$40 million in one day...and M. Moore thinks he did good?

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
Spiderman does it again. Sets the highest earnings for a weekday opening ever.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,144 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
Michael Moore still has the highest grossing opening day for a documentary ever! When was the last time you shelled out ten bucks to see a documentary?
0 Replies

cleandrinkingwater

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
Documentary....are you sure?
LOL...can't believe you actually believe that. I have respect for documentaries as do most that create them. Why then does Dick Clarke the source of parts of the movie even say that parts of the movie are mistakes? If there is a logical answer to that then I might begin to think that it is a documentary.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
Hey Clean! I have the unmistakable impression that you are a Republican! If any part of the movie was actually faked or incorrect then Moore will be sued. I don't see any lawsuits or hear anyone begging for money for Moore to correct his "mistakes".
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:30 pm
The success of the first day take of any movie must be measured against the number of screens it opened on. Moore's documentary opened on about 860 screens. How many did Spiderman open on? I'll bet it was a good many more. Possibly several thousand. That effects the amount of money taken in. A more accurate comparison is the profitability of a movie per screen.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
A more accurate comparison is the profitability of a movie per screen.

Bull. The very fact that it's on fewer screens directly influences the profitability per screen.

It would be just as truthful to argue that the "more accurate" way of measuring profitability is in how many screens it can command.

Either way both would be misleading spin and the most accurate way to measure the profitability is simply revenue versus cost.

But who cares? The higest grossing film of all time was a piece of trash, no need to let profitability motivate veracity distortion...

That's ironic.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:48 pm
I finally got to see the movie (After three days of it consistently being sold out).

Its amazing. Even if you take out anything resembling "slant", the documentation will blow your mind.

"I'm a war prezidint" !
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:56 pm
I haven't seen either movie so I can not comment on their quality. But it would seem to me that more paying customers can pass through a wide door than a narrow one. Further, to shift the argument, I would think that if Spider man has a bang up opening day and then trails off rapidly while Moore has lower but continuously high numbers Moore would be accounted the more profitable. In regards to profit it is my understanding that Fahrenheit 9/11 has made back all it's costs and expenditures.

Actually this is where we need Lightwizard.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
SPIDER-MAN 2
Domestic total as of Jul. 4, 2004: (estimate) $150,585,000
Opened in 4,152 theaters. (Cost of film: 210 million plus 50 million for marketing.)

FAHRENHEIT 9/11
Domestic total as of Jul. 4, 2004: (estimate) $55,700,000 . It opened in 868 threaters but the venue list increased this weekend to 1,725. (Cost of film: 6 million plus 10 million for marketing.)

For updates go to: www.boxofficemojo.com

Clean:
You might be missing the point by commenting on the total box office take as a guide to how important a film is. Most of the "F911" supporters are excited about the number of people who have turned out to see this documentary.

In particular "Spider-Man 2" has a "PG-13" and children can see this film without a parent of guardian. "F911" is rated "R" which requires children under the age of 17 to be accompanied by an adult. The softer rating alone will make "Spider-Man 2" produce a larger box office plus the film is getting good reviews from most critics.

"F911" will not draw a younger audience due to the subject matter and many adults don't go see documentary films in general.

So taking all this into account, "F911" drawing the audiences is has, is a record breaking film event.
0 Replies