should scientists pursue only individual interests?

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
Scholars and researchers should not be concerned with whether their work makes a contribution to the larger society. It is more important that they pursue their individual interests, however unusual or idiosyncratic those interests may seem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
So?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
So?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
So?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

So?
0 Replies

NickFun

If that were the case we'd see a lot more scientists working on developing better-tasting beer. A good scientist works for the betterment of humanity. If not for the sacrifice of the noble scientist we would not have progressed this far as human beings.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:15 pm
Quote:
Scholars and researchers should not be concerned with whether their work makes a contribution to the larger society. It is more important that they pursue their individual interests, however unusual or idiosyncratic those interests may seem.

ridiculous, it's a free world and people can choose their job for whatever reason they want. many people enjoy helping others by finding cures to diseases etc.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:36 pm
Re: should scientists pursue only individual interests?
Neoquixote wrote:

Okay, but why stop with Scholars and researchers? Why can't you say this about everyone? Or do scholars and researchers have some special status the rest of us don't?
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 02:38 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
So?

? what would you say?
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 02:44 am
Re: should scientists pursue only individual interests?
extra medium wrote:
Neoquixote wrote:

Okay, but why stop with Scholars and researchers? Why can't you say this about everyone? Or do scholars and researchers have some special status the rest of us don't?

i think that means original creative works, which need relatively more inspiration by interests. maybe we can add artists into this category.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:18 pm
The topic of this thread, "should scientists pursue only individual interests?" makes no sense what-so-ever. Scientists have the 'freedom' to do whatever that interests them. Some arcane research may end up beneficial to humans. Some important research may end up without any scientific results - and perhaps help future scientists in their research. I'm not sure what Neo is trying to accomplish with his query.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:26 pm
C.I., I agree. Maybe Neo could expand on the point of this question.
By the way, Stuh, has anybody asked you about your signature quote, "If I could do it over again, I'd kill more people." Are you quoting Hitler or Stalin? Please don't tell me it's yours. Shocked
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:15 pm
seems like i've present a not very good question. Embarrassed well, the background of this question goes like this.
i really know some guys work in scientific professions possess an intense ambition to achieve some great goals so as to benefit the society, hence they could accept some kind of fame or reward. if a scientist is motivated by such a goal, he would care more about the result of his work rather than the real demand in according with object principle in relevant field.

if one really like the research work he has chose to devote to, he can enjoy the process of the investigation which could cacuriosityuriocity, rather than care much about what the research would bring out. along such way, he could be more promising to go further.
0 Replies