Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

Harry Blake

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
asked- "So what do you say makes a 'real' Christian?"
----------------------------------------------------------------

Only God knows..Smile
For example I regard some "christians" as not real christians at all, and they think the same about me!
Paul had the right healthy attitude by admitting he doesn't know if he qualifies as a christian in God's eyes-
"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
One story in common.
Fear.
Delusion.
Hope.
Laziness.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:37 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
More common than you meant. It fits Sports fans, pedophiles, addicts, priests, atheists, etc. I was looking for something more defining.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
There may be Christian upper versions Joe's of the characteristics I mentioned but that just make us (humans) look even worse on the picture. Those trade with Metaphysics in a very creative way. I am more conservative.
0 Replies

Kelly Bloyd

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:33 pm
@argome321,
http://1drv.ms/1oaKbqQ Check out picture on the right side with clouds.
I believe that religion like all things can be misused by the person. Often times though people will use religion to dictate, target out, and oppress people, but often times it can be used for good, freeing a person, helping them out, and praying for them.
0 Replies

ECCE HOMO

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 09:05 pm
Hello out there. I am just new in this site but i suppose or presume to give an opinion in this intellectual circle of belief. i assume, that faith is not something concretely empirical in order to be understood. Did Abraham looked for God when God called him to sacrifice his own son Isaac? Did Jesus Christ call the Father in heaven to descend and cure or save him from the cross? well, no. they just ask a rhetorical question that is no need for an answer. God is not primarily subject to an endless question about who, where, and what he is but rather God is the complete wondrous entity that fill our incompleteness whether reason or faith. God is not subjected to debate i guess.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:43 pm
@argome321,
I read what you say. And the world would be much better off without you. Leaving to one side the reasons for your hate and attacks on believers, there is the problem that go after children too. You care about my kids more than I do.

You should die and we should celebrate your death.
MY HONEST OPINION

Notice that unlike you I did not even have to mention your hate bait (religion) to make the point that you are evil
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:49 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
You should die and we should celebrate your death.

Matthew 5:44
2Peter 3:9

In what way are you bringing praise to God with your lips?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 02:41 am
@Smileyrius,
He's one of those "Christians" who has no time for Jesus' hippy nonsense about peace and love.

He's been going round all over the shop throwing insults and platitudes all over the shop.

Definitely the gobshite of the month.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:17 am
@argome321,
Dumbest question I've seen on here.
Your harshest assertions are backed by "I think" --- nobody cares what you think.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:03 am
@AugustineBrother,
August, at times you show signs that you are intelligent and well educated, but sometimes it sounds like you are off your Meds.

Take some time to know the ropes here. Many of your tirades are directed at old OPs written by people who are no longer around. Most OPs are just provocative conversation starters anyway, don't take them personally.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:23 pm
Religion could be negative, but one must assess the "actual reasons" why it exists. What is the true cause of religion?
Religion can end, if it's negative, but then it's only fair to also end the causes of religion - namely nations, social structures, money, inability to co-exist, etc etc.

I personally think religion is okay, at least in general.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:01 pm
@argome321,
yes
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:39 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
asked- "So what do you say makes a 'real' Christian?"
----------------------------------------------------------------

Only God knows..Smile
For example I regard some "christians" as not real christians at all, and they think the same about me!
Paul had the right healthy attitude by admitting he doesn't know if he qualifies as a christian in God's eyes-
"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

I have no idea what if any status I will have when the day comes. I definitely won't take a seat at the head of the table. Hell, I'll be happy if I get in the room.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2016 11:42 am
@argome321,
Your position of hate and total judgmentalness really answers the question.

Who would say , as you do :

1) Every religion is either all good or all bad
2) Whereas you allow no one to correct you you think you can correct everybody
3) you must be taking the position that reason can not know God but you contradict that because you can't and don't give a reason
4) Wasn't the USA founded on escape from murderers in Europe who said the world would be better off if my views of religion prevailed

You are directly in the line of history's murderers who started with : MY view of religion is the only one I allow.

anthony1312002

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 06:59 am
@argome321,
Your question is quite relevant to what we see happening with regard to religion. To narrow it down though we might focus in on that segment of religion that claims to have a relationship with the Creator but by the conduct of its adherents and it's teachings proves false to that claim.

In the Bible Jesus made this clear at Matthew 7:13-23 where he spoke of those who make a claim of godly devotion because of doing various things they feel help them to gain God's approval only to find out to their horror in verse 23 that the Creator always saw them for what they really were, hypocrits and liers, ungodly in their manner and who have no connection with him at all.

Thus Jesus highlighted that false religion is the culprit and source of today's problems. It promotes extremism in both so called Christian and non-Christian religious systems. When a comparison of what theses systems teach is made against what the Bible really teaches, a stark contrast appears. For although the Bible makes very clear what God's standards are in the way or morality and other conduct, it in no way allows for the kind of hatred seen in homophobia, and religious sectarianism seen today.

So a more defined question would be, Would The World Be Better Off Without False Religion? The answer is an emphatic yes!
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 02:04 pm
@argome321,
You come across as childish and hateful.

Who cares what you think ! if you don't care what others think. You are better than them ? No, worse, much worse.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:37 pm
Except eye for an eye was a principle for compensation in the old law, the Christian principle is found in Jesus words in Matthew 5:38

Must one make so many enemies? What of Romans 12:18?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 10:05 pm
Are you Tim McVeigh?
CVeigh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
First of all, it is Veigh and you pick a name of somebody you know and expect me to be them?

"Hi, I live in New York City" YOU DO?? Do you know a Willy Sutton.
0 Replies