How fast is your Internet connection?

cjhsa

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 08:45 pm
http://www.speakeasy.net
http://giganews.com
http://www.pcpitstop.com

I upgraded my DSL and am consistently getting in the 2.5Mbps range (2500kbps) for download and around 450Kbps upload. Test yours at one or more of the above sites.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,891 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

barefootTia

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 08:55 pm
I have cable, it's not near as good as yours!

502kbps/295kbps
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:01 pm
988/313

I have a 10.0 Mbps connection
0 Replies

cjhsa

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:40 pm
Not with those numbers you don't. 988~=1Mbps.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:42 pm
Probably because of all my firewall stuff, closed ports etc.
0 Replies

Lady J

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:52 pm
That's pretty cool, cjhsa. Thanks for the site!

I got 3973 kbps DL
516 kbps UL

Connection speed shows 100 Mbps

Does that sound about right?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
10Mbps is standard Ethernet, ~1MBps. Watch the caps - I'm an engineer and despise marketing types who don't understand the difference (this isn't directed at you Intrepid). T1 speed is approximately 1.5Mbps, or about 1/7 the speed of standard Ethernet. DSL in many cases is exceeding T1 these days.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Wed 3 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
Lady J wrote:

I got 3973 kbps DL
516 kbps UL

You're screaming Lady J! Very Happy As for the connection speed, the connection between your PC and your modem, DSL or cable, is always going to be 100Mbps - that's fast Ethernet. If you have a wireless connection though, you won't see anything like that for "connection speed".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:02 am
Download speed is 1366 kilobits per second and upload speed 164 kilobits per second.

I wonder if that has to do with the test sites being in USA - I usually dowmload with 2300 kilobits/sec according to my download manager.
(I don't pay for more than 2000, though.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:04 am
Yeah, the distance and number of hops can certainly increase latency. I wouldn't worry about it - but I thought at least one of those sites offered test servers on the other side of the pond.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:24 am
I usually use pcpitstop (and there are some dozen European sites as sites as well) :wink:

Thanks for the response.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:48 am
1063 down and 205 up and I'm in Australia. I suppose it might fluctuate.

Thanks for the sites cjhsa Very Happy
0 Replies

Lady J

Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Lady J wrote:

I got 3973 kbps DL
516 kbps UL

You're screaming Lady J! Very Happy As for the connection speed, the connection between your PC and your modem, DSL or cable, is always going to be 100Mbps - that's fast Ethernet. If you have a wireless connection though, you won't see anything like that for "connection speed".

Hehehe! Now I understand why my son likes my "ping"! Smile I used to have DSL in California, but changed to cable when I moved to Oklahoma. Nuttin wireless. Man, I'm more spoiled than I realized. Thanks, cjhsa! Very Happy
0 Replies

Derevon

Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:34 pm
I get 12.5Mbps down and 1Mbps up from/to a Swedish test site with ADSL2+ (theoretical max speed is 24Mbps down and 1Mbps up). The distance to the nearest telestation makes a huge difference for ADSL2+.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
2966 kbps down/361 kbps up.

I have Road Runner Cable
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:58 pm
Any one speed measurement between your machine and any one particular server is pretty much meaningless; its just what it was between those two machines at that particular time. To really get an idea of what your actual limits are, you should run several tests over a fairly broad time period - like every day, a few times a day, for a week, and test with several different servers. The more measurements you make, to more servers, over more time, the more accurately you'll be able to calculate what you've really got for an average. Once you've got a solid average for a benchmark, you can begin to really tell what's going on with your connection and with other websites.

Check out the various speed and throughput tests at Numion.Com. The website download stopwatch feature there is pretty neat - shows you just how long it takes any given web page you type in to load on your machine.

Oh, my ADSL connection is nominally 3M down, 512K up - it averages around 2.8M down, 480K up on straight speed tests, which is roughly consistent with stopwatch-timed FTP transfers of known-size files.

Except, of course, for when it crashes - the local telco has a way of screwing things up in most imaginative fashion. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
Being technologically challenged, the only honest answer I can give to the initial question is Fast Enough. The screwy part is there are times when a site loads up almost instantly and other times when it crawls along at a much slower pace. An earlier post indicated it having to do something with both parties of the connection, i.e. me and them.

What I can say with a fair level of happiness is that it is faster than going through massive volumes of reference books in order to find an answer so it is in all cases fast enough for me and I see no reason to complain.
0 Replies

Chumly

Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:09 pm
I have 23 Mbps / 2.7 Mbps, however my ISP claims I am good for 100 Mbps; but at the moment I am on WIFI upstairs in the master-bedroom, so there you be.
0 Replies