Brains - are not computers that process information

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Sorry. I have a tendency to divert from the OP. My short term memory is virtually nonexistent, so you'll have to forgive my many senior moments.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Now a machine can pump out 100 million copies of a book in much less time than it would take a human scribe to copy an single page. You don't own a hand written book, the machine processed books are much better in every way to the human produced ones (cheaper, more readable, more consistent, fewer errors and easier to carry).
I'd be impressed if the computer could WRITE the book that humans would find satisfying. Or a piece of music. I've seen and heard the efforts so far and I don't think it's gonna happen.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 10:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My short term memory is virtually nonexistent, so you'll have to forgive my many senior moments
Mine too
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 05:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Why would I want to fly like a bird?

You may not want to fly like a bird, but I'd be happy to. Enjoy your trip to Atlanta.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:43 pm
I thought max flew like a bird every day. Smile
maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would rather fly like a helicopter every day.... but thanks Edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Next to flying like a helicopter, a ride in one is also a thrill. We did that on our recent trip to Hawaii, and flew over the volcanoes on the big island.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have to draw the line with helicopters. I worked a job that took us 50 miles into the Gulf by helicopter. After that one time, I sought new employment on dry land. Those things seem particularly unsafe to me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think as with planes, helicopters are also relatively safe compared to cars. I also enjoy parasailing, but we've not enjoyed that sport on our last visit to Hawaii.
When I was a kid, a classmate was killed on a motorcycle while on his way to school. That event impacted my feelings about motorcycles, and made sure my children never rode on them. They were free to do what they want after they grew up.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 08:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have a relative that was hit by a truck, while he and his girlfriend sat on a motorcycle, waiting for the light to change. He is alive over twenty years later, but he never fully recovered. As for helicopters, I was already nervous about them, out on that oil rig, when one of them struck a line and crashed, losing the entire crew and passengers.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:42 am
@edgarblythe,
The fact that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else will continue to make the pc more compact and still smarter until eventually from the outside it will be impossible to tell us apart, while the pc will report having feelings

...until we find ways to build wet ones, when it will be impossible
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 01:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
until we find ways to build wet ones

I know a way to make a wet computer, it needs a team of 2 people, it's quite pleasant (if a little tiring). It doesn't work every time, but if you keep plugging away you can generally make one. I have made 2 so far.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 01:49 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Why would we want to build a "wet" computer?

When nature creates a way to fly, it involves flapping wings with muscles. When we started building flying machines, we did use flapping wings. Our early flying machines used propellers and we advanced to jets and rotors and rockets.

There will never be a serious flying machine that uses flapping wings with muscles. We could simulate flapping wings on an aircraft... in fact there are children's toys that do just that. But it turns out that the man-made flying machines, with jets and rotors, are better in every way than flapping wings. When humans fly, we go faster, we fly higher, we are more agile, we carry heavier loads... we can even fly to other planets. Nature has never replicated what we can do with technology.

The reason we don't replicate nature is because our technology is better than nature.

This is the reason that we will never create a "wet" computer. We are in the infancy of creating thinking machines. But technological methods using semiconductors and soon quantum devices will create machines that "think" better than the human brain.

We want to create machines that "think" the way a human brain "thinks". That doesn't mean it has to operate like a human brain operates. The fact is that semiconductors and quantum devices are better than neurons, and synapses.

As soon as computers are better at thinking than the human brain, these "wet" things will no longer be useful. I don't think there will ever be a reason to create a "wet" computer (that is a functioning artificial brain that can actually think for itself), except maybe as a child's toy.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 02:15 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
team of 2 people
Tes again makes my day
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 09:24 am
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The reason we don't replicate nature is because our technology is better than nature.

Only in terms of 'utility'. When it comes to the human desire to enjoy flight for the sake of flight, the progress of flying machines has been in the opposite direction, more like a bird (hang gliders, soaring planes, etc.) and less like an airliner. The sights might be spectacular, but for enjoyment of flight, a rocket is the most miserable thing you could get in, but only slightly less comfortable than a 747.

Imagine strapping on some wings in a pressurized dome on the moon. We could literally fly like a bird. I think Heinlein had that in one of his books.
0 Replies

tauseef12454

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2018 05:52 am
@edgarblythe,
A Brain is better than a computer but you have to access it in the right way then it will give you many benefits.
0 Replies

sakshirathor12

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 05:23 am
@edgarblythe,
right but they can work far better then computers.
0 Replies

dp362pradhan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 12:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Brains founded the computers to process the information.