Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Check this out:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/8015

Quote:

(Angus Reid Global Scan) - Many adults in the United States disagree with the theory of evolution, according to a poll by Harris Interactive. 54 per cent of respondents reject the notion that human beings developed from earlier species.

Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species" was first published in 1859. The book details the British naturalist's theory that all organisms gradually evolve through the process of natural selection. Darwin's views were antagonistic to creationism, the belief that a more powerful being or a deity created life. 64 per cent of respondents think humans were created directly by God, while 22 per cent favour evolution. Ten per cent of respondents support the concept of intelligent design, which suggests certain biological mechanisms are too complex to have developed without the involvement of a powerful force or intelligent being.

In the United States, the debate on the topic accelerated after the 1925 Scopes trial, which tested a law that banned the teaching of evolution in Tennessee public schools. Last year, Georgia's Cobb County was at the centre of a controversy on whether science textbooks that explain evolutionary theory should include disclaimer stickers. 55 per cent of respondents believe all three theories-creationism, evolution and intelligent design-should be taught in public schools.

The Kansas State Board of Education is scheduled to vote on new proposed science standards for the teaching of evolution in August. The latest draft includes criticism of evolution by proponents of intelligent design....

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,447 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
The best method of deriving scientific theory is not by debate among non-scientists. If that were the method in use, most likely we'd still believe that the Earth is the center of the solar system. Even to suggest that debate among non-scientists proves anything shows severe flaws in one's judgement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
Gunga Din's a piece of work, Brandon, have fun . . .
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:47 pm
The good news is that many Americans still know the difference between the scientific method and superstition, even when polled with the loaded questions posed by the self interested 'brothers of gunjasnake'.

Too bad for those of the terminally gullible fraternity that the observed evidence for Natural Selection continues to grow daily.

Rap
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:04 pm
That's a little harsh Gunga.

Saying that Americans reject advancement, knowledge or elightenment would be bad enough... but rejecting evolution?

What are you saying... that we are still apes?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:05 pm
Hmmm - I guess this means Americans will stop evolving.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
will stop?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:10 pm
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
I think the reason we aren't evolving is because we don't keep people susceptable to religiously based myopic ideas from reproducing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
Oh goddess - I am so sorry - I don't usually do this stuff - but I just HAVE to!

ok - the same religious/anti-evolution nuts who helped elect him, and pull his strings even today, elected a president who LOOKS LIKE A MISSING LINK!!!!

DON'T YOU PEOPLE SEE THE IRONY!!!!!

There, it's out - nothing to see here folks - move along now -

Last one to the gene pool is a coelanth!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:22 am
BLOOP! BLOOP!!!
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:32 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I think the reason we aren't evolving is because we don't keep people susceptable to religiously based myopic ideas from reproducing.

A comment worthy of Mengele. Doesn't surprise me at all.....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 05:26 am
Somehow being compared to a Nazi by religious extremists doesn't even bother me any more.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:52 am
dlowan wrote:
Oh goddess - I am so sorry - I don't usually do this stuff - but I just HAVE to!

ok - the same religious/anti-evolution nuts who helped elect him, and pull his strings even today, elected a president who LOOKS LIKE A MISSING LINK!!!!

DON'T YOU PEOPLE SEE THE IRONY!!!!!

There, it's out - nothing to see here folks - move along now -

Last one to the gene pool is a coelanth!!!

http://www.gwjokes.com/pictures/evolution.jpghttp://webpages.charter.net/micah/napoleon.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The best method of deriving scientific theory is not by debate among non-scientists. If that were the method in use, most likely we'd still believe that the Earth is the center of the solar system. Even to suggest that debate among non-scientists proves anything shows severe flaws in one's judgement.

It shows the evolutionites are going to lose. The American people have rightly determined that evolution is junk science, and that their having to pay for having their kids indoctrinated in it is bullshit to be dealt with in the political arena.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:18 pm
Quote:
54 per cent of respondents reject the notion that human beings developed from earlier species.

Quote:
64 per cent of respondents think humans were created directly by God, while 22 per cent favour evolution.

So more people think that humans were created directly by God than reject the notion that human beings developed from earlier species? Isn't that, I dunno, a wee bit contradictory?

Shouldn't every person who believes that human beings were created directly by God also believe that humans didn't evolve from an earlier species?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
Why is this topic in Science and Mathematics? It's obvious Gunga wanted a blue over it so it shouild have been in Spirituality or something.

"..evolution is junk science..." so say the American people Gunga? What all of them? No, it can't be, they're not that stupid so that must be wrong.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
Do we have a forum for "Obsessions"???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
Yes, it's called Politics, and Gunga Din wasn't honest enough to post this tripe there . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:51 pm
You can disbelieve evolution, just as you can disbelieve breathing, reproducing, chewing gum. Don't make it an intelligent choice, but, hey, evolution produces many dead ends.
0 Replies