Why aren't Westerns popular anymore?

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 04:35 pm
Oh, and Dances With Wolves was crap.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 06:32 pm
An essay on the Classic Western.

I love the westerns that preceded 1965, in general. In later years, I have been more selective, and have liked a number of the newer ones for different reasons.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 08:03 am
"Roger Ebert" Setanta said
Quote:

F**k you
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
Why someone would or would not be a part of the "dregs" of society was not my point. My point is the unreality of making a hero of someone who was in those circumstances.....
......We have no more reason to make heroes of these people than we do to demonize them. Nevertheless, "cowboys" have become the central figures in a powerful American myth which hasn't a shred of basis in fact.

You misunderstood me I think. I was merely commenting that it would not have been easy to stick to the straight and narrow given the options available at the time. I was by no means disagreeing with you.

(And, it seems, the same surely can be said about today's celebrity 'heroes'.)

Setanta wrote:
"Cowboys" came from all over North America, and from Europe. Even a good number from Australia--in the "Gold Rush" days of California, the liveliest, and most dangerous, gambling/prostitution district in San Francisco was the one where the Australians had congregated.

I'm not too sure of the relevance here. Yes, I am well aware that cowboys came from various backgrounds and countries. When I went to school, our studies of history went beyond the borders of Australia. I did learn about the exploration of America and the gold rush (we had one of them, too). You would not be 'demonizing' Australians because some of us congregated in 'the liveliest, and most dangerous, gambling/prostitution district in San Francisco' in the Gold Rush days of California, would you? :wink: Of course not!

My own slant on 'The West' was that it comprised three separate yet interlocking categories -

The West - which was the earlier opening up of America by the explorers and trappers and then settlers moving out from the Eastern cities;

The Wild West - Those settlers putting down stakes and building their farms and ranches, their troubles with the original inhabitants not wanting their lands and way of life taken from them, the military presence, the cowboys, the outlaws etc.; and

The Wild, Wild West - The gold rush, California and its Barbary Coast (where one of our most famous bushrangers, Frank Gardiner, ran a hotel after being exiled from Australia).

This is a simplistic overview, I know. To me, "Westerns" (movies) come from that middle category.

Setanta wrote:
For an accurate view of life in the forecastle, i'd say skip Billy Budd and read Two Years Before the Mast, by Richard Henry Dana.

Agreed.

I used 'Billy Budd' only to illustrate how a young innocent could be so totally unable to cope with the circumstances that beset him.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:57 pm
farmerman wrote:
"Roger Ebert" Setanta said
Quote:

F**k you

I didn't mind the movie; it was Kevin Costner I could not deal with.
(The original wooden Indian!)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 09:59 pm
Sometimes I like Costner, I liked him in Open Range....but more than often I don't....I didn't care for "Dances" either.

I think it was McDonalds....that practically gave copies of that movie away when you bought...anything...from them.

Well, not gave away, but they were very cheap...and I don't think it was the only movie they did that way...I'll have to look and see if I can find something on that.

------

After much speculation, McDonald's Corp. was expected to announce this week its Holiday Film Festival promotion offering Orion Home Video's Dances With Wolves between Thanksgiving and Christmas for $7.99. An announcement detailing the plan was to be made on Nov. 16. {1993}

A McDonald's release states that customers at participating McDonald's restaurants may purchase the Oscar-winning Kevin Costner epic with the purchase of any large sandwich or breakfast sandwich.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 10:44 pm
Often I agree with Lezzles.

I've been clamping my toes re typing, re Set's last post, day's now., Not to argue with it, as such, but to claim that he missed the irony. That's for Lezzles to point out to him, if she feels like it.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:15 am
osso,

I don't do much ironying these days. Tracky-daks and T-shirts do just fine if you fold them straight from the dryer or clothesline. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:41 am
I can remember wishing throughout the entire "Dances With Wolves," that if Costner hadn't been so egotistical as to cast himself and actually picked an actor up to the task like Russell Crowe, I would more appreciate the message. The film is still over-long and borrowing the buffalo stampeded from "How the West Was Won" if not plagerism was at least pretentious self-serving me-tooism.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:03 am
Yes.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:14 am
Mind you, though it always seems to attract harsh criticism, I rather enjoyed Silverado. I even thought Kevin Costner was reasonably good in that. He actually moved on occasion and if memory serves me right, he even changed his facial expression once or twice. Scott Glenn never fails to give value for money, and Jeff Goldblum aced it as the oily snake.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:23 am
I guess the Academy voters were all teenagers that year and had never seen "How the West Was Won." As soon as the first sound of the bison hooves and I got the first glimpse of the stamped, I just rolled my eyes because this wasn't the only overtly repetitious imagery or scripting in the movie. I think Costner basically told the Director of Photography, the cinematographer Dean Semler, who also did "Waterworld" and more recently "Apocalypto" to watch old epic Westerns, although he also was responsible for "Young Guns" and "Young Guns II." Of course, Mel Gibson I'm sure considered the Semler as he also worked on "Mad Max II" and "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome." Semler is credited several times as "Director of Photography" which means he wasn't always behind the camera and, I suspect, if one looked at all these films, they would find more than one cameraman. I remember reading somewhere that Costner was responsible for setting up many of the shots including the bison stampede. The movie didn't deserve the Oscar for anything more than its thematic material which was done much better in films like "Thunderheart."

