Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 08:00 pm
Good Conscience
Heb 13:18
18 Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably.
1 Tim 1:18-19
18 This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare,
19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck,
1 Tim 1:5-6
5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith,
6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk,
1 Pet 3:15-16
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
1 Pet 3:21-22
21 There is also an antitype which now saves us-- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.
I Jn 1:1-7
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life--
2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us--
3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.
4 And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
1 Cor 4:6-7
6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
7 For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?
Rev 22:18-21
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
20 He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly." Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!
21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
2 Cor 4:2-7
2 But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
5 For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus' sake.
6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.
(NKJ)
XXX One can have a good conscience about what they have done or been through bearing no guilt or regret. Remember this if the Holy Spirit was guiding you that you cant be condemned. By God. But the hypocrites and the young in faith who dont understand will still persecute you, revile you and all kinds of things against you falsely. God allows this to separate you from the lost.And draw you nearer to Him. A conscience is your belief system. Only if one goes against their own beliefs will they have a guilty conscience. If you have an evil conscience you will not be guilty in yourself. But if your conscience is written by the Word of God(verses) you will encounter a guilty conscience when you go against one of them verses.

Squeakybro

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 08:00 pm
The Conscience Is Your Judge
2 Cor 4:18
18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
Eph 6:12-17
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
2 Cor 10:4-5
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
John 14:26-27
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
27 "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Heb 11:3
3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
Acts 24:16
16 "This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men.
1 Cor 8:10-13
10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?
11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
1 Cor 8:7-9
7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.
8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
9 But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.
Rom 13:5
5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience' sake.
1 Cor 10:25-26
25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience' sake;
26 for "the earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness."
1 Cor 10:29-33
29 "Conscience," I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man's conscience?
30 But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?
31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
32 Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God,
33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
Matt 7:6
6 "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
2 Cor 6:14-18
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people."
17 Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."
18 "I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
1 Tim 1:5
5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith,
1 Tim 3:9
9 holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience.
Heb 9:9
9 It was symbolic for the present time in which both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make him who performed the service perfect in regard to the conscience--
Heb 9:14
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 13:18
18 Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably.
1 Pet 3:15-16
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
1 Pet 3:21
21 There is also an antitype which now saves us-- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
2 Cor 1:12
12 For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.
(NKJ)
xxx Your conscience is your book of beliefs in your mind. If you believe in evil you wont have a guilty conscience. But the way you find out if you have an evil conscience is by reading the bible and see if you disagree with any part of the bible. If you do disagree with any part of the bible you have an evil conscience. If you change your beliefs to fit the bible, you will have a guilty conscience every time you go against any part of the bible. The way you judge your own conscience is to read the bible and see if you have any beliefs that come to mind that the bible is wrong in certain parts or you cant take the verses at face value.Or if you receive thoughts like it doesnt mean that.
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 08:01 pm
What Does Believe Mean????
I said
Well you would have to look at what believe means. It means to submit to or rely on something said or thought. Some people have always submitted to their emotions. Some people have always submitted to what ever the government says. Some have always submitted to their preacher. But if someone is going to be a believer in Jesus they must submit to what Jesus says. And Jesus is the new testament. I believe in Jesus so I submit to everything in the new testament.

John 7:38
38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."
1 Cor 4:6
6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
Heb 4:12-13
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
John 15:13-14
13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
John 15:17-22
17 "These things I command you, that you love one another.
18 "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
19 "If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.
20 "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
21 "But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.
22 "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.
John 14:15-17
15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
16 "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--
17 "the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
John 14:21
21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."
John 15:10-14
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
11 "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
12 "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
John 10:37-38
37 "If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
38 "but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."
John 6:28-29
28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
John 9:4-5
4 "I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.
5 "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
John 10:32
32 Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?"
John 10:37-38
37 "If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me;
38 "but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him."
1 Pet 2:21
21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
John 13:16-17
16 "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
17 "If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
Matt 11:28-30
28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Luke 6:46-49
46 "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?
47 "Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like:
48 "He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
49 "But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great."
(NKJ)

xxxRemember your not Christ's until you have crucified all your emotions and feelings. Believe means to rely on a knowledge that leads you to your actions.

