patiodog

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
I have trouble reproducing and chewing gum at the same time.

Wait, that ain't it...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:10 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You can disbelieve evolution, just as you can disbelieve breathing, reproducing, chewing gum. Don't make it an intelligent choice, but, hey, evolution produces many dead ends.

A point well-taken, EB . . . don't forget the Darwin Awards--we can only hope that all the ilk of the evolution-haters are soon winners of that prestigious award . . .
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
You can disbelieve evolution, just as you can disbelieve breathing, reproducing, chewing gum. Don't make it an intelligent choice, but, hey, evolution produces many dead ends.

A point well-taken, EB . . . don't forget the Darwin Awards--we can only hope that all the ilk of the evolution-haters are soon winners of that prestigious award . . .

Most of the "evolution haters" kids are attending private schools or being home schooled.

Your kids will be working for theirs.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
patiodog wrote:
I have trouble reproducing and chewing gum at the same time.

Practice man, practice.

I learned it growing up in New Jersey, but it has come in handy in North Carolina too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:54 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Setanta wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Most of the "evolution haters" kids are attending private schools or being home schooled.

Hey, a little Calvinism thrown into the mix.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:49 pm
No matter how much power and money they have, they can't own the truth.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:12 pm
gungasnake wrote:

No Gunja! If this is true all of our children, yours and mine together, will be working for the Chinese, Pakistani, and Indians, for they will be smart enough not to confuse superstition for good science.

Rap
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
And us Mexicans lol. We're a smart bunch too!
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:42 pm
Mea Culpa El-Diablo, but in a way I wanted to have Gunja realize what he is saying by listing nationalities that aren't usually thought of a Xtian.

Thomas Friedman's Book 'The World is Flat" presents the case that instant global communications and transport (for hard goods) has made nationality and geography meaningless as it applies to technology, commerce and science.

Consequently, stating as fact an unsupported hypothesis tautology such as ID puts anybody behind the educational 8-ball, whether they are home or private schooled.

Rap c∫;?/
0 Replies

g day

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:46 pm
You'd be better placed if someone says something like "I don't believe in evolution because too many critical processes simply can't be reduced to a level of acceptable simplicity where they can self create. Take blood clotting for instance; no less than 22 complex and interrelating chemical processes have to simultaneously self create, and none works without all the others. Its impossible to concieve nature just lucked in the odds are beyond astronomical" - and then they dopely go for intelligent design not realising it is really a psuedo science as a snub to evolution.

But just to say "nah - don't believe it" doesn't add to world knowledge, its just shows a bias with no reasoned or intellectual basis.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
Oh good, another GangaSnake rant, I just love these things Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
Let's do another poll just like this one, but this time, before we ask people if they *agree* with evolution, let's ask them if they even know what it is. Then let's test them on it to see how many actually do.

Here's an interesting poll to try:

Let's record the opinions of *only* those people who actually *understand* the scientific theory of evolution by means of natural selection. Want to place any bets on what *those* poll results will look like?
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
I.D.'s logic seems to boil down to:

Well, a human eye is a complex organ and when we proceed to try to apply biologic reverse engineering techniques we end up with a condition that makes our head hurt-- so why not employ the old deus ex machina?

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George's boss locks himself out of his office. His solution, similar to I.D's Irreducible Complexity, is summed up in his comment: "Oh well, I guess I'll just go home!"

JM
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
JamesMorrison wrote:
I.D.'s logic seems to boil down to:

Well, a human eye is a complex organ and when we proceed to try to apply biologic reverse engineering techniques we end up with a condition that makes our head hurt-- so why not employ the old deus ex machina

Interesting! Conceptualizing ID as a symptom of national ADD.

Woo---I've been thinking about things that have been happening for eons for at least 45 seconds---hey lets accept ID and all go watch TV, I hear there's a new reality show.

Rap c∫;?/
0 Replies