What Sorts Of Math Is Needed To Be A Hospice Nurse?

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 11:04 am
Hello! Smile

My name is Kennedy, I'm 18 years old, 11th year of high school and still trying to figure out what I want to do. Currently, I really like the idea of becoming a Hospice Nurse. Even though it may be a depressing environment considering people will be dying every day, I do want to help those kept in the Hospice have the best experience possible before their time has come to pass. I really like the hospitality category in terms of career/job and I think I'd like working in this career.

However, I have MAJOR anxieties about the math that may be involved. Science, I do like! I mean it's not my #1 favorite subject but I do like it. I also am pretty interested in psychology and anatomy if that's also required in terms of education. However, I've always had a bad relationship with math. I've always struggled with it younger as a kid. This probably sounds silly, but even today, when I get to a part in a certain math subject that I simply can't understand and I keep trying but still get nothing regardless, I tend to shut down and get quite negative emotionally.. I don't think it's only the math itself that causes me to get upset but also an underlying emotional/psychological problem that I may not have touched yet.. sometimes it may get to the point of me just wanting to die. (That's quite intense, I know. I feel weird talking about that. >.>)

With that, I find myself getting discouraged and kicking myself for not being able to be good at it like other people seem to be. I'm surprised that I passed my Algebra I EOC with a B. O-O I felt I did not so good on it. I absolutely dread doing algebra II and trigonometry if I do take it in the future. It's like this huge obstacle in my way that feels impossible to get over.

I'm so sorry if I was overly negative in this post! D: In the end though, I really love the idea of caring for people. Thank you if you took the time to read this. In the future, I hope to volunteer at a hospital (or hospice) so I can ultimately get the feel of the environment and if I find official hospice nurses, I can ask them all sorts of questions about their career. Smile

Ghost1998

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 08:21 am
@Rosebudx0,
I've done some research on becoming a nurse and most people say you won't need math or algebra.

In The Netherlands you have to choose between four different packages of classes (In high school), one of these packages doesn't include math, but you can still be accepted into a Nurse study. This means that math is probably not that important regardless of what country you live in.

You will however need mental arithmetic (I had to google that, I would have called it very basic math myself Wink ), like percentages, minus, plus, times, divided and fractures (maybe some very basis formulas). But these are usually not that hard to solve, especially when using a calculator.

Don't worry to much, almost anything can be learned, you just need to find someone that can explain it in a way that makes cense to you.

Feel free to ask me for help when it comes to math or algebra. I'm not extremely good at it, but I might be able to help.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2016 03:44 pm
@Rosebudx0,
To get there, you will need no more math than required to complete the course work for your RN in the US. I doubt you will find any nursing program in any two or four college that doesn't require at least intermediate algebra.
0 Replies