The handicapped bathroom stall

boomom2

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
I'm still fuming from a little encounter I had yesterday in the bathroom at my office...

I am a supporter of A w/D rights and would never presume to use the handicapped bathroom when there is a visibly-disabled person present. I would like to say that I *never* use these bathrooms, but I certainly have when there are no other bathroom stalls available and/or when I have both my children with me and can't fit them both in a regular stall.

However, at work, I do not use the handicapped stall. Except...yesterday, when a female emergency caused me to sprint from my usual stall to the (ahem) female dispenser, and from there to the nearest available (handicapped) stall to take care of some very quick, but very necessary business.

I was literally in the stall long enough to do this business and rezip my apparel (probably 12 seconds tops). When I emerged from the stall, our resident grouch, who also happens to have a form of arthritis that apparently requires the use of the handicapped stall, reamed me out. I suppose my shock at the time kept me quiet...but I'm still smarting from her comments. I mentioned twice that I had a biologically-engendered emergency, but this apparently did not matter.

So, the debate... Is there ever a justification for using the handicapped stall (or, by extension, a handicapped parking space) if you're not handicapped?

I noticed that she had a handicapped sign added to the door today. Devil that I am, I drew a smiley face on it. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,032 • Replies: 56
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
I've always wondered why there are always 50 empty handicapped parking spaces at the base of ski areas.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:36 pm
Boomom - I am not visibly handicapped, but often do use the handicapped stall unless there is a person in a wheelchair or elderly person with a cane. My knees hurt so badly sometimes I just know I won't be able to stand if I use a regular stall.

Would she have yelled at me since I don't have a visible handicap?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:37 pm
THAT's not how handicapped stalls work. I mean, I should prolly go back and check to make absolutely sure, but I've done extensive work with the ADA and designed my own office including making sure the bathrooms met the requirements.

There has to BE a handicapped stall, but it's not at all the same concept as parking spots. The idea is to remove barriers, not to impart privileges. An able-bodied person (or as disability activists I used to work would call them, "temporarily able-bodied") still has to wait to use the stall occasionally. The thing is just whether they can use the stall at all.

Out of line, and if you want, I can try to look up the relevant ADA phrasing. (No time at the moment.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
Awhile back some large U.S. city (I'm thinking it was Manhattan but can't remember for certain) installed bathroom stalls at intervals on the public downtown sidewalks. These were wonderful--the entire room flushed when the occupant departed so they were always sparkling clean. They were wonderful for both the tourists and the homeless who were not allowed to use restaurant restrooms, etc. unless they were customers.

Well the handicapped folks pitched a hissy fit because ALL these public restrooms were not handicapped accessible but only the every third one or so was handicapped accessible meaning a handicapped person might have to go a block or so to get to an accessible one. As there was no funding to make them all handicapped accessible, they took them all out.

Seems to me common sense should prevail in all things.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:29 pm
I've spent nearly 6 years--on and off--on crutches.

Sozobe is right that handicapped stalls and handicapped parking spaces are two different animals.

The larger booth, the hand rails are convenient or handicapped use, but they are not exclusively for handicapped use.

Look at the public areas of hospitals where all bathrooms are equipped for the handicapped--and open to the use of all, handicapped or no.

Your co-worker was out of line. Now the question is will you add to the greater good of the universe by convincing her of her error?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
I've designed bathrooms for recreation areas in multiple family housing, and, as I remember, the whole space had to be accessible, re no high steps, square footage re wheelchair, and one stall fully appointed for accessibility, re size and fittings. Anyone could use either stall. Courtesy would have people demur to let a visibly disabled person get first chance at the specialized stall.

That was a while ago, though; perhaps things have changed and I don't know about it.

edited to improve grammar
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:21 pm
I've always wondered why by law, braille elevator buttons are required in parking garages here.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:05 pm
I us the H/C stool - usually is taller(higher) and for a guy who is real tall and bad knees - it's not so far to reach the throne for a sit.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:25 pm
If it is not otherwise needed, I use the H/C stall because as often as not I am carrying a valise, camera, laptop, and roll-a-tape when working and it is easier to unload all that stuff in the larger area.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:59 pm
Hmmm, this all reminds me, I have been personally aggravated lately because many restrooms now use (to me) very low level lighting. I can't quite see it to check it out, what energy saving feature it has - probably low level fluorescent bulb.

