The death penalty debate

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:53 am
Can any of you provide me with the best death penalty debates on this forum? I want to read the previous debates here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,157 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Charli

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 08:05 pm
You can use the "Search" module here . . .
teach me to debate - Welcome to A2K!

Did you try the search module in the "toolbar" above? Type "death and penalty and debate" in the first line of the search on the right - no quotes. About 37 threads will come up. Not all of selections may be appropriate, but some of them look good. Enjoy! :-) :-) :-)
[/color]
0 Replies

teach me to debate

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:27 pm
Yes I tried but the search doesn't tell me which ones are good. I need the natives for that or I need to read them all. Shocked
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:10 am
teach me to debate wrote:
Yes I tried but the search doesn't tell me which ones are good. I need the natives for that or I need to read them all. Shocked

How would you define "good?" A variety of points of view? A couple of "strong" arguments? A new perspective on the issue?

I'm confident that OCCOM BILL, one of the more active members on this site, would recommend this discussion: it remains one of his all-time favorites.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:36 am
If you are preparing for a debate, you may WANT to read them all. Since there are varying degrees of the strengths in these arguements , you may find something you need in a post that you DONT think is a good one. And you also may find a piece of information that will come up at just the right time to help you counter-attack someone else in your debate.
Debating is hard work. The more 'ammo' you have to bring to the podium, the more successful you will be.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:04 pm
You might be interested in this program.
You might be interested in this program. From today's email:[/color]

Quote:
ABOLITION FLASHCARD
Amnesty International USA
Program to Abolish the Death Penalty (PADP)
July 2004

Watch a New Documentary on the Death Penalty

July 30, 8 PM (Eastern Standard Time)
NBC's Dateline

"Can capital punishment be justified in a criminal justice system so fraught with error that in Illinois, 13 of 25 inmates slated for execution were discovered to be innocent?"

This was exactly the question that former Illinois Governor George Ryan faced in the final days of his term as he decided whether to let 167 people live or die. And it is the question that America will face on July 30 when "Deadline," a riveting new documentary from Big Mouth Productions, has its national television premiere in a special two-hour edition of NBC's Dateline at 8 pm (Eastern Standard Time).

"Deadline" explores two of the most significant, yet unexamined, events in the history of American capital punishment:

-- the abolition of the death penalty in 1972
-- the momentous debate in Illinois in 2002-2003 over clemency for all of the state's death row inmates.

The film reveals the inner workings of these events and leads to profound questions on America's approach to crime and punishment.

It is unprecedented for a film like this to get such a large, diverse audience, which makes it extremely important for viewers to tune in and show the network just how hungry the American public is for media that forces us to think critically. Amnesty International USA's Program to Abolish the Death Penalty has been working with the outreach coordinator to make sure that "Deadline" reaches as many people as possible, as part of our mission to educate the American public about the fatal flaws in the death penalty system.

Invite your friends, family and community members to attend a Viewing Party for Deadline's NBC broadcast on July 30th at 8pm. Help spread the word and promote the discussion of America's criminal justice system and the death penalty!

If you would like to host a Deadline Viewing Party, please fill out the information below and send it to [email protected]. They will then send you a "How To Throw A Viewing Party Guide" and, on the day of the broadcast, a "Deadline Discussion Guide."

You can also find information on how to organize an event or lead a film discussion on the Amnesty International USA website at:

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/ctt.asp?u=660077&l=9352

To learn more about the film, log onto the website at:

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/ctt.asp?u=660077&l=9353
0 Replies