How are Raindrops Formed?

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 05:47 pm
Hello, I was wondering how raindrops are formed. My teacher said that it also had something to do with a certain temperature, or temperature in general. Could you please explain this to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 622 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 05:58 pm
@nerdyspy,
See the links I gave in your other topic. They will answer this question too.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:29 pm
@nerdyspy,
I found this response on Yahoo. I'm not sure if water vapor always must condense around a particle. However, clarify the word steam. Steam is water vapor, strictly speaking. The "steam" coming off a pot of boiling water is actually liquid water that has recondensed, so strictly speaking it's not steam.
Quote:

" The water in the atmosphere is in the form of an invisible gas called water vapour.Rain drops forms when warm ,humid air rises,expands and cools.This is explained below.
When the air becomes colder as mentioned above, it can not hold as much water vapour as warm air.So,condensation of water vapour starts.Water requires a non-gaseous surface to become liquid from a vapour stage.In the atmosphere,this surface presents itself as a tiny solid or liquid particles called cloud condensation nuclei.Dust particles,particles of salt,droplets of sulphuric acid,smoke etc are some of the condensation nuclei.So,water vapour condenses on these dust particles to become water droplets .Many such droplets come together to form rain drops."
0 Replies