I really hate this

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:28 pm
Devastating News About Marlon Brando
Marlon Brando, who is regarded by some as the greatest film actor of the 20th century, has been reduced to a life of destitution and poverty, according to an upcoming biography by Patricia Ruiz. London's Sunday Times and The Guardian newspaper report that Brando is crippled by legal and family battles that have left him with some $20 million in debts and no way to pay them.

I don't often get concerned with celebs and their problems, but for some reason, this just shocks me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,213 • Replies: 36
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:35 pm
Well, I'm no Mike Tyson fan but here are the facts:

http://inhome.rediff.com/sports/2004/jun/30tyson.htm

I think that celeberties in general don't tend to find good financial advisors. Mind you, Brando does surprise me, but the evidence seems pretty clear regarding his kids, as well as his role as an absentee father.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:59 pm
Cav, I was about to find an article about our homeless friend Tyson..then I scroll down you and beat me to it.

It's a shock to me about Tyson, because he's such a smart, straight headed guy who really seems to have a grasp on things.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:03 pm
Well, boxing was and is called the cruel sport, right?

Do either of you remember Joe Louis? He is the only boxer to whom the federal gov't forgave his income tax debt.

sometime back, Brando sent an American Indian girl to refuse his acceptance of the Academy Award, but I can't remember which movie that was.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:07 pm
it was none other than The Godfather...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:10 pm
... and the American Indian woman was Sacheen Littlefeather See: http://www.newsoftheodd.com/article1027.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:16 pm
Well, I'll be damned, Jes and Region.

I loved Little Feather's observation that Brando helped her to become an infamous person. Fantastic!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:22 pm
Mike Tyson, I believe, suffers from mental illness. I know he was diagnosed as being bi-polar several years ago. He has probably not been taking his medication like he's supposed to.

Mike was a very talented fighter in his day. It just goes to show you that mental illness can affect anyone...rich, poor or somewhere in between and, if left untreated, can cause a person to make bad decisions, be irresponsible and, like Tyson, become penniless and homeless.

I remember Shasheen Littlefeather at the Oscar's when I was a kid...God how time flies! Last Tango In Paris was the first X-rated flick I ever saw. Brando, while 'older and pudgy' was sexy in his own way in that film.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
Quote:
Mike Tyson, I believe, suffers from mental illness.

why -- just bcos he's a boxer who rapes women, bit off another boxer's ear, squandered millions of $$, and then put a bullseye tattoo on his face?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
Nah, 'cause Robin Givens said so!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
It's funny, doglover. Mohammed Ali aka Cassius Clay suffers from Parkinson's Disease. I wonder if the blows to the head while in the ring are responsible for many of the real problems.

I was trying to remember Brando in "Reflections in a Golden Eye". It seems that some critic said that Linda Lovelace was much more honest in her movie, Deep Throat. I never saw that one nor had any desire to do so.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:50 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Cav, I was about to find an article about our homeless friend Tyson..then I scroll down you and beat me to it.

It's a shock to me about Tyson, because he's such a smart, straight headed guy who really seems to have a grasp on things.

Laughing Yep, I felt the same way. As I free-associated, I was reminded of Tyson's pet tiger, and Siegfried and Roy....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:51 pm
...in terms of what you can't handle seems to come and bite you in the ass, or some other valuable body part, or metaphorically, your wallet, or perhaps both.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:51 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
Mike Tyson, I believe, suffers from mental illness.

why -- just bcos he's a boxer who rapes women, bit off another boxer's ear, squandered millions of $$, and then put a bullseye tattoo on his face?

RP...Tyson has been diagnosed as having bi-polar disease, which is no less a disease than MS, cancer, Parkinsons...etc. Untreated, Tyson is a danger to both himself and those he comes into contact with.

I don't understand why some people think it's okay slam a person who is mentally ill while at the same time would never condemn a person who has a physical illness.

Those criminal and wacky things Tyson has done...continues to do are symptoms of his illness. Unfortunately, no one can force Mike to be responsible and take his meds (which is a fairly common occurance among people with psychiatric disorders)...that's the problem I have with him.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:53 pm
Brando and Tyson in the same thread? Well, why not. Perhaps they can help themselves out of their respective holes by collaborating on a project. Maybe a buddy film, or a heavyweight bout...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 02:57 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Brando and Tyson in the same thread? Well, why not. Perhaps they can help themselves out of their respective holes by collaborating on a project. Maybe a buddy film, or a heavyweight bout...

They are both huge guys, albeit in different ways. I say put it on pay-per-view and settle their financial problems there.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:13 pm
Sorry. I have no sympathy for a guy that blows over 200 million bucks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:22 pm
Although straight, for 200 million, I might just blow, but they would have to be awfully hot.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:41 pm
Hey Cav. As soon as you try to blow one he will kick you in the chops. Be careful trying to blow 200 million.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
D'artagnan wrote:

http://www.thecolumnists.com/miller/miller219art2.jpg
Charley Malloy: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.
Terry Malloy: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.
Charley Malloy: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.
Terry Malloy: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.
0 Replies