The English language is horribly vague

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 09:15 pm
I think that the english language did and does add words to handle things that are vaugue.

Take the concept of infinity - that you mentioned in the first post.

Infinity - When Aristotle and Anaximander mentioned the infinite the really blurred the concepts of possible infinitude and actual infinitude.

Possible infinity (Symbol: sideways 8) is like starting counting and wondering if you ever will reach infinity. The setting on any camera of infinity is like this. Point a camera up and turn the lense to infinity and you may be focusing out to infinity.

Cantor realized this was not good enough and added actual infinitude (Symbol Aleph). This is represented by the set of all real numbers (or a collection of something that can be set in a 1 to 1 correspondence with the set of all the real numbers).

This addition remindes of the when Augustine applied his concept of God to temporal infinitude. He thought that God living for all of time did not make any sence - so he added the concept of an Eternal God. This is a God that exists outside of time.

I think Wittgenstien was right when he talked about the living and nearly impossible to define language. But I don't think it is vague or if it is - it does not need to be.

TF
0 Replies