If the universe reached maximum entropy what would happen to gravity?

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:35 am
I have had this question playing on my mind for a while and was hoping someone has a simple answer that explains what i am missing.

ok so i may be wrong but what i understand maximum entropy to be is when everything is broken down into atomic particles and there is no more usable (or randomly occurring instances) of matter to energy conversion.

if this is so would all matter in the universe no longer be matter but energy?

or would there be dust? (i cant think of a better description). because if there was any type of matter wouldn't there still be gravity...now this is where im baffled. where does gravity go if all matter is converted to energy? i know this is a very broad spectrum but any links to related items or any type of understandable explanation (i did secondary school science :S) would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:51 am
@ktrix666,
666, that's really a good q

My guess: At "max entropy," whatever that means, gravity takes hold starting the Big Crunch
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 02:38 am
@ktrix666,
ktrix666 wrote:
ok so i may be wrong but what i understand maximum entropy to be is when everything is broken down into atomic particles and there is no more usable (or randomly occurring instances) of matter to energy conversion.

if this is so would all matter in the universe no longer be matter but energy?

or would there be dust? (i cant think of a better description). because if there was any type of matter wouldn't there still be gravity...now this is where im baffled. where does gravity go if all matter is converted to energy? i know this is a very broad spectrum but any links to related items or any type of understandable explanation (i did secondary school science :S) would be appreciated.

If all atoms were broken down into subatomic particles, they would no longer be matter. I am not sure that such subatomic particles would be properly called energy however.

Also, remember that subatomic particles still have mass, and gravity would still act on them (although if everything in the universe were spaced evenly, gravity would pull equally in all directions).

If there were some sort of scenario where all mass were removed from the universe, gravity would not "go" anywhere. Gravity would still be there, ready to act on any mass that appeared, even if it never did appear.
ktrix666

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:08 am
@oralloy,
See this was my thinking but reading something else the other day (cant honestly remember what or where Razz) someone mentioned that there would still be movement on some scale, and what i wondered, was if there was movement quite possibly there would be some collisions between sub atomic particles, (i know this would probably be so uncommon that the chances of this happening would be negligible) but in this reference time has no baring, if it takes billions or even trillions of years to occur eventually it most likely will happen.

wouldn't the new concentration of gravity (surmising that the sub atomic particles had enough mass to attract and hold one another) cause a run away reaction, creating a new larger chunk that will attract more??

thus no more max entropy?

i suppose i could have just asked after reading the last statement i wrote, can a universe at maximum entropy randomly create new structures or concentrate any type of energy?

Sorry about being so long winded this was messing with my head whilst answering Razz
0 Replies