Lady In The Lake

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Lana was surely sexually prolific! Her romance with Stompanato of course ended in tragedy and would be a contender for the trial of the century except for number 1, the OJ trial.

I saw this movie, but I'll be damned if I can remember the first thing about it, except for a vague impression that I liked it. Re.: Lana Turner, I had been under the impression that the murder never made it to trial.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
Yes, indeed it was and Cheryl Crane, the daughter, was acquitted after the judge determined that Stompanato's past prompted a justifiable homicide. At the time, it was considered "the trial of the century." I still feel that the Lindburgh, the Scopes and the Leopold/Loeb outqualify OJ and the Stompanato murders.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:24 pm
Well, the three you mention are certainly among the most interesting trials in history.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 05:01 pm
i read a very funny book, although it was written in pure seriousness, by lana turner's hairdresser. he let the reader know that he and lana were more than "friends" by publishing the note she wrote him the morning after they "bonded." according to the author, who was at least 20 years younger, they only did it once, but that was the premise for the book-- his intimate relationship with her.

of course, the book was published after she died. and this guy saw an opportniity to make some money.

i think she left the bulk of her estate to her maid, none to the author. she and her daughter had been estranged for a long time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:11 pm
Lana was undoubtedly put off by her daughter's homosexuality -- as of she was the paragon of virtue. Hypocrisy in it's purest form is a disgusting wonder.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:02 am
if you think about it, the daughter made the ultimate and unwitting sacrifice to her mother by losing all her innocence as a child. long before the abusive boyfriend died, cheryl had to see him beating the crap out of his mother, and what is not talked about much, her mothers egomaniacal behavior.

in the end, the daughter saved her mother from jail, but it simply wasn't enough for lana turner. scourge of scourge, homosexuality-- rotten for a woman like turner who was obsessed with her public image....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:28 am
Maybe Dick Cheney beats his wife?

It is still debated whether the daughter was the perpetrator or was taking the heat. It may have been the same outcome from the court but it's true that Lana would have an even larger blot on her character (marrying seven times in that era was considered verboten).
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:13 pm
7 marriages, wow, i forgot that detail. even by todays standards that's excessive. one thing is for sure, she was not much of a mother.

lightwizard, is your line of thinking that cheney's daughter is gay, therefore he beats the precious and o-so conservative lynne? he doesn't seem like the wife-beatig type, too repressed, all his pent-up energy goes into building and protecting his portfolio.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
Laughing I was being extremely facetious.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
i knew it was tongue-in-cheek, but i wanted to make sure i got the reference... and of course, i had to put in my opinion of the president....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:18 am
I'm sure Dubya never recovered from that bean on the head with the frying pan that Laura so exellently executed. She's the "lady of the lick."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:22 am
(Licking alchoholism, that is).
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
good one lightwizard, mz. laura earned her title as "lady of the lick"-- when she accidently killed someone in a driving accident when she was young. as for her getting george to stop drinking, can't help but think he's probably more fun under the influence of liquor than he is under the influence of power.
0 Replies