Worst film ever "The Postman"

Don1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:07 am
Worst film ever "The Postman" I thought that nothing could be lower than this piece of complete and utter rubbish,

and then last night out of complete desperation I watched "Waterworld" and then I knew that I had witnessed the lowest that cinema could ever get.

It's quite a feeling to know that you were actually there when something got so low that it was a world record and that nothing ever again could ever get that low again.

I can tell my grandchildren about it Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,617 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
Of course you're right -- I enjoyed "Dancing With Wolves" but it's not a film that I would return to again. It was beginning to look like Kevin was a one-trick-pony. Even his starring roles of late have been in bland, unappealing movies (aside from "Thirteen Days"). "Open Range" was back to up to bat but fell far short from the success of DWW.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:30 am
"The Postman" was in my view good, but not really special.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
It went through the motions and had a valuable core theme but it had no spirit. Costner has self-inflated the scope of his own talent -- "Open Range" proved he could make movies with an impact, certainly on similar themes a far greater film than "Heaven's Gate," also a product of a self-inflated scope of talent.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
The worst Film ever made "Ishtar" with Warren Beatty
and Dustin Hoffman http://www.borge.diesal.de/schiel.gif

The Postman? You mean with subtitles in italian - Il Postino?
That was a great movie!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
No, Kevin Costner's "The Postman" about and yet another future world after a devastating war. "On the Beach" is a vastly superior film on a similar theme. Costner's film is snore enducingly boring and only suceeds in muddling perfectly good source material.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
Il Postino? My recall is one of it being a little masterpice.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:38 pm
The Postman was in a league with my all time benchmark for bad--Johnny Mnemonic. And both for similar reasons: they took a fascinating premise or story and beat the hell out of it.

Kevin generally suffers from uber-smarminess, but some of his films have nuggets of beauty in cinematography or performances or something. This one, sadly can't crawl out of the muck, just like "Johnny" couldn't crawl out of the annoying and bloody.

Perhaps another would be Aliens 3...the sidetrip from hell. Excuse me, a film where you're hoping the alien kills everyone so you can stop the pain? Enormous disappointment: investing so much energy in meeting the people in Aliens 2 and then just zap, oh well, they're dead. Even the interest of a dog version of the alien couldn't save this disaster.

So for me, their disappointment value way outrates their simple "badness."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
Obviously none of you has seen Charlies Angels-Full Throttle....
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 02:46 pm
or Pie
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:33 pm
1994 "The Postman" (Il Postino) A gem of a movie.
As I recall, a postman longs to become a poet.

1997 "The Postman" Sci-Fi film set in 2013 directed by Kevin Costner.

Titles are not subject to copywrite laws. You can title a work of art anything you want.
So, go forth and write Hamlet, Jurasic Park or whatever.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:38 am
Is "Pie" about grandma's fabulous apple pie or was the movie "PI?"

You're right, Billy, copywrite laws do not cover titles which is why Ray Bradbury had no legal hold on the term "Farenheit." If it's marketed in such a way to deceive, like a game, it can be litigated under a registered trademark. "Jurassic Park" is a registered trademark so I wouldn't suggest anyone go about writing anything under that title.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
yea PI would be the one... where its in black and white and PI has something to do with the bible... i watched a part of it and gagged and walked out...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:48 pm
I didn't think "Waterworld" was so bad. It was ripped to shreds before it even reached the movie theatre but, it wasn't the worse movie ever made or even close to that, IMO. How about "Down With Love"? Now THAT was a baaaad movie.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
I agree with you, Don. Costner has made some really bad movies. The only redeeming feature of Waterworld, was Dennis Hopper; I did like the one with Anthony Quinn, however. Can't remember the title right off.

Ah, Mr. wizard. One the Beach. Read the book and loved the movie.

Watched another Pet Cemetery movie last night. Really...really bad.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:30 pm
OH, now see, eoe,
I quite liked Down with Love. As a satire of those old Doris Day/Rock Hudson films, played in a totally presentational non-realistic style, I had a ball.

Bad, like Show Girls bad? Bad like...?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
"Waterworld" was spectacular in the theater -- saw it at the Big Newport screen which is the largest on the West Coast. Dennis Hopper was a delicious villain, Kevin was trying hard to play the anti-hero but was upstaged by the other actors. It was just not a memorable experience -- my favorite water movie is still "The Abyss." "The Postman" was simply not a cohesive story with an atmosphere and point of view, not reaching the poignancy of Nevil Shute and Frankenheimer's direction of "On the Beach." Those final scenes are still some of the most forebodingly haunting in all of film. The black-and-white gave it a starkness it needed -- it was epic without trying hard to be epic.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:49 am
Letty wrote:
I agree with you, Don. Costner has made some really bad movies. The only redeeming feature of Waterworld, was Dennis Hopper; I did like the one with Anthony Quinn, however. Can't remember the title right off.

I think the one you mention Letty with Anthony Quinn was called Revenge, it's the one where Costners character is bonking Quinn's wife hence the revenge.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:54 am
Obviously none of you have seen "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...a true waste of talent...or Van Helsing...not even hugh jackman could save that trash...lol...but i agree with Waterworld...such a droll picture..."Ishtar" was pretty bad too...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
A droll picture? Very Happy

Yes, Kevin as an aquaman could be called droll as he's not a troll, but those gills weren't causing anyone to drool.
0 Replies