Is it illegal to photocopy money?

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:57 pm
In the US, is it illegal to photocopy US currency?

I'm not looking to pass it off as money. I just want to use copied money in photographs and note cards.

Thanks for your help.

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 59,381 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:11 pm
GT, It was illegal many years ago go photocopy US currency, but that law was done away with. You can photocopy US currency, but it's illegal to pass it off as legal tender.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 12:15 am
Not to mention incredibly dumb.
0 Replies

Bvamp

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:46 am
actually, you can reproduce us currency, but not in its original size. it has to be obviously of a different size, only part of a bill, or altered in some manner. You might run into problems from artists if you take a portrait off of a bill and put it on a product that is manufactured then sold, or even the us treasury dept. for copyright infringement. hope that helps
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:30 am
Just as a general info on US currency. Many years ago, the movie industry was prohibited from using real US currency in their movies, because it was against the law to copy them. That's the reason why when you watch old movies, it's obvious they were fake. They now use the real stuff. Wink
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:14 am
When I was young I photocopied some money and put it in one of those change dispensing machines. Much to my amazement it worked! I only did it once because I could have spent the rest of my life in prison as someones bitch if I continued.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
NickFun, I think I read someplace some years ago that the new currency machines do more than just scan on the currency's face, but does other analytical tests to make sure it's not a photocopy. I remember my friends using washers on coin machines to get candy. I don't think you can do that any more. Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
We used to make a trail of scotch tape on the end of a bill, and put in in a soda machine..the dollar would register, and you yank it back out. You got free soda, and the change.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
Slappy, I always knew you had imagination, but your post on yanking out the dollar is a new one for me! LOL
0 Replies

ahhons

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
My understanding is, and as someone who is contantly scanning currency from all over the world, that you have to make sure the little ID numbers are blanked out, plus make it a different size. We have the same issue with checks. When I was a bit younger I got my first pay check, and wanted to photocopy it, I had to do just the above. And since then I've never heard different.

I dont know if I have any there right now, but you can check my website Edit (Moderator): Link removed to see if I have a piccie or two.
0 Replies

ahhons

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:06 am
A little of the point I know
C.I. I just wanted to say that your signature about ask holes etc.., is right on the mark. It has suddenly made me realise something, and I thought you should know. Sorry to waste space on the forum. Sad
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:33 am
Besides photocopy, I think you can generate cash-look-alikes on the computer.
0 Replies

totallygodschild

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Where did you get your info on this matter? I want to be certain that it is legal to photo copy paper money perhaps to use in crafts. Is there a website I can get the absolute correct info from?
0 Replies