[Resolved] Can't delete messages in Outlook Express 6

Mustang

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm
Has anyone else had this problem? I'll state upfront that I am computer IL-literate. During the past couple of months, I intermittently could not delete messages from my OE Inbox. If I returned to the program later in the day, I was successful but since it's now been two days with no results, I called my ISP, Comcast. The tech guided me through hoop-jumping. He had me go into my 'Deleted Items' folder where I got the message: 'Folder could not be displayed. Possible causes are: Low disk space; Low memory.' After supplying information from each new window he had me open, he concluded the problem was not with my computer but rather with the Microsoft program. He said he'd contact Microsoft and get back to me within the next 24 hours. He also supplied an 800# to reach Microsoft if I so desired. If I don't hear from him in a couple of days, I'll call them. My OS is Windows 98SE and I've downloaded every update offered.

Wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem and if so, what the resolution was.

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
Thats not an uncommon glitch. Most typically, the cause is a damaged Deleted Items folder. Try, with Outlook Express NOT RUNNING, going to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{<Long Random Key String Here>}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Locate Deleted Items.dbx, delete it, exit back to your desktop, launch Outlook Express, and see what happens. When OE is launched, Windows should rebuild the .dbx file you deleted.

If that doesn't do the trick, with Outlook Express NOT RUNNING, navigate back to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{<Long Random Key String Here>}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Locate Folders.dbx, delete it, exit back to your desktop, launch OE, and see what happens. You prolly will need to reset your OE preferences after doing either of these.

A good article on Outlook Express glitches and fixes can be found at Microsoft: An Outlook Express basic repair kit, with a related article, The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express offering more troubleshooting tips and techniques. Another useful resource is the MVP website of the author of those 2 articles, Tom Koch's Inside Outlook Express
husker

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:28 pm
Mustang

how the heck are you? where ya been?
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:59 pm
timber, I'm glad I decided to check my email before turning in for the night. I was able to delete some messages from my Inbox. I then went to 'An Outlook Express basic repair kit' and did a couple of things recommended in that article. I did a 'Compact All Folders' which, surprisingly to me, took almost 15 minutes. He also said deleting Temporary Internet Files would help. This was something new to me. Didn't know they'd have an affect on OE. This also took almost 15 minutes. Had time to write two thank you notes during the time I waited for the computer to do its thing.

Earlier today in an effort to clear out some of those messages in my Inbox, I made a new folder entitled 'TRASH', moving a bunch to the new folder. I also deleted that one, too.

Thank you so much for your help. I know we're supposed to be moving further into the paperless society but I printed off your answer and put it in a 3-ring notebook I have for 'Keepers.'

Further proof of how electronically challenged I am: Laughing My niece has been after me for ages to get a DVD player as she said soon I won't be able to rent videos. I've had one for about four months, but couldn't get it to work. Last night my 16 year old Godson was visiting and he hooked it up in about 10 minutes! These kids...

husker, so nice to hear from you. I've been around all the while but don't check in too often. I'm certainly not thin-skinned but I find attitudes are so strong on A2K. They seem to be divided into two groups: The 'elites' or the 'rabble-rousers' and I don't consider myself to be either. Wish they all were down to earth and humorous as you and timber--I'd probably be spending two hours a day here. Very Happy

Thanks again for the help, timber. It's really time to turn in for the night. It's 2:00AM for me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:50 am
Glad we rabblerousers were able to help ya, Mustang.
0 Replies

jcors1

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:28 pm
@timberlandko,
u r the man,did Deleted Items.dbx,worked like a charm
jespah

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 01:53 pm
@jcors1,
Yeah, he was really terrific.
0 Replies

Kap Six

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:59 pm
@timberlandko,
timerlandko, You are a genius! The first step you listed worked like a charm!!!!
0 Replies

etaster

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:17 pm
@Mustang,
I fixed mine by making more space in my Delete file. I permanently deleted a few months.
0 Replies

malyaf4ik

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 02:09 am
Outlook does not allow to have Deleted folder more then 2 Gb, to solve the problem delete Deleted.dbx and Folders.dbx files (search for them) when Outlook is closed. Then launch Outlook and it will recreate this folders. This solved the problem for me.
0 Replies

Rachel1019

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:52 pm
@timberlandko,
don't know how old this post it, but found your tip on a Google search today and it worked perfectly - Thank You!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm
@Rachel1019,
Thanks for posting that, Rachel. Timberlandko passed away a while ago now. We still miss him a lot.
0 Replies

smokey888x2

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:22 pm
@timberlandko,
Made it to these directions without resolvement but these directions don't work. First here they are:

[ If that doesn't do the trick, with Outlook Express NOT RUNNING, navigate back to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{<Long Random Key String Here>}\Microsoft\Outlook Express ]

I did the following and got the following:

Start
My Computer
C drive
Documents and Settings (after this it doesn't follow above at all)

I got two icon folders, one was "ALL USERS" and the other was "OWNER"

I presumed I should go to "OWNER" but from there I got the following choices:

File Accela. , Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, Start Menu, Windows

(all these were file folders that I could click on) (by the way I have Windows XP, and I can't delete emails and now my 'log in box keeps popping up'. Things are slowly breaking down, earlier couldn't 'compact' old emails etc.
0 Replies

smokey888x2

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:22 pm
@Mustang,
Well great news, through your mental Hmmmmmmmmmsssssss, I can now delete emails. It appears that the only problem I have left is my logon keeps coming up and I keep clicking "ok" and it keeps coming back .... has the front part of my email address in it and password (coded w/ dots) and I re-entered that too but still comes back up over and over. Any suggestions?
0 Replies