Late start: application help?

Thanos

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 04:37 pm
I would like to ask about some helpful advice regarding my search for full-time employment. I am almost 30 and have never had a steady, full-time job. All of my work has been in grocery stores and retail, and at most I've gotten 35 hours a week, but for the last 6 months now I've either been unemployed or I've worked around 15 hours a week. I didn't start working until after I graduated college, because of several factors. I also started college late, graduating at the age of 25. My B.A. is in theatre (no luck with that), and I've been trying to secure at least an interview with various companies offering full-time work since then. It has been in vain, since I haven't been offered interviews for anybody except for the aforementioned grocery stores. What can I do to increase the chances that my applications are more likely to be noticed to make up for the fact that I'm getting into the job market roughly a decade later than most people are? Or should I be seeing the writing on the wall and resigning myself to working in grocery/retail?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,506 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 04:43 pm
@Thanos,
Get yourself more training - something very specific to office work. With a BA in Theatre, it may be that Hiring Managers aren't sure if you can even use MS Excel or Word.

Be more specific about your search and target it better. Are you applying everywhere? Then stop that. Because from here, it looks like you're tossing a resume at anywhere with a pulse.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:12 pm
@Thanos,
Not a particularly easy job to find, but a maybe - my husband had an m.b.a. in theater, and at one point handled productions and some outdoor entertainment events at a city's community arts complex. You might nose around some places like that.

I agree with Jespah on getting documented re skills..
0 Replies

Thanos

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 06:09 pm
@jespah,
I'm not sure I know how NOT to apply everywhere. At this point, all I know is that I need a full-time job somewhere. I've gotten so many rejections that I've basically been forced to keep widening the scope of my search so much that I've ended up applying everywhere.

As for getting documented, is that at like a university, or at a training center? I've never heard of getting documented RE: Microsoft Office.
0 Replies