Which group is more arrogant, atheists or non-theists?

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:27 am
I posted this on another forum as well.

I recently had a conversation with my girlfriend (Christian, I am agnostic) about which group is more arrogant in their foundation: theists or non-theists (agnostics/atheists).

My girlfriend called me arrogant a while back when I told her I fully expect us to understand the nature of the universe on our own accord and that I believe we evolved from seemingly nothing. She also thinks I'm arrogant in thinking that it is possible that we are the only intelligent species in the universe, which I'll give a sub-argument for real quick:

= In the 14 billion some-odd years that the universe has existed, you would think that an intelligent life form would have evolved that would be able to contact us (or have us contact them). The truth is, SETI is coming up dry and so far there is no sign of intelligent life outside of Earth. This alone is an obviously weak argument, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Look where we (an "intelligent" species) is headed. We are depleting the Earth at an alarming rate and I would not be surprised if human beings started to die off in less than 5 or so generations. We are also heading towards World War III, which will likely include some form of nuclear holocaust. It is very easy to imagine an intelligent life form such as us whiping themselves out of existence in these same ways.

= I also believe that the downfall of any ecosystem beings once a single species surpasses evolution/natural selection. They are no longer limited by the resources that are immediately in their area and natural selection no longer occurs. This causes evolution to stop, which is (in my opinion) an extremely important aspect of any species being non-parasitic to the environment they live in.

Back on topic. I believe that a theist thinking that there is an infinite being catering to their needs (listening to their prayers, answering some prayers, creating them, sustaining them, etc) is far more arrogant than the non-theistic view that we came about through evolution/natural selection. My logic in this is that an infinite being does not need to create anything because it is lonely/wants to love something. A being that lacks something is finite because an infinite being would not be lacking anything.

Obviously I have brought up a few issues. What are your thoughts (feel free to comment on anything I've said)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,422 • Replies: 59
No top replies

rufio

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:42 am
Theism aside, there are plenty of intelligent non-human creatures already on earth, and how do you know that anything outside of earth would even want to contact us? If I were an extra-terrestrial intelligent life-form I would avoid us at all costs.

And the human race is not about to wipe itself out. Seriously now. Even with lack of resources and WWIII (which is probably not happening anytime soon), there are WAY too many of us. It might make living a little tough, but annihilation would probably be impossible at this point.

And no species will ever be able to survive without a natural environment of some sort. Unless you're going to redefine what we mean by "life form".

And not all theists think that. Arrogance is a personal attribute.
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:56 am
Our definitions of intelligent are obviously different. It's obvious that we are the most intelligent specie on the planet. Obviously I don't know that anything outside of Earth would want to contact us, but I can assume that they would want to know if there was another intelligent life-form out there.

The human race wiping itself out is up for debate, but it is quite evident that we are depleting Earth's resources at a ridiculous rate. Once we are out of resources, we are finished. The problem is that there are WAY too many of us. Human overpopulation is a byproduct of surpassing natural selection and plays a large role in resource-depletion.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this:

Quote:
And no species will ever be able to survive without a natural environment of some sort. Unless you're going to redefine what we mean by "life form".

It's obvious that not all theists think that, just the same as the fact that not all non-theists think that way. I'm making generalization about the foundation of theism and non-theism.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:53 pm
I suppose there are two ways for religion or the opposition to it can reflect arrogance. One is the assumption that we know all that need be or can be known about the universe. The other--a far greater arrogance--is the belief that we may or should coerce others to believe as we do.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:23 pm
Overpopulation is a controlled loop - when there are too many, a bunch die, and then there aren't too many anymore. And there isn't really any evidence to say definitively that we are the most intelligent species on earth or that our definition of intelligence is really applicable.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with arrogance, provided it is well-founded, which most arrogance isn't. I always thought theism was rather depressing if it declared that we already knew everything we could know about the universe. There's no limit to what we can (and can't) know.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:37 pm
Re: Which group is more arrogant, atheists or non-theists?
hodgepodge wrote:

My girlfriend called me arrogant a while back when I told her I fully expect us to understand the nature of the universe on our own accord and that I believe we evolved from seemingly nothing. She also thinks I'm arrogant in thinking that it is possible that we are the only intelligent species in the universe, which I'll give a sub-argument for real quick:

Perhaps you left out the fact that your prefaced your comments with "I know you won't possibly understand this you idiot, but...," because there is nothing in what you have written above which suggests arrogance, but girlfriends usually have their boyfriends pretty well pegged.

hodgepodge wrote:
= In the 14 billion some-odd years that the universe has existed, you would think that an intelligent life form would have evolved that would be able to contact us (or have us contact them).

You would think so, but you probably have some difficulty appreciating the size of the universe. Even assuming an advanced civilization has developed technology to travel at close to the speed of light, the vastness of space can easily have defied 14 billion years of searching for us.

You are making a number of questionable assumptions here:

1) We have not been contacted.
2) That intelligent life must always be accompanied by technological advances.
3) That technologically advanced intelligent life forms feel compelled to explore
4) That technologically advanced intelligent life forms feel compelled to find every other species of intelligent life in the universe

hodgepodge wrote:
The truth is, SETI is coming up dry and so far there is no sign of intelligent life outside of Earth. This alone is an obviously weak argument, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Look where we (an "intelligent" species) is headed. We are depleting the Earth at an alarming rate and I would not be surprised if human beings started to die off in less than 5 or so generations. We are also heading towards World War III, which will likely include some form of nuclear holocaust. It is very easy to imagine an intelligent life form such as us whiping themselves out of existence in these same ways.

