Objectivism

Thalion

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
"I swear, by my life and love of it, that I will never live for the
sake of another man nor ask another man to live for mine."

Would objectivists have us let our children die rather than sacrafice our own lives to take care of them? What then of the human race?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 804 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lordregent52

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
No. Our children bring us joy, and according to objectivism taking care of them is entirely a selfish act. Those who do not take joy in having children need not have children, and they will not sacrifice themselves. Those who do can have children with no sacrifice involved. The human race would proceed normally.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:15 am
Here we go again.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
Loving your children is not living for them, since it's of your own free will. (Why must discussions of objectivism always start off with the flame wars?)
0 Replies

Lordregent52

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:14 pm
People don't understand Objectivism, and so they fear it. They see it as threatening because of its opposition to altruism, which they see as an opposition to kindness, which is an incorrect assumption.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:04 pm
Would it be accurate to say that the Libertarians are the "political arm" of objectivism
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:03 am
john/nyc wrote:
Would it be accurate to say that the Libertarians are the "political arm" of objectivism

No, it wouldn't. Libertarianism is a set of conclusions about how society ought to be structured. Objectivism is one set of ideas from which you can reach these conclusions. There are other sets of ideas from which you can reach them too, the most prominent being some versions of natural law jurisprudence and neoclassical economics.

Milton Friedman is a libertarian, but he is not an objectivist.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:31 am
Everyone is an objectivist, it's impossible not to be. We all just use different words and rationalizations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:03 pm
Quote:
Everyone is an objectivist, it's impossible not to be. We all just use different words and rationalizations.

Objectivism, in the context of this thread, is a philosophy based on the work of Ayn Rand:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer

Some objectivists might tend to be libertarian, but not all. One of the things that Objectivism teaches is the importance of utilizing one's own mind to draw conclusions, and not slavishly assuming the mantle of a group or ideology wholesale.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 04:54 pm
I know what it means. What I'm saying is that it doesn't change anything that you do, just why you say you do it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:59 am
it would be more prudent if society took care of its children, rather than leaving that task to the biological parents; there are fortunate families where the parents do turn out to be prudent care givers, but they are too frequently the exception.

objectively deciding on the best approach does not mean choosing a devastating path; it demands extensive rational thought, and a comprehensive system of proper decision making.
0 Replies