dying, etc. The book makes no mention of dying - the story itself is not focused on the tree dying, but the fact that no matter what you have (or lack of) you something you can give. The ironic thing is how they reflect the boy growing old. The tree (besides giving of itself) doesn't age. The boy gets worn out - almost seems that the taking side ages him.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:39 am
I got this off of the Shel Silverstein site. Sung by a Bobby Bare and the Family???

It's lyrics to a song about the giving tree I had no idea was ever written. Who knew?

THE GIVING TREE

Once there was a giving tree who loved a little boy.
And everyday the boy would come to play
Swinging from the branches, sleeping in the shade
Laughing all the summer's hours away.
And so they love,
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon the boy grew older and one day he came and said,
"Can you give me some money, tree, to buy something I've found?"
"I have no money," said the tree, "Just apples, twigs and leaves."
"But you can take my apples, boy, and sell them in the town."
And so he did and
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon again the boy came back and he said to the tree,
"I'm now a man and I must have a house that's all my home."
"I can't give you a house" he said, "The forest is my house."
"But you may cut my branches off and build yourself a home"
And so he did.
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And time went by and the boy came back with sadness in his eyes.
"My life has turned so cold," he says, "and I need sunny days."
"I've nothing but my trunk," he says, "But you can cut it down
And build yourself a boat and sail away."
And so he did and
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And after years the boy came back, both of them were old.
"I really cannot help you if you ask for another gift."
"I'm nothing but an old stump now. I'm sorry but I've nothing more to give"
"I do not need very much now, just a quiet place to rest,"
The boy, he whispered, with a weary smile.
"Well", said the tree, "An old stump is still good for that."
"Come, boy", he said, "Sit down, sit down and rest a while."
And so he did and
Oh, the trees was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:18 am
It still seems profoundly pathological--a mix of masochism and false social consciousness: the tree gleefully gives of itself to its own demise (even young children understanding that trees die when they're cut down) and is only happy when it is of use to the one who exploits it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:43 pm
Poor Mills - can't understand the happy message of the story - only sees the gloomy side.

My daughter is a small child and loves the story - she sees nothing ominous about it.

You are assuming that the tree is giving to its own demise, but it is not. Remember this is a fictional story - it is not about a real live tree. In the story the tree is still alive and it is happy. Trees also do not talk in real life either, but this fictional tree does. If you believe that the tree is capable of giving of itself (which in real life a tree can not consciously do this), then a tree in a fictional story can still live without a trunk and branches.

My child is young and she believes the tree is not dead even though all that is left is a stump. I believe it too under this fictional story. Why can't you believe it especially since you apparently believe that it has consciously given to its own demise.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 04:50 pm
It is a good story. It leaves space to speculate and imagine.

Maybe it is my nature to see darkness where there is none, but this story is a bit dark. Most children's stories seem to be (at least the good ones).

I can see how it would be interesting to discuss with a kid.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
Linkat wrote:
Poor Mills - can't understand the happy message of the story - only sees the gloomy side.

My daughter is a small child and loves the story - she sees nothing ominous about it.

You are assuming that the tree is giving to its own demise, but it is not. Remember this is a fictional story - it is not about a real live tree. In the story the tree is still alive and it is happy. Trees also do not talk in real life either, but this fictional tree does. If you believe that the tree is capable of giving of itself (which in real life a tree can not consciously do this), then a tree in a fictional story can still live without a trunk and branches.

My child is young and she believes the tree is not dead even though all that is left is a stump. I believe it too under this fictional story. Why can't you believe it especially since you apparently believe that it has consciously given to its own demise.

Poor Linkat: come out of the cave and into the pure light of understanding and social consciousness. Cool

I understand it's a sort of fable, but there are boundaries on the suspension of disbelief even in that genre. I see no other logical way to interpret the obvious subtext of this story--give willingly and happily to those who exploit you for their own selfish ends; indeed, always look for ways to be of further use to them. It's certainly not a lesson I would want my offspring to internalize, but to each their own.
0 Replies