Maybe Americans shouldn't be watching soccer.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I may have misspoken re it not being too late, will report back when someone brighter straightens me out on this.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 01:55 pm
The only person who saved more than Tim Howard was Jesus Christ... but then Jesus had 11 men he could trust.

(sorry, that made me laugh)
lmur

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Ironically enough, as Judas left the Last Supper, some of the apostles leapt onto the dining table brandishing their wine goblets and started chanting YOU WILL SLAY! YOU WILL SLAY!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Yeah, of course that's it. It was sarcasm!

That is a brilliant observation. It is ingenious really.

Well I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Good luck my sad little pal.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:57 am
Quote:
Why People Keep Dying In China Because Of The World Cup

Doctors say the country’s dim view of mental health could leave people vulnerable to suicide over football results. All-night World Cup TV sessions have played their part too.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiefullerton/why-people-keep-dying-in-china-because-of-the-world-cup
Lash

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Go in the corner with JTT.
lmur

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:14 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Go in the corner with JTT.

Perhaps unwittingly, Lash has drawn attention to one of the finer tactics in football,; that of running the clock down by "taking the ball into the corner." Also a tactic beloved of civil servants who invariably require a bowel movement at 4.30pm on Friday afternoon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm uninformed on this and not ready to read up right now. Is this because of wagers or emotional connection. Ok, I'll guess wagering.

I wouldn't begin to align all chinese with one of our friends, but he was all of these - an immensely hard worker with endless hours, a fabulous cook, superstitious. When we visited his new place, and he insisted we stay at their house, he offered my husband a sip of the precious aphrodisiac potion, which he tried, to be polite. No luck, the beds were a blanket and sheet over planks and besides we were exhausted already). He loved gambling, and had won in life so far, last I knew.

That isn't a knock, but part of my guess.
0 Replies

izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 03:24 pm
USA's 1-0 loss to Germany is starting to look quite respectable.
0 Replies