You may not be arrogant but you certainly are impatient. That SETI has yet to come up with any indication of extraterrestrial life, not only doesn't prove anything, it doesn't even realistically suggest anything.

Let's for the sake of discussion, assume that your dire predictions are correct and that humanity is on its way to self-destruction. How can the fate of a single species on a single planet in a single solar system in a single galaxy be predictive of all intelligent species throughout the universe?

Hodgepodge wrote:
= I also believe that the downfall of any ecosystem beings once a single species surpasses evolution/natural selection. They are no longer limited by the resources that are immediately in their area and natural selection no longer occurs. This causes evolution to stop, which is (in my opinion) an extremely important aspect of any species being non-parasitic to the environment they live in.

That humanity may be at or approaching a point where evolution is not exerting control over its development is an interesting concept and one I've consider myself, but I'm not sure that it follows that once this point is reached, the eco-system is doomed. Why do you believe this to be so?

hodgepodge wrote:
Back on topic. I believe that a theist thinking that there is an infinite being catering to their needs (listening to their prayers, answering some prayers, creating them, sustaining them, etc) is far more arrogant than the non-theistic view that we came about through evolution/natural selection. My logic in this is that an infinite being does not need to create anything because it is lonely/wants to love something. A being that lacks something is finite because an infinite being would not be lacking anything.

More assumptions.

All theists are not creationists. Some believe evolution is the tool of their deity.

What is arrogant about the belief that a deity considers and cares for each of its creations?

You might be considered arrogant in presuming to know the reason for why a deity created mankind. Because a deity creates does not necessarily mean it needs to create.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:51 pm
I belong to a church that was founded on divorce...I have no time for those who are "holier than thou".....
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:56 pm
Actually, I like a quote that I read recently
(can't remember the source).....It refers to God as being like a mirror......reflecting who ever is looking into it.....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:57 pm
Anglican?
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 02:12 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

All theists are not creationists. Some believe evolution is the tool of their deity.

What is arrogant about the belief that a deity considers and cares for each of its creations?

You might be considered arrogant in presuming to know the reason for why a deity created mankind. Because a deity creates does not necessarily mean it needs to create.

I know not all theists are creationists (most seem to be though). Most of the theists that I speak with that believe in evolution believe that God initiated the evolution. Most non-theists believe that it occurred naturally on it's own accord.

I thought that the arrogance in believing there exists an infinite being that even remotely cares for specs in the universe was self-explanatory.

A) There would be no reason for this infinite being to create us.
B) Why would this infinite being care for us anyway?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:54 pm
hodgepodge wrote:

Most of the theists that I speak with that believe in evolution believe that God initiated the evolution. Most non-theists believe that it occurred naturally on it's own accord.

What does "naturally" mean and how do things occur on "their own accord?"

hodgepodge wrote:
I thought that the arrogance in believing there exists an infinite being that even remotely cares for specs in the universe was self-explanatory.

Apparently not.

If I understand you, you believe it is arrogant of someone to believe that her or she is worthy of creation by and caring of a deity?

So it is arrogant of someone to think that they might be other than the coincidental byproduct of random chance?

Might it not be more arrogant for someone to so summarily dismiss the beliefs of someone for whom they, ostensibly, cared?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:35 pm
Of course arrogance is a value judgement and, as such, we can pretty much predict that atheists will vote for theists and theists will vote for atheists. And both sides will justify their votes with pretty sucky reasons.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:57 pm
I'm at loss to understand how either can, reasonably, be considered arrogant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:06 pm
Boing!!!!!!!!! Flash!!!!!!!!!! Stop the presses!!!!!!!! Finn finally has said something I agree with!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:13 pm
I think Fundamentalist Christians can be some of the most arrogant, closed minded people on the face of the earth because they say God is on 'thier side' and use Him to support their small minded and discriminatory beliefs. The few agnostics/athiest's I've known have been very cool people and never challanged me about my belief in God...at least not in a negative or threatening way.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Boing!!!!!!!!! Flash!!!!!!!!!! Stop the presses!!!!!!!! Finn finally has said something I agree with!

You were bound to get it right one of these times. The Law of Averages was in your favor.
0 Replies

hodgepodge

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:58 pm
I think you guys are missing the point here.

It's

Believing that there is an infinite being that has anything to do with you

vs.

Believing that there is not an infinite being and that we evolved naturally (if you can't figure out what I mean by this, don't bother replying).

I'm not trying to ask which group is more arrogant in general (in their lives etc). I'm asking who has the more arrogant foundational belief.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:08 pm
How can I think to answer such a deep question with you mooning me like that hodgepodge. Mr. Green
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:09 pm
hodgepodge
Hodgepodge, in my opinion, anyone who invents the existence of a higher being (God) in their own image is not only arrogant, I would say that person is irrational and insecure.

BBB
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:10 pm
hodgepodge wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point here.

It's

Believing that there is an infinite being that has anything to do with you

vs.

Believing that there is not an infinite being and that we evolved naturally (if you can't figure out what I mean by this, don't bother replying).

I'm not trying to ask which group is more arrogant in general (in their lives etc). I'm asking who has the more arrogant foundational belief.

I think you pretty much answered your own question with this post. Smile
0 Replies