What size of generator do I need?

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:51 am
Hi all, I'm looking for a generator for a screener/separator unit I'm putting together, and I'm not sure of what wattage to get. The screener is run with a baldor/reliance motor (3ph, 5hp, 1800 rpm, 60hz, 230/460v). I would also like to power a holiday trailer with some 120v electronics and two large 240v a/c units. It has a 50 amp cord, and seems to draw most of that amperage. I would never need to power both at once. Can you get generators that easily switch between 1 and 3 phase? The salesman I have spoken with recommended a 20 kw unit (wacker g25), but I'm feeling pretty ignorant right now, and fear he may be upselling me. Thanks in advance.

bahtah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:53 pm
@bowriverjones,
Trying to visualize what you are doing, appears like maybe a portable mining operation. If so the generator mentioned I assume will have the trailer that is available for that unit. The Wacker has a three-position switch that allows you to select from three different voltage configurations (120/240 zig-zag, 120/208Y and 277/480Y). Don't think you can ask for a much eaiser way to change voltages. As far as the size, I think it was determined more on the RV at 50amps single-phase than the 3ph motor load. The unit comes with a 50Amp 120/240 1ph 3w receptacle so you should be all set for the RV. So IMO the gen is sized for the RV and the motor-load is more than covered.
bowriverjones

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:37 am
@bahtah,
Cool, that helps greatly. Thanks bahtah.
0 Replies

RayEGarcia

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 12:26 am
Quote:
Trying to visualize what you are doing, appears like maybe a portable mining operation. If so the generator mentioned I assume will have the trailer that is available for that unit. The Wacker has a three-position switch that allows you to select from three different voltage configurations (120/240 zig-zag, 120/208Y and 277/480Y). Don't think you can ask for a much eaiser way to change voltages. As far as the size, I think it was determined more on the RV at 50amps single-phase than the 3ph motor load. The unit comes with a 50Amp 120/240 1ph 3w receptacle so you should be all set for the RV. So IMO the gen is sized for the RV and the motor-load is more than covered.

Nice.......I think it is helpful for knowing the size of generator.
0 Replies

rossweinberg21

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 11:01 pm
@bahtah,
bahtah wrote:

Good answer...This would be helpful for those who want to know the size of a generator for sure.
0 Replies