Worst film ever "The Postman"

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:55 am
If this is going to be another worst movie ever made thread, we've gone that course recently. As mediocre as "The Postman" was, it's definitely not the worst ever made. It's just extraordinary that Costner would tackle this material -- it made as much sense as John Travolta trying to turn a mediocre space opera into a movie, the ridiculous "Battlefield Earth" with Travolta dressed up in silly looking dreadlocks that made him look like he needed a drastic make-over. And those boots! He had to be thinking this should be played for laughs?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:27 pm
Kevin Costner makes pretty much two sorts of movies -- ones about water and ones about baseball. In each of his movies, he walks into a too low door jamb and knocks himself out. His talent consists largely of looking into a camera in a sensual way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:39 pm
I have an idea...I shall a start a new thread. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:16 pm
"JFK," "Thirteen Days," "Dances With Wolves," to name a few are not about water or baseball. His most famous part would likely be "Bull Durham" which is arguably the best movie every made about baseball and he was in one of the other good movies about baseball, "Field of Dreams." I can't think of any other "water" movie other than "Waterworld" which gained its notariety over the bloated budget.

He's been in more than a handful of films and yet one of my favorite roles is the rakish vagabond in "Fandango."

If you look at his entire filmography, he's really tackled a wide range of roles including the villain.
I did like his Robin Hood but it was nearly impossible to replace Errol Flynn.

Here's the link to his filmography:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000126/

"Open Range" is an excellent Western which is about a baseball player who swims across rivers.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
I liked "A Perfect World" where he played an escaped con who kidnaps a little boy and for a good, mindless shoot-em-up, there was '3000 Miles to Graceland" with Kurt Russell.
Kevin Costner has done some good movies. There's no denying that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:48 am
"A Perfect World" was a small actor's movie and Costner was well cast turning in a good performance playing against character. Maybe he should have gotten the hint that he should have avoided "Message in a Bottle" and "Dragonfly," two Hollywood potboilers. He was also very good as Eliot Ness in "The Untouchables," holding his own with Sean Connery, no less. Of course, there he played a cop crusader who was really a wet baseball player.
0 Replies

johnsontarheel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:14 am
To those of you who would diminish Costner's work, I suggest you get the DVD version of Open Range and get an idea of the dedication this man has for his work. It is because of people like him that make film so worthwhile. I noticed Costner hasn't posted anything here....maybe it is because he is out making movies while others complain.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:18 am
Huh? Whose diminishing Costner's work any more than it deserves. "Open Range" is a fine film, "Waterworld" and "The Postman" are mediocre. This forum isn't just for lauding the good movies, it's also for expressing a dislike for bad movies. Of course, nobody but a Kurosawa or a Kubrick could consistantly make fine films (even though they've both made less-than-great flicks, like Kurosawa's yawner "Red Beard.?) You wouldn't by any chance be on Costner's payroll?

It is true that "The Postman" is not the worst film ever made -- a bit of an over-reaction to a Costner bland and listless epic that bombed big time at the box office. It's his "Heaven's Gate," but that's not even the worst film ever made.
0 Replies