Nature and the divine.

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:18 am
Yes, thats what I mean.

Something I've noticed: If I perceive something as divine, I do not want to learn too much about it. If I do, it invariably loses its divinity.

For example, if I learn Mae West had some really bad habits, etc.

Is a bit of mystery, a bit of the unseen and unanalyzed, necessary for something to be divine?

On the same note(getting off on a tangent here): Is it a coincidence that every major religion had its central character visit far, far in the past? Would it lose some potential divinity, if the next Messiah turned up on CNN?
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 12:55 pm
I've misinterpreted "divine" to be related to a creator, since "divine" comes from the Latin word for "godlike". But it may also mean perfection or beauty.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 03:35 pm
L,
Perhaps you didn't misinterpret. I don't know that it was ever spelled out on this thread what we were actually discussing when we say "divine." Some definitions I found:

Divine:
1. Having the nature of or being a deity.
2. Of, relating to, emanating from, or being the expression of a deity: sought divine guidance through meditation.
3. Being in the service or worship of a deity; sacred.
4. Superhuman; godlike.
5. Supremely good or beautiful; magnificent: a divine performance of the concerto.
6. Extremely pleasant; delightful: had a divine time at the ball.
7. Heavenly; perfect.

Interesting if we insert "sublime" for "divine" in this thread.

Sublime:
Characterized by nobility; majestic.

1. Of high spiritual, moral, or intellectual worth.
2. Not to be excelled; supreme.
3. Inspiring awe; impressive.
4. Archaic. Raised aloft; set high.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:51 pm
I can imagine how this notion, which stood originally for the perfection of gods, can also apply to our ordinary selves in ordinary life. The ordinary is PERFECTLY what it is. We are the divinity we mistakenly worship as if it were separate from and above us.
0 Replies