I am night blind, as some here know, but so are many other people as they age, though not usually as spectacularly night blind as Moi. It was seeing Diane post here that reminded me. When we a2kers were in San Francisco, we had a great and funny brunch at Sinbad's, right by the Bay Bridge. It must have a poor foodie reputation, as there weren't a lot of other folks there on a sunny April morning, but it was perfect for a get together like ours. The waitress was great, the view was great, we were great, and the food was fine. But, before we set out to do other sightseeing, some of us went the bathrooms. I couldn't, because I couldn't see in there, it was so dark. (I used one of the now fancy pier facilities - which involved a long wait.)

When we met up again, Diane told me some other woman walked into a door in that restroom.

This also happened to me in a cute little cafe in Napa. Fumble, fumble, lurch.

I am not officially disabled, but have, as you read, issues, as do many other folks, like Husker. I think the set up in the handicap stalls can help a lot of people.

I also remember going to a strange medical meeting, strange in that I didn't work in the lab anymore. I was by then a licenced landscape architect, but I was keeping up my California state medical techology license via some continuing education requirements. So there I was in, gee, I can't remember the city, but it was in southern California, at this auditorium building. Class, yawn, let out, and at least a hundred women headed for the ladies' room. No One Used The Handicap Stall... at least when I was able to see where folks went. I didn't either since another one came free as I was thinking about it.. I did consider making some announcement that it was possible to use it, but thought better of it, as I already felt sort of out of place.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:05 am
Having worked with handicaps (the last couple of yours head of some 'homing groups') and having a couple handicapped in the family, I agree with soz.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:03 am
Can we just keep this between us? (The whole anyone can use them thing I mean.) The handicap stall is always the cleanest, and it would be nice to keep it that way. Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:23 am
I usually use the handicapped stall if a handicapped person is not waiting for a commode. I cannot see the logic of people waiting on line for a stall, while a handicapped one remains empty.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:07 am
Seems to me that if another stall is available, one should not use the H/C stall as a common curtesy. However, if there is nothing else available its fair game unless there is a H/C person actually present. To be subjected to abuse for using a facility the was meant as an accommodation (as opposed to an exclusive use privilege) is not sufferable.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
squinney wrote:
Can we just keep this between us? (The whole anyone can use them thing I mean.) The handicap stall is always the cleanest, and it would be nice to keep it that way. Smile

I hear ya sister!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:30 am
I think they're fair game. I use them all the time when out with my two children under age 5. The older one can go by himself but the younger has to stay with me. We just won't both fit in a regular stall. I think most people with disabilities are happy if there is access to the necessities, but there's always one or two who feel massive entitlement.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:37 am
I say smack her...she ought to be easy to take with that arthritis........

I remember once that I pulled quickly into a handicapped spot to run into a radio shack because I had a gig underway and a cable went bad...now...I am a person who will drive way out of the way to avoid using a handicapped spot as a general rule....but this was an emergency.....I came running back out and some woman looked me up and down and in a voice dripping with sarcasm asked me what my handicapped was. Without missing a beat I answered "I'm a self centered prick thatthinks the world revolves around him". That seemed to end the conversation, and I was on my way with the cable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:38 am
Great, thanks bear... a coffee stain on my left leg to match the one on the right.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:43 am
Boomom, your grouchy coworker had no right to berate you. Unless you knocked her down to get there or something. Very Happy

Due to state regulations, a brand new handicapped-accessible restroom (not just a stall, a small room) was added to the floor where I work last month. There is no one among the 50 or 60 people on this floor who uses a wheelchair or crutches. Should this shiny facility sit empty waiting for a needy guest? I say no, which is why I use it all the time.
0 Replies