What is the BEST book ever?

Abouhamdan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 11:28 am
I'm going to assume that by "The best book ever" you just want our opinions on a few books that we liked so...here's my list:
A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess (Haven't seen the movie, but I heard it was good.)

Nicholas Nickelby-Charles Dickens

The Great Gatsby-F. scott Fitzgerald

Doors of Perception-Aldous Huxley

The Catcher In The Rye-J.D. Salinger

The Kahlil Gibran Reader *Inspirational Writings*-Kahlil Gibran

1984-George Orwell

For Whom The Bell Tolls-Ernest Hemingway

Just books that I like a lot.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:40 pm
drom et reve wrote:
I don't believe that there will ever be a 'best' book, but my favourite book of all time has to be the epistolary novel, 'Les liaisons dangereuses' (Dangerous Liaisons) by Laclos. It was written just before the Revolution in France, and documents the evil schemes of its two anti-heroes. It is both twistedly funny (one has to love the anti-heroes' wit and effervescence, despite hating what they do) and tragic; a brave insight into humans, without ever lagging. I would never go without the book when moving.

Rofl, I thought you were going to say "Dangerous Lions."

...Yeah. My French isn't that great. I can count to 10, though...

Anyway, that sounds like a good book. One of my favorites is Uglies by...I have no idea.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:41 pm
Abouhamdan wrote:

Nicholas Nickelby-Charles Dickens

Ooh I love that book! That's another of my favorites.
0 Replies

Blacky87

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
My favourite books....
My favourite books are many but mainly:

ALL GARTH NIX BOOKS, young children to his adult books. Any book written by Garth Nix i love it no question.

Harry Potter Series. Like come on it is a good book! (Movies suck)

The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy

AND MY NEW ALL TIME FAVOURITE BOOK IS:

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

seriously read this book if you like vampire novels, romance and a thrilling story line.
aperson

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:14 pm
Ender's Game. The characters are more unique, complex and real than in any book I have ever incountered.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:20 pm
@Blacky87,
I didn't particularly like Twilight...more a girls book than for a man.

But Moonlight and Eclipse (which I am just finishing) are terrific.

Gonna read the fourth book next week.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:12 pm
@aperson,
by Orson Scott Card btw. And that was meant to be encountered sorry.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 07:56 pm
Last year, after a 30-year hiatus, David Rhodes published a novel "Driftless." It's an excellent book. In fact, if it were up to me, it would get the National Book Award.

Here's a link to where an excerpt can be read and a lengthy interview with the author be listened to.

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2008/11/novelist-david-rhodes/

0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
Book Mark
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:28 pm
@DrMom,
DrMom, not to natter at you, but there is a new system here, and no one needs to "bookmark" anymore. Either go to the right of the entry page (say, the New Posts page), and look down the line for Books, and you'll soon find the thread.

Or look at My Posts, on the dark blue line above most pages.

I haven't looked at all the tags for Books threads, but on other subjects, you can usually just put the particular thing you are interested in into the Tags blank space, or, above, in the a2k google white space, and get fast results.

You can also tag the thread as Books, and then, when you come back to the computer, look at My Tags.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:47 pm
@CarbonSystem,
The best book ever is the dangerously bleak 1984 by George Orwell.

My favorite authors happen to be Margaret Atwood, James Morrow, Joyce Carol Oates, George Orwell (of course), Chuck Palahniuk, and Robert Stone.
0 Replies

deb88

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 03:59 am
@CarbonSystem,
There are many books, but Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger is one of the best as per me.
0 Replies