Gal 5:24-26
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:56 pm
Quote:
If you do disagree with any part of the bible you have an evil conscience

Even the old Testament?
Squeakybro

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 08:05 pm
@Smileyrius,
The old testament is obsolete.

Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
(NKJ)

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 02:25 am
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:

13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
(NKJ)

Now you're copying what's on the back of my bottle of oven cleaner.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 04:02 am
@Squeakybro,
Quote:
(NKJ)

This is a lovely scripture, but it has little to do with your statement. The covenant was Gods contract between him and his chosen nation including the mosaic law, but it had been fulfilled by protecting the seed promised through Abraham's lineage. The new covenant allowed people of all nations and tribes and tongues to become his spiritual Israel.

Quote:

The old testament and the old covenant are not synonymous terms, if you have more evidence to the contrary I am always happy to hear you out.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 04:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 05:29 am
@Smileyrius,
Your ignorance is much larger than I previously thought. You know if you didn't talk people could only assume you were ignorant. But when you open your mouth you remove all doubts.
The definition of the word covenant is testament. The definition of the word testament is covenant.
Heb 9:17
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
(KJV)

1242 diatheke (dee-ath-ay'-kay);

from 1303; properly, a disposition, i.e. (specially) a contract (especially a devisory will):

KJV-- covenant, testament.

djjd62

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 06:11 am
i think all science is a con
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 08:14 am
@Squeakybro,
You have a point with regard to the root word diakethe, I am glad you brought it to the fore

I'm not here to win an argument Squeaky, and I invited you to provide more evidence, well done, you have provided some. I accept my claim here was unsubstantiated that the two were not synonymous, I am always happy to hold my hands up when I am wrong, it is not the first time nor will it be the last

that said, it does not negate my challenge that the covenant that was recorded as being made obsolete was not the old testament. While these scriptures chronicled the old testament, it also chronicled much more.

I invite you to show me from scripture that the covenant here was NOT the covenant between God and his physical nation of Israel which was underpinned by the Mosaic law, show me that it was specifically negatingthe entirety of Gods word as known to the people of that day.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 08:24 am
@Squeakybro,
Here is a context question for you

Which scriptures were Paul speaking about in his letter to Timothy
2 Timothy 3:16
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 09:59 am
@Smileyrius,
In case it helps, I'll quote it

2 Timothy 3
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:22 am
@Smileyrius,
Well I apologize for my accusations. If you can humble yourself like that you must be a brother in Christ. Now all that I learned I learned from the revelations of Jesus Christ. Here is the revelation

ABOUT THE OLD TESTAMENT
FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT
2 Cor 3:14-15
14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.
15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.
Gal 2:21
21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."
Gal 4:4-5
4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
John 10:8-9
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
1 Cor 10:1-12
1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea,
2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,
3 all ate the same spiritual food,
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.
6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted.
7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play."
8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell;
9 nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents;
10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come.
12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
Rom 13:8
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
John 4:23-24
23 "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
John 17:17
17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
John 3:34
34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure.
John 3:33
33 "He who has received His testimony has certified that God is true.
John 3:35-36
35 "The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand.
36 "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."
Rom 8:1-2
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3-8
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
Gal 2:19-21
19 "For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.
20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."
Gal 3:24-25
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
Gal 5:1-5
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Gal 4:21
21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?
Rom 7:4-6
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another-- to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
Rom 13:10
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
1 Pet 2:19-21
19 For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully.
20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.
21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
II Jn 1:9-11
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
John 1:17
17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
(NKJ)
xxx Jesus wants everyone who is going to be a christian to understand that the new covenant(testament) is just that new. That you cant go back and keep any part of the old testament that Jesus hasnt brought over to the new testament. Jesus new what to bring over man doesnt. But the old testament has to be obsolete to you in order for you to get the fullness of the new testament. 11John 1-9 is very specific if you dont abide(live) in the new testament you dont have the real God. There IS a veil over the old testament that remains to THIS day.
If Jesus were in the old testament this verse could only be meant for God and the angels. But Jesus wasnt in the old testament.

