The Ladies Ghostbusters?

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:29 am
Anyone seen this controversial (much maligned by people who trolled and hated on the film before it was even released) all-female reboot of The Ghostbusters franchise?

If it's heatwavey this Sunday, I might go to see this or the latest [url=]Star Trek: Beyond[/url] movie.

izzythepush

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 08:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I've not seen it, but the kids have. They really rated it.

Last night I saw this beamed directly to cinemas from the Almeida.

0 Replies

engineer

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 08:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Pretty solid on Rotten Tomatoes even given the hate campaign against it. It's on my to do list for this summer, but I need to get going. Star Trek is already out and Suicide Squad is coming soon. My queue is filling up.
tsarstepan

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 08:53 am
@engineer,
I already have my ticket for Suicide Squad. IMAX of course.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:06 am
@tsarstepan,
I liked the original, but I'm not very interested in the reboot. I'm getting pretty tired of reboots and remakes in general.
farmerman

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 09:53 am
@rosborne979,
We have been asked by friends to go see it and , like Ros, our answer is"no thank you, I have to set some ant traps in the patio"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 06:42 pm
I want to see it. The women in the film are very funny and it's not that big of a stretch to see them all suited up to fight ghosts. They ain't scared of no ghosts. Frankly, I didn't hold out much hope for the first two movies but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm willing to give the women a chance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:14 am
I liked the song for the first movie . . . after that, my interest waned.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 23 Jul, 2016 03:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, but I do think the controversy around it is absurd.

This is what we can expect from apolitical fan boys & girls typing furiously at their keyboards in their mother's basements.

What is equally absurd is self-defined feminists taking this movie on as a righteous cause.

Tempest in a teapot.

I don't plan on seeing it in a theater but I might pay per view to watch it.

What bothers me about this movie isn't that women are playing the characters it's that Hollywood thinks that doing so is a big deal.

The female cast are all very talented. Why couldn't they give them an original vehicle to display their talents?

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
I still haven't seen the movie in question but this Honest Trailers take on the film is wonderfully delicious!
engineer

Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Comes out this week on DVD, Redbox.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 07:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I saw it. It was terrible. But my 7-yr old likes it a lot.
glitterbag

Fri 21 Oct, 2016 02:30 pm
@rosborne979,
I saw it, the plot or story line was tepid. What a shame. There were a few bright moments, but not enough....the actresses deserved a much better vehicle.
MarshallN

Wed 26 Oct, 2016 11:19 am
@glitterbag,
Didn't like it!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Finally gotten around to watching it. Has its funny bits and sadly its unnecessarily Easter eggy bits that assume one must have in it to slavishly pander to the sentimentally addicted old fogey crowd.

Taken on its own? It's a watchable comedy with some extremely talented actors who weren't necessarily given a lot of original content or direction to work with. Maybe if they weren't handcuffed to the cameos and ghosts of the 1984 version, they might have made their own classic comedy to stand the test of time.

Confused to find out that it was mostly shot in Boston but still set in New York City. I guess that was slightly better than the original which was mostly shot in studios in Los Angeles.

I get it. It costs a hell of a lot of money shooting a movie in NYC. It ain't that much cheaper shooting a movie in Boston. Even with a massive CGI cityscape added to bulk up the backdrop, it really didn't look like NYC. Figured they would have shot it in Toronto. The Times Square in the movie looked like a Hollywood studio backlot. It was cute in its underwelmingness.

farmerman

Tue 31 Jan, 2017 05:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Well, I relented and streamed it on Netflix. We thought that it was pretty much "phoned-in" overusing the nostalgia for the first GB.

tsarstepan

Fri 17 Feb, 2023 03:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well, I relented and streamed it on Netflix. We thought that it was pretty much "phoned-in" overusing the nostalgia for the first GB.

Well? You weren't wrong.

0 Replies