Shooting in Colorado, the real terrorist threat.

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 05:01 am
Quote:
A shooting at a family planning clinic in Colorado Springs has left two civilians and a police officer dead, with the suspected gunman under arrest.

Nine other people were injured during the standoff at the Planned Parenthood clinic, which lasted five hours before the suspect surrendered.

A number of people were trapped inside the building as shots were exchanged.

The motive remains unclear. The Planned Parenthood group has drawn anti-abortion protests in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34950261<br />
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,093 • Replies: 13

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2015 04:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Information is still coming out of Colorado but this guy was a nut. They say he wasent even religious as I read it. I'll wait for more information.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 08:49 am
The real threat here is our inability to label the action terrorism and the perpetrators terrorists.
Baldimo

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 01:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You sure about that? The media seems to have no problem calling it out. They were pretty quick to the shooting in CO a domestic terror act before they even had all the details. The shooting in CA though, that was a different story. They were praying it was a white christian and even called it so while the events were still happening. Imagine their dismay when it turned out to be Muslims who were on a terror rampage.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 01:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Really, Baldimo? I've read that in Colorado the suspect was a “transgendered leftist activist". And "it was a multiple murder of by a deranged individual, no domestic terror."
Baldimo

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 01:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Did you watch the news on the day of the shooting? I was out of state and watching it on CNN, and they were calling it domestic terrorism while it was still taking place.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 12:22 am
@Baldimo,
Why wasn't it domestic terrorism? Just like the California case, where a US citizen and wife committed domestic terrorism.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 12:29 am
Quote:
The motive remains unclear.

Terrorism has a motive, so until that is known, seems it would be jumping the gun (oops) to label it as either terrorism or not terrorism.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 02:05 am
This is what the gun nuts do, instead of trying to deal with the issue they retreat into semantics and a load of pointless discussions about how to define, terrorism, automatic weapon, semi automatic weapon, military weapon, domestic terrorist and so on.

That must be why Congress never does anything if they're constantly having to redefine everything.
FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 02:16 am
@izzythepush,
a) I'm not a gun nut. I agree that this tragedy is in large part due to the unique availability of firearms in the US, which I also agree is a big problem.

b) How it gets dealt with by the government depends a great deal on how it's classified legally. For example, who has jurisdiction over the investigation, local or state police, FBI, CIA, Dept. of Homeland Security, etc, depends on that classification.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:01 am
@FBM,
How the FBI organises itself is one thing, but gun nuts like Baldimo try to stymie every debate on the issue by constantly redefining everything.
FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:05 am
@izzythepush,
Ah. I thought your previous post was responding to me. Nvm.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:16 am
@FBM,
Your posts are always pretty level headed, and I do appreciate the difference between a gun owner and a nutjob. I don't own a gun, I don't need to, but if I was living in America where idiots like Baldy, who really shouldn't be allowed a spoon unsupervised, can get a gun, I might be tempted to get one myself.
FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 04:43 am
@izzythepush,
I do understand that. When I was younger and still living in the States, the only things I thought of with regards to gun ownership were hunting and target practicing. Nowadays, there's self-defence against the random violent freakjob tacked on to that. I don't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable living without a gun here in S. Korea, but when I go back home one of the first things I do is collect a sidearm from a friend. Not because I want to, mind you, but simply because I think it's the wise thing to do under the circumstances.
0 Replies