ISN'T it amazing?

Eccles

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:18 pm
Isn't it amazing how much crap a person can write when she has assignments due?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 616 • Replies: 3
No top replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:09 pm
I am the same way when I need to grade papers. I call it my 'manic' phase. Wink

TF
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:31 pm
I read something about that, or heard something about. I don't remember. The individual was both a mathemetician and a rabbi. He was talking about how he used to focus his mind completely on one thing. One example was memorizing pages of talmud, and as the pages went by it got easier and easier to memorize. He was in a contest with his friend, to see who could memorize the most. And he pushed himself and studied hard to get it done. The other was a difficult math problem. He couldn't get it done until he stopped what he was doing and took a bath. And then, suddenly, it all came to him at once and he wrote everything down.

Looking back at it years later, he couldn't even quite follow the math he wrote. Oh yeah, Aryeh Kaplan. And that was leading in to the actual discussion in a book about Jewish Meditation. I don't remember exactly, but something about two types of opening the mind. One is pushing it in one steady direction until it grows and the other is letting go and just letting thoughts wander until it just does it on its own. I guess it's not entirely relevant. I wish I had remembered B, C, D, E, and F before I posted A.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
Go take a bath and come back and post again.

Seriously, I'm getting this vision of students waiting around and doing all their work rushed and last minute. Then their teachers collect it all, wait around and correct it all, rushed and last minute.

Nice. Glad to see we're keeping to tradition & values.
0 Replies