Time to Vote for 2014's Best Soccer Goal

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 09:27 am
Every year, FIFA holds a contest for the best soccer goal of the year. Here is the link to the three finalists. For you soccer fans out there, time to vote.

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,713 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 11:00 am
@engineer,
I picked Rodriguez, not that I remember the goal exactly.
engineer

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm for Roche. Catching the pass on the right foot, positioning it with the left and then driving it into the corner of the goal just looks insane.
engineer

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 03:14 pm
@engineer,
Here is Roche's video
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 03:18 pm
@engineer,
nice!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 04:43 am
@engineer,
Still time to vote for you soccer fans out there.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:02 am
@engineer,
I agree. Roche's goal is spectacular.

No surprise that none of the English Premiership goals got in there. Fifa don't like England because we keep having our journalists exposing how corrupt they are.
They wouldn't have dared leave Roche out, because she's female. If that was a guy playing in a minor English league he wouldn't have got a look in.

As you can tell, I hate FIFA with the present crooks in charge.

Qatar winning the World Cup fair and square my arse.

Anyhoo, rant over.....here are some of the goals that our EPL produced...

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/may/vote-for-best-barclays-premier-league-goal-of-the-season-2013-14.html
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 06:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

They wouldn't have dared leave Roche out, because she's female. If that was a guy playing in a minor English league he wouldn't have got a look in.

I think they would have certainly dared, but Roche got a lot of Youtube exposure and it really is a spectacular bit of footwork. I think the problem with both the women and the minor league men is the lack of television coverage and exposure. You can see it in the Roche video. The level of detail is significantly lower than the premier video coverage. If this hadn't gone viral on Youtube, no one would have considered it. On the other side, look at the van Persie video. Yes, that is a great header but I don't know that it stands out as a tour de force demonstration of soccer skills - more like a really great athletic move on a great pass. The difference is that the van Persie goal was on international TV during the World Cup. Exposure makes all the difference.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 07:00 am
@Lordyaswas,
That first goal from your link was amazing. I don't know that I have ever seen teamwork like that in any sport.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 07:09 am
@engineer,
That is known by us gooners as pinball passing.

When the manager (Wenger) first started, British football had never seen anything like it before, and Arsenal wiped the floor with all opposition for two or three seasons.
Alas, everyone now does it to a greater or lesser extent, and Arsenal can now be beaten on (too) regular occasions).

The team to watch out for now over the next year or two is Southampton.
They seem to have the magic touch right now, and good luck to them. I much prefer it when a team comes through on sheer talent, rather than big spending power.
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 07:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
All those "best of" videos that were just really long strikes don't impress me that much. I used to coach children's basketball and every kid wanted to hit that 20ft jumper. If they did it the crowd would go wild, but most of the time they just gave the ball to the other team.
0 Replies