American Literature Quote Style Analysis

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 07:26 pm
Hello, students. I need some help with the style analysis for my final. My instructions are to identify style elements we find in the quote and explain how the quote exemplifies the elements. The elements we can use are:
Allusion
Imagery
Figurative Language (metaphor, simile, hyperbole, personification)
Aphorism
Parallelism
Satire
Inversion
Meter
Sound Devices: alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia
Catalogue
Free Verse & Cadence
Slant Rhyme
Situation Irony
Paradox
Verbal Irony
Ethos, Pathos & Logos
I am not very good at English is not my first language.
I am posting the quotes I am having trouble with. Please help me. Thank you very much!

''...[H]aving no room in my pockets, walked off with a roll under each arm, and eating the other. Thus I went up I went up Market Street as far as Fourth Street, passing by the door of Mr. Read, and my future wife's father; when she, standing at the door, saw me, and thought a made, as I certainly did, a most awkward, ridiculous appearance.'' Benjamin Franklin's ''The Autobiography'' & Sayings of Poor Richard

''The devil is waiting for them, hell is gaping for them, the flames gather and flash about them...'' Jonathan Edwards ''Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God''

"It is while we are young that the habit of industry is formed. If not then, it never is afterwards. The fortune of our lives therefore depends on employing well the short period of our youth. If at any moment, my dear, you catch yourself in idleness, start from it as you would from the precipice of a gulf. You are not, however to consider yourself as unemployed while taking exercise'' Thomas Jeffereson, ''Letters to Mary Rowland''
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 1
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2015 04:19 am
@dustintime42,

That's not a very fair test for a foreigner.
I'd shrink from it myself.
0 Replies