John 10:8-9
8 "All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

xxx Jesus nailed the old testament to the cross. If you have nailed the old testament to your cross, you are in Christ.

Col 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
(NKJ)

Acts 15:10
10 "Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(NKJ)

Acts 15:24-29
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, 'You must be circumcised and keep the law'-- to whom we gave no such commandment--
25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth.
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.
(NKJ)

Rom 2:1-29

1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
2 But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.
3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?
4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
6 who "will render to each one according to his deeds":
7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness-- indignation and wrath,
9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek;
10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
11 For there is no partiality with God.
12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law
13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;
14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,
15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)
16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.
17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God,
18 and know His will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law,
19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness,
20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law.
21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?
22 You who say, "Do not commit adultery," do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
24 For "The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you," as it is written.
25 For circumcision is indeed profitable if you keep the law; but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision.
26 Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision?
27 And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law?
28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh;
29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.
(NKJ)

Heb 8:7
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
(NKJ)

Heb 10:1

1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.
(NKJ)

Col 2:11-14
11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
(NKJ)

Heb 10:9
9 then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:1-4

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:25 am
@Smileyrius,
Well you could go see if the word scriptures is in the old testament. It isn't. And the word scripture only shows up in one verse in the old testament and that verse is talking about the future. So this must be talking about the new testament.

2 Tim 3:16
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
(NKJ)

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:21 pm
@Squeakybro,
Quote:
Well you could go see if the word scriptures is in the old testament. It isn't. And the word scripture only shows up in one verse in the old testament and that verse is talking about the future. So this must be talking about the new testament.

The Hebrew word for scripture or "thing written" in Hebrew is "Kathab" and it appears a number of times in the old testament , but that isn't really useful. What is useful is context. Prior to the verse I quoted in 16 and 17, note how he addressed Timothy
2 Timothy 3:15 wrote:
and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

Which scriptures had Timothy been raised to know? Are these also the scriptures yet to be written? Remember also that Timothy was a young minister, who had been recommended to Paul, Paul was helping Timothy to become a better teacher, why would he allude to scriptures that had not been written yet?

Note also Paul's comments in his first letter to Timothy written just a year prior
1 Timothy 5:18 wrote:
For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer deserves his wages.”

Here Paul uses the word scripture while distinctly quoting old testament writings. This is written just a year prior to the second letter to Timothy.

What is more, I use a reference guide which shows the old testament scriptures quoted in the new testament and the locations, by my counting, and I'll declare it an approximation because I have made mistakes before Smile but there are give or take a few 695 references to old testament in the new testament.
I will share with you Matthew alone, There are a lot there, but you can check them all. Those with a star are not quotes but allusions to old testament writings, while those without stars are direct quotes

