How do we develop ourselves intellectually?

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 11:13 am
Does anyone have any advise about developing oneself intellectually?

The reason I ask is that I feel intellectually ungrounded, in the sense that my intellectual points of view are vague and not particularly well articulated, and I believe it's got to the point where I'm not sure where to begin to start thinking properly. I feel as though I've approached various topics of interest in a lazy and inadequate manner, and as such have compromised the potential for intellectual development.

Sometimes I think that I should just 'start again' make a clean break with every book I've read and begin from some particular point. I feel as though I’ve cluttered myself up with misapprehensions and vague assumptions that prevent any kind of intellectual clarity. I’ve inadvertently overwhelmed myself with information and ideas in the absence of any kind of systematic approach, and with this I’ve bungled my attempt to deepen my understanding of the world and develop my views about it.

I feel like I know nothing in fact. Anything I might feel I have an opinion on feels intellectually inadequate.

So does anyone have any advice on intellectual development?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 9
No top replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 12:21 am
@ExistentialPotential,
I see you've been around a2k for over 6 months. What do you think?
I've learned a great deal simply by interacting with fellow members.
There is an old proverb "Steel sharpens steel"

And, I was damned smart to begin with Exclamation
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 12:24 am
@ExistentialPotential,
What topics interest you?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 12:25 am
If it's not too inappropriate to lighten the mood:

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 12:53 am
I tend to go for the threads about bacon.

Sometimes ham.
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 01:18 am
@ExistentialPotential,
ExistentialPotential wrote:

Does anyone have any advise about developing oneself intellectually?

The reason I ask is that I feel intellectually ungrounded, in the sense that my intellectual points of view are vague and not particularly well articulated, and I believe it's got to the point where I'm not sure where to begin to start thinking properly. I feel as though I've approached various topics of interest in a lazy and inadequate manner, and as such have compromised the potential for intellectual development.

Sometimes I think that I should just 'start again' make a clean break with every book I've read and begin from some particular point. I feel as though I’ve cluttered myself up with misapprehensions and vague assumptions that prevent any kind of intellectual clarity. I’ve inadvertently overwhelmed myself with information and ideas in the absence of any kind of systematic approach, and with this I’ve bungled my attempt to deepen my understanding of the world and develop my views about it.

I feel like I know nothing in fact. Anything I might feel I have an opinion on feels intellectually inadequate.

So does anyone have any advice on intellectual development?

This all happened because you thought that yourself needed knowledge from others to be relevant in any discussion .

You were wrong.

Let me put it this way , what were you thinking BEFORE you read anything by anybody ? Start from there .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 09:53 am
@ExistentialPotential,
Stop being potential
Become kinetic!
north

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:49 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Stop being potential
Become kinetic!