Do you like being an Anonymous Philosopher?

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
no - it was a bad virus - I am aching in every joint - and a few I don't believe ARE joints...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
I'm just wondering what you ate. The worst case of food poisoning I ever had was strangely from a top-rated French resto in Montreal. I was completely debilitated from it for 2 days.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:20 am
Sounds like a nasty flu to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
Fly, flu, fly!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:31 am
Awwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!! Poor Deb!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:52 pm
I think that more philosophers need to do thier work in the public.

Philosophy (at least at the 4 year university) has become a publish fest over topics that most lay people cannot access in journals that they likely will not access (the Australasion Journal of Who Cares.). The result is that philosophy has become almost totally esoteric with very little to no application to real life (as it is taught).

I think philosophers do this on purpose to keep thier ranks deviod of 'non-philosophers' (i.e. non-technical people) thus the 'ivory tower' is maintained.

The result of this (and a societal shunning of philosphical ideas - BTW If I hear 'you think too much' one more time someone needs to die.) is that philosophy is nearly a dead 'art' where our great thinkers are doing more to forward the software world than the philosophical world.

I feel we need a change where philosophers do more to apply thier thoughts to life (pragmatic metaphysics, epistemology, and ethics) where the average person can atleast see the effects of wanting to be philosophically rigerous.

I don't mean a dumbing down of philosophy but a more accesable philosophy where society can better see its effects. One of the ways this could be acheived is by getting out in the public and doing something other than shunning society and makeing more dust in your office on campus.

TF
0 Replies

nn

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
honestly no,
people are either to stupid to understand and end up hating you, or their jealous, truthfully, and this is a lesson i understand but don't always apply, a wise man never needs to justify themselves, a true wise man hardly even expresses his opinions unless asked, why is that, because unless people are readliy searching and are open minded they will not understand, philosophers are never understood the sheep think that their, well quacks, so no, i'm not that stupid
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:18 pm
For the most part I hesitate to make the identity behind my ideas public for fear that A2K might someday become as unruly as Abuzz. I do share my true identity with a few people whose sanity is obvious. There are many others here whom I would like to know as persons. BTW, the ideas I present in non-cyberspace are the same as those presented here. I AM stuffier here, especially in the philosophy forum.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:47 pm
Dear, dear, nn, once again I think I must disagree. People are not always too stupid to understand, occasionally you will come across some lunk-head who refuses to open his/her eyes. But for the most part, if treated respectfully like reasoning individuals, people are willing to learn something new.

Yes, there is a lot of hostility directed towards people of great ideas, one really has to understand this hostility to counteract it. People get scared. They are afraid that people of high intellect will lord it over them and make them feel inadequate. They are afraid of being made to feel small.

I'm afraid getting angry or impatient with people who have not had the benefit of your unique perspective will only gain you their resentment.

I always try my hardest to share my perspective without that infallibly infuriating 'I am right and so you must be wrong' outlook. People have often surprised me with their understanding and comprehension when treated with the dignity with which reason endows us. Remember, it's like sharing a skill or a technique, a person to person transfer of ideas.

Unfortunatley it is often the one who would teach who closes the mind of the student.

So yes, I'd say the same things here that I would elsewhere, because I already do!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:00 pm
Many years ago, when I was not yet thirty, I wrote a few letters to the newspaper about evolution. My aunt and uncle saw my name on the pieces and began to treat me very badly. In fact, to this day they insult me if I accidentally meet them. Then about thirteen years ago I wrote a letter to a small local paper denouncing their printing of a letter by a raving maniac. My lanlord treated me like the worst kind of a--hole after that. No, I live in Texas. I couldn't survive here if everyone knew what I think about things.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Many years ago, when I was not yet thirty, I wrote a few letters to the newspaper about evolution. My aunt and uncle saw my name on the pieces and began to treat me very badly. In fact, to this day they insult me if I accidentally meet them. Then about thirteen years ago I wrote a letter to a small local paper denouncing their printing of a letter by a raving maniac. My lanlord treated me like the worst kind of a--hole after that. No, I live in Texas. I couldn't survive here if everyone knew what I think about things.

Whew...how about if you moved to Austin?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:14 pm
Maybe Austin. It's a bit less harsh there.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Like I said, sometimes you meet some real lunk-heads. Sometimes they congregate in one place. Hope you find a more enlightened environment edgarblythe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:50 pm
I'm most likely a Houstonian til I meet that great pizza pie inna my eye.
0 Replies

rue

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

wow, I'm glad i don't live in your country
0 Replies