Matthew
Mat 1:23 Isa 7:14
Mat 2:6 Mic 5:2
Mat 2:15 Hsa 11:1
Mat 2:18 Jer 31:15
Mat 3:3 Isa 40:3
Mat 4:4 Deu 8:3
Mat 4:6 Psa 91:11, 12
Mat 4:7 Deu 6:16
Mat 4:10 Deu 6:13
Mat 4:10 Deu 10:20
Mat 4:15, 16 Isa 9:1, 2
Mat 4:15, 16 Isa 42:7
Mat 5:5 Psa 37:11 *
Mat 5:21 Exd 20:13 *
Mat 5:21 Deu 5:17
Mat 5:27 Exd 20:14 *
Mat 5:27 Deu 5:18
Mat 5:31 Deu 24:1 *
Mat 5:33 Exd 20:7 *
Mat 5:33 Lev 19:12 *
Mat 5:38 Exd 21:24 *
Mat 5:38 Lev 24:20 *
Mat 5:38 Deu 19:21
Mat 5:43 Lev 19:18 *
Mat 5:48 Gen 17:1
Mat 7:23 Psa 6:8
Mat 8:4 Lev 14:2, 3 *
Mat 8:17 Isa 53:4
Mat 9:13 Hsa 6:6
Mat 10:35, 36 Mic 7:6 *
Mat 11:5 Isa 35:5 *
Mat 11:5 Isa 29:18 *
Mat 11:10 Mal 3:1
Mat 11:14 Mal 4:5 *
Mat 12:3 1Sa 21:6 *
Mat 12:5 Num 28:9, 10 *
Mat 12:7 Hsa 6:6
Mat 12:18 Isa 42:1
Mat 12:18-21 Isa 42:1-4
Mat 12:40 Jon 1:17 &c *
Mat 12:42 1Ki 10:1 *
Mat 13:14 Isa 6:9, 10
Mat 13:35 Psa 78:2
Mat 15:4 Exd 20:12
Mat 15:4 Deu 5:16
Mat 15:4 Exd 21:17
Mat 15:4 Lev 20:9 *
Mat 15:4 Pro 20:20 *
Mat 15:8, 9 Isa 29:13
Mat 16:4 Jon 1:17 *
Mat 17:10 Mal 4:5 *
Mat 18:15 Lev 19:17 *
Mat 18:16 Lev 19:15 *
Mat 18:16 Deu 19:15 *
Mat 19:4 Gen 1:27 *
Mat 19:5 Gen 2:24
Mat 19:7 Deu 24:1 *
Mat 19:18 Exd 20:12 &c
Mat 19:19 Lev 19:18
Mat 19:26 Jer 32:17 *
Mat 21:5 Zec 9:9
Mat 21:9 Psa 118:26
Mat 21:13 Isa 56:7
Mat 21:13 Jer 7:11
Mat 21:16 Psa 8:2
Mat 21:33 Isa 5:1 *
Mat 21:42 Psa 118:22, 23
Mat 21:44 Isa 8:14 *
Mat 21:44 Zec 12:3 *
Mat 21:44 Dan 2:34, 35, 44 *
Mat 22:24 Deu 25:5
Mat 22:32 Exd 3:6
Mat 22:37 Deu 6:5
Mat 22:39 Lev 19:18
Mat 22:44 Psa 110:1
Mat 23:35 Gen 4:8 *
Mat 23:35 2Ch 24:21, 22 *
Mat 23:38 Psa 69:25 *
Mat 23:38 Jer 12:7 *
Mat 23:38 Jer 22:5 *
Mat 23:39 Psa 118:26 *
Mat 24:15 Dan 9:27 *
Mat 24:15 Dan 8:13 *
Mat 24:15 Dan 11:31 *
Mat 24:15 Dan 12:11 *
Mat 24:21 Jer 30:7
Mat 24:29 Isa 13:9, 10 *
Mat 24:29 Joe 2:10 *
Mat 24:29 Joe 3:15 *
Mat 24:29 Eze 32:7 *
Mat 24:35 Isa 51:16 *
Mat 24:37 Gen 7:4 *
Mat 25:41 Psa 6:8
Mat 26:24 Psa 22:1-31 *
Mat 26:31 Zec 13:7
Mat 26:60 Psa 35:11 *
Mat 26:67 Isa 50:6 *
Mat 27:9, 10 Zec 11:13
Mat 27:35 Psa 22:18
Mat 27:43 Psa 22:7, 8, 9 *
Mat 27:46 Psa 22:1
Mat 28:18 Dan 7:14

Can you see why I struggle to concur that the old testament is obsolete?
Squeakybro

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:41 pm
@Smileyrius,
Your missing the point. If it is written in the new testament no matter where it came from. It is part of the new testament.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 02:06 pm
@Squeakybro,
Still though squeaky, If any scripture alluded to in the new testament is considered new testament, and Paul here alludes to ALL scripture as being beneficial for teaching etc, then all scripture is relevent.
neologist

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 02:39 pm
@Squeakybro,
Hebrews, chapter 11 recounts many of the "OT" characters,
Additionally, in Acts, Chapter 7, Stephen gives a solid summary of Jewish history.

These give credence to Paul's word at 2 Timothy 3:16 "...all scripture is inspired . . ."

You need to broaden your understanding, bro.
Squeakybro

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 02:53 pm
@Smileyrius,
All scripture is but only the new testament is scripture.