What do you want to see happen in Star Wars Episode VIII?

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 12:31 pm
I'm looking forward to VIII, because of the possible ways Star Wars could continue to have its legacy affected; TFA affected the memory of the original trilogy, and so it stands the reason that VIII will do something equally great.
What do you hope to see?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,930 • Replies: 13
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:18 pm
@Thomas33,
I hope that they will not just retell the original story with different characters. How many Death Stars can there possibly be? And how many times does it have to be destroyed before the designers stop including a "Hit me here and the whole thing goes Boom!" spot?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:44 am
I want to see them lose so much money that they never make any more of them.

I love Sci Fi, but I've never seen the appeal of Star Wars, simplistic story lines and dumbed down Buddhism that some idiots now claim is an actual religion.

Having said that I'll probably watch episode VII when it comes on the telly.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:33 am
@TomTomBinks,
Do you think there will be a plot twist in VIII?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:20 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

I hope that they will not just retell the original story with different characters. How many Death Stars can there possibly be? And how many times does it have to be destroyed before the designers stop including a "Hit me here and the whole thing goes Boom!" spot?

They now need to move into an original story arc (and away from paying homage to the original movies) barring the inclusion of the few returning characters (who shouldn't be the focus of the main plot but supporting characters to the new generation of characters).
Thomas33

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:11 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm averse to the passing of the torch theme, though thought TFA did a reasonable job with the returning characters.
Harrison Ford was a welcome presence, but if I'm completely honest I think his performance was greatly informed by his overall stature as a movie star.

In hindsight, I think the new characters are very much the reason for the movie's greatness.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:13 am
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

In hindsight, I think the new characters are very much the reason for the movie's greatness.

They are the reason why I love the new movie so much.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't be so certain about it, but I really picked up something amounting to an erotic vibe from Daisy Ridley's performance (just certain ways she would speak at times, and the use of her facial features).
I hope that VIII does something wtf with these characters (like Rey kill Luke!).
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
They now need to move into an original story arc (and away from paying homage to the original movies) barring the inclusion of the few returning characters (who shouldn't be the focus of the main plot but supporting characters to the new generation of characters).

I agree. Retelling the rise of a powerful evil or the rebel's desperate fight against overwhelming odds would just be a cash-grab by the producers. I hope they have something interesting in mind. Unfortunately they're kind of already setting things up for a predictable story.
Luke, the last Jedi is living in seclusion because he's disgusted with the evil in the world. Rey, who is probably some long lost relative comes to him to ask him to save the galaxy. Luke comes out of seclusion and rebuilds the Jedi in a bid to restore justice..yada yada yada.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:45 am
@TomTomBinks,
Should Rey kill Luke?
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:23 am
@Thomas33,
If it fits the story, sure. As a random act? No.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 08:05 am
@TomTomBinks,
It wouldn't be a random act. But the new sequel trilogy does need to do something 100% wtf: TFA is a fun movie, but isn't actually that interesting (Kylo Ren being the exception).
The way I perceive it is that because Starkiller base was destroyed, and Kylo Ren had his ass handed to him (and the audience hasn't had the time to invest in the new characters), the future movies have the problem of stakes.

Snoke may be formidable, but we have no reason to expect that; the difference with Palpatine in ROTJ was that by that point Luke and Vader were familiar characters, whereas Kylo Ren and Rey aren't.

Bait and switch between Rey and Kylo is possible; another possibility is that Luke is Snoke, and therefore Kylo Ren gets the dynamic of being a betrayed character, whose killing of Han Solo in retrospect can be re-evaluated.

TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 10:21 pm
@Thomas33,
I've heard a speculation that JarJar Binks is pulling all the strings. Clues were included in the prequels. Not that I'm partial to this particular theory, just sayin..
What do you think would motivate Luke to become that which he fought against? Disillusionment, resentment or maybe he's achieved a higher level of consciousness over these many years that he sees there is no real difference between good and evil? And THAT is the real enemy, Knowledge. Kind of Biblical, huh?
Thomas33

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:52 am
@TomTomBinks,
The gap of 30 years makes it perfectly okay for Luke to be anyone. The end of TFA doesn't push Luke to the dark side, but the idea that makes me think he could be bad is because of the need for something that rivals the twist of TESB, plus it would give real point to the sequel trilogy.

There is precedent; John Connor became the Terminator, despite having been played by Christian Bale and being a central good guy in 3 previous movies. And the character Jim Phelps was flipped bad for the first M:I film.

The end of TFA does render the sequel trilogy pointless: why should we believe that Snoke is so deadly that the end of Starkiller base is meaningless?
TFA is like the original Star Wars (a self-contained story), except that there's some margin of sequel-bait.

In practice, what I think will happen is that something bad will happen on Ach-to, at the end of Episode VIII, assuming the movie ends on that planet.

0 Replies