Is Cultural Relativity valid?

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
Val:

No. I am not saying that normative questions are subjective. I am saying that the culteral relativist simply cannot ask normative statements.

Culteral relativists can only answer normative and ethical questions within the structure of the culture. Normative and Ethical questions do not have objective answers - they can only answer them relative to the culture.

TF
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:29 am
TTF

But that is my point.
I don't see how normative and Ethical questions can have objective answers.
To accept that Ethic values are not relative brings us to the question:
why is an ethic value objective? And the answer must be: because a god said so, or because of the Pure Ideas from Plato.
If you don't accept Plato's theory of Forms, and is you don't accept the notion of God, how can you establish the foundations of an absolute moral?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
val wrote:
TTF

But that is my point.
I don't see how normative and Ethical questions can have objective answers.
To accept that Ethic values are not relative brings us to the question:
why is an ethic value objective? And the answer must be: because a god said so, or because of the Pure Ideas from Plato.
If you don't accept Plato's theory of Forms, and is you don't accept the notion of God, how can you establish the foundations of an absolute moral?

One can objectively answer that the answer to the ethical question "Is it justifiable to kill in self defence?" is such and such in this or that culture.
0 Replies