"Silverado" is an unabashed homage to the traditional Western film with a small spike of humorous satire. Better soundtrack, too, as John Barry's for "Dances With Wolves" is a single theme drone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:37 am
I'm seeing that "3:10 TO YUMA" with Russell Crowe and Christine Bale (in the Glenn Ford role) looks like a good Western remake out this Friday, the 7th, so let's see what it does at the box office. It's being described as inspired by Sam Pekinpah grittiness and gore and perhaps overlong with may an obligatory Indian fight thrown into the middle of the film, to make Crowe appear a more heroic character despite that he's an outlaw.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 04:51 pm
Quigley Down Under...another one I've always enjoyed...caught it last night on cable.

I almost bought a similar rifle to the one featured in the film...it was a Browning rolling block, in the more standard 45/70 caliber, but otherwise it was nearly the same rifle....double triggers, 34" octagon barrel, with the vernier sights.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:14 pm
As much as I love western movies, I found it difficult to sit through How the West Was Won.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:36 am
How the West was Won ws a pointless rambling vehicle for a few movie stars. Kinda stupid and totally boring.
To put down "Dances>>>" means that maybe Im the only one who ws impressed by the pains they went through in the depiction of Indian life from what we know..
Ill go out on a limb and state that, in 20 years "Dances..." will appear as fresh as it did when it was released. WHereas "How the West" xcouldnt decide whether it wanted to be a musical comedy every so often,

The closest epic Western IMHO is "The Big Country" It dated of course , bt it never loses sight of a main story.

The "Searchers"on the other hand, to me, has gone from a kid favorite movie to one where I wtch it if I need a good laugh at how Mr Huston liked people to "Overact".

Nobody commented on the "Three Burials of Melchiados EStrada"-Am I the only one who saw this one? If so, you MUST rent it somewhere.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
I have copies of The Big Country and The Searchers. To me, they are both fine films. When I watched Dances With Wolves, I was in the company of a person whose presence detracted from the film. What I saw of it was very good, in my opinion. Another I like is Man Called Horse.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 10:26 pm
In today's The Obserber: The New West wins its spurs

Quote:
Westerns are not what they used to be. Young actors who weren't even born when John Wayne died of cancer in 1979 complain of the difficulty of riding horses across vast, empty plains: 'After a couple of days of cowboy boot camp, from my groin to my knees was the colour of pinot noir,' says Ben Foster of his role as Russell Crowe's sidekick in the remake of the 1957 western 3:10 to Yuma.
[...]
In the modern genre, the baddies may have changed, but we're still in a black-and-white world where good must triumph over evil. Although in 3:10 to Yuma, Crowe's unrepentant villain is actually a more attractive character than the conventional hero played by Christian Bale. Crowe's charisma and presence ensure that he dominates the screen in a way that will remind seasoned moviegoers of Wayne. ... ... ...

http://i17.tinypic.com/4xl2fdd.jpg
The Observer, 09.09.07, Review, page 3
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:35 am
Just watched the first installment (on ION TV) of McMurtry's Streets of Laredo. What a bore. Two hours of endless rambling. May watch to see if the next part shapes up, but am not hopeful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:47 am
I read the book"STREETS OF LAREDO" shortly after I read Lonesome DOve. It wasnt half as good as Lonesome Dove, which was McMurtry's best attempt at those tragi-comedic epics that he started to spin out (like the Berrybender Chronicles). McMurtry has produced so much good literature and, at the same time, so much really bad crap (think "Loop Group") you have to do a test of each book to see if its worth pursuing. Ive never bought a McMurtry book (except Lonesome DOve), all the rest were library loans because I was alaways afraid that this next one was gonna be a stinker.
0 Replies