Conventional vs. Newschool

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
Hey everyone, I'm sorry for deleting the original thread, Setanta basically told me that my question has no place in this forum so I took it out, not wanting more people to scold my curiosity. I am new to this forum so I am sorry to say I have no recollection of Fred. But i assure you I am no Fred. I am not some high school reject with too much time on his hands. I was curious to wheter New parenting techniques were superior to those of old, or vise versa. That was my question, I hope it is not deemed taboo for this forum and thank you for your care and consideration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,728 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
You're tap-dancin' in a mine field, Boss. I would venture to suggest that you cannot get much of discussion on this topic that will not be fraught with the political attitudes of the respondants. I don't mean to suggest that no fair-minded people will show up, simply that people have a great deal invested politically in such a question. Many right-wing people believe that "the American family is under attack." Many left-wing people believe that "children of poor families are marginalized and left behind."

Good luck with this, it just seems to me that you are unwittingly opening a can of very active worms. I would also add that the differences between child care now and 20 years ago is not great. Try 50 or more years if you want real distinctions.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
Effective for who? The parent or the child?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
I don't get it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
I don't get it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:31 pm
I don't get it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:33 pm
oops...sorry for the triplets.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:33 pm
Letty,

The poster obviously removed their stuff after Set and me made a comment. Hopefully someone will just delete the entire thread!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
It seems that our friend has edited his/her original post, in order to create complete confusion as regards what the hell it was about.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
Memories of Fred...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
Fred was a one-of-a-kind poster, warn't he . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:19 pm
I don't usually wander into philosophy debates. They too often go over my head. Thought for a second that this one might be just the one to dip my toe in... How deep can it get when it barely passes "a?"

But, no. This one has me stumped, too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:29 pm
Please let me add, I really don't think that this is Fred, it's just the deletion that brought back memories.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:41 pm
Darn,

I for one don't mind dancing in mine fields, and the if I remember the original topic was interesting, it a bit broad.

Carbon, can you put back your original post please? If you do, I promise to add a well thought out response. Who knows, it may lead to an interesting discsussion.

Don't let Setanta scare you away. He means well...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:19 pm
er, who is Fred? Wow. I better start taking Vitamin E again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:01 pm
Fred came around about half-a-year or so back, and hung around the Relationship threads, describing a relationsihp dilemna . . . but it eventually fell out that Fred was a high school student, was making most of it up, was probably distorting what truth he was dealing in, and then tried to pose as someone else. He was thoroughly outed. So he went around telling everyone "effyou" and deleting all his posts. He had as an avatar the picture of the little boy from the Jetsons cartoon show . . .

I don't see Carbon as a Fred type, i don't think it would be proper for me to post the nature of the topic--that would be up to Carbon.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:38 am
as you may have noticed i reposted the original question, i hope it fits setanta's crudentials
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:28 am
Just for the record, i was not saying this topic has no place here, just that you might get a highly, politically-charged response. It is not my place to tell anyone what they should or should not post.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:34 am
Hey Carbon, I'm thinking two things: First, perhaps define what you mean by 'new' parenting techniques and 'old' parenting techniques, and maybe have this moved to the Parenting and Childcare forums. You may get more relevent responses there. I assume you are looking for a discussion regarding strict discipline and a more nurturing 'time out' approach, but I'm not sure. I think you will find that if this can be moved to the proper forum, you will find a certain middle ground, as well as a difference of opinion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:36 am
Incidentally, nobody really thought you were Fred. He was just a guy who had a tendency to delete his posts, or change the titles of the threads so that the comments made no sense. He thought it was funny. The rest of us did not. Wink You seem pretty straight-up. You'll figure out this zoo soon enough, I'm sure.
0 Replies