'SUPERMAN' Chris Reeves Passes Away

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:10 am
'Superman' star Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Paralyzed actor was advocate for spinal cord research
Monday, October 11, 2004 Posted: 0607 GMT (1407 HKT)

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

Breaking News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,157 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:41 am
This is very sad indeed. He was a wonderful person with more courage I've ever seen in a person and he will be missed. May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

rainforest

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:53 am
Gezzy> yes indeed. He was a real life 'Superman' IMHO. His desire and determination to live against ALL odds, made him a hero world over. Great man in world full of cowards!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:06 am
I couldn't agree more.

I'm curious. You refered to me as Gezzy, so you obviously know who I am, but I can't help but wonder who you are. I assume you went by a different user name in the past. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
0 Replies

rainforest

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:16 am
Gezzy> I saw your name in your profile. I liked it. Better than Montana that sounds a bit more 'male'. My opinion only. I will not refer you as Gezzy if you don't like. Sorry :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:40 am
Oh, don't be sorry. Gezzy works just as well. I just thought I might have known you from elsewhere and if I did, I just wanted to know where.

If you like Gezzy better, then by all means, call me Gezzy ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:46 am
I almost forgot. Welcome to A2K rainforest :-D
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:56 am
The Good die young. So sad. Terrible news to hear first thing on a Monday morning. Crying or Very sad

Christopher Reeve truly was a Super Man.

R.I.P. Christopher
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:43 am
Is there a curse on actors who play Superman? I seem to recall that Steve Reeve, who was Superman in the TV series back in the 1960s, committed suicide. Christopher's struggle with his tragic condition was truly inspirational, though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 06:01 am
Oh, this is so tragic. Besides being one hell of an inspiration for all of us, Chris Reeve was a strong advocate for stem cell research. He really believed that he would live to see a fix for his condition.

I think that we all need to carry on Chris' banner, and advocate hard for stem cell research!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
Yes, welcome to A2K, rainforest -- like your handle as we have a local restaurant named Rainforest Cafe.

One of my oldest friends was a big donator to Reeve's foundation and is an advocate of stem cell research despite the fact that he's a Republican.

Reeve's will be remembered as the icon Superman but should also be remembered for what he did for others inflicted with this injury.
0 Replies