Social Construction of Reality?

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:11 pm
Hello
I'm an International student at UW Madison, last week while I was in my ethics class the teacher asked us all a question which was --->what does the social construction of reality have to do with creating "want" or a state of want? I'm really confused with it so, would it be possible if someone would be nice enough and explain it to me. Ideas, examples,thoughts etc...

If not I'll understand !

Cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:22 pm
well let me offer this though it may not meet your needs. a social construction of reality might be applied with the concept of relative deprivation. Lets say that poverty was once defined as not having running water in the house but today poverty might be described as not having cable t.v in the house. In this case poverty is being redefined by the social construction of "wants" exceeding a prior definition of "wants"
0 Replies

Jazzfreak13

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:07 pm
Yes I agree. As humans we view the world a certain way, some differently than others, and this perspective on what is "cool" or "accepted" can create longings or wants for certain things. For instance, if girls in a school start popularizing mini-skirts, other girls will have the desire to obtain a skirt because of the way they view the culture. They want to be "cool". Another way to look at it is that in society we create views on the world and in one classification we compare everything socially, clothes, mind-set, language, intelligence. We, looking to fit in, want to have accepted traits and mannerisms in these categories in order to fit in with the rest of reality. Basically it is going along with prominent values in today's society, simply wanting to fit in, wanting what is commonly considered the best (or standard).

Don't take me the wrong way, these are just my beliefs on what the question possed means.
0 Replies

Jazzfreak13

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:09 pm
It can also work as an opposition toward negetives (perhaps I was to specific).
0 Replies

GlobalDJ

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:40 pm
WOW
Thank you soo much guys, I understand it now!
The examples given were great and they all really helped me.
I guess you all we'll see me around here pretty often

Cheers
0 Replies