The Best Films of All Time, According to Someone Who Knows

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:19 pm
I've decided to bless you all with my definitive, indisputable list of the greatest films of all time. Prepare to be dazzled. There will be insightfull commentary and perhaps pictures to aid the mentally handicapped.

Did I mention the free crackers I'm giving away? No? Good, because I don't have any.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,913 • Replies: 23
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:20 pm
Re: The Best Films of All Time, According to Someone Who Kno
IronLionZion wrote:
Did I mention the free crackers I'm giving away? No? Good, because I don't have any.

Bastid. I'm going for some popcorn then.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:29 pm
# 347

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4392/4392883_ra.jpg

VCR HEAD CLEANER
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:36 pm
I can't believe you love that one. I thought "The Ice Storm" had a lot of snow in it but this is like the Chinese snow torture.

The VCR acronym, FYI, stands for

Virgin Conundrum Revenge
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:03 am

I debated with myself endlessly as to whether this should come above VCR Head Cleaner, but in the end, Schindlers List won:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6303168507.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A tragic and touching film about the Holocaust. Hailed as one of the great films of the 20th centry, Spielberg's emotional epic reaches hights never before seen in American Cinema. Liam Nesson gives a wonderful performance is the titular Schindler List, and Ben Kingsly is hardly recognisable as a starving, Chess playing, Indian. Go figure.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:16 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I can't believe you love that one. I thought "The Ice Storm" had a lot of snow in it but this is like the Chinese snow torture.

The VCR acronym, FYI, stands for

Virgin Conundrum Revenge

heh
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:19 am
Didn't "VCR Head Cleaner" clean up at the Oscars?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:40 am
I know it won for technical effects.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:41 am
(It was ahead of its time, swishing over the heads).
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 07:05 pm
ILZ, that's it? One non-movie and one film about compassion?
Not much of a list, is it?
Almost all of the great films are made elsewhwere, Hollywood is not on the real lists.
PS, Monica Vitti looks smashing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:24 pm
Is The Blair Witch Project on your list? I hope so. In my opinion, it's almost as good as VCR Head Cleaner. Doesn't quite reach the same high level of ambiguity, I admit, but it tries so hard that it should, at least, get honorable mention.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:41 pm
I don't see Van Wilder or Malibus Most Wanted anywhere here.....what's up with that?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:47 pm
Or Gigli, for that matter.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:01 pm
Gigli was a classic. Much better than Jersey Girl.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:48 am
I thought this was a humorous thread with the head cleaner entry. We already have a Featured Topic best film thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14867

I was intending on unfeaturing it and waiting for someone to come up with a top ten or some other list but they are still working on the site and I cannot feature or unfeature topics.

I've offered my favorite films so often, I'm no inclined to be redundant.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:54 am
It isn't true, BTW, that all great movies were made elsewhere. Sight and Sound's top ten lists include such Hollywood classics as "Citizen Kane," "The Godfather," "Vertigo," and "Singin' in the Rain."
Nearly all films either receive their financing or distribution or both from a Hollywood studio. Sony Classic Pictures is based here in Hollywood and is the major distributor of foreign and independent films.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:32 pm
Lightwizard, with all due respect, most great films were made in Sweden, Japan, India, France, Great Britain, Italy, Germany, Russia etc.
Certainly they were not financed by Hollywood; highly unlikely.
If you like depressing films: "Quai des Brumes", a great classic.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:11 am
I suppose the concept of "great films", like anything else with the word "great" in it, is a matter of personal taste reflecting one's persona; aesthetic judgement. Certainly Hollywood has dominated the market in theatrical film releases since the inception of celluloid. Whether "more" equals "better" is always debateable, of course, but I would suggest that denigrating the Hollywood product simply because it comes from Hollywood, rather than Stockholm or Moscow, say, smacks of a certain kind of elitism.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:30 am
merry andrew, of course there is elitism involved. When one searches for greatness one looks for quality and depth.
No matter how much money a film makes, it is still judged by it's greatness. Just because a rockstar sells more disks than J.S. Bach does not make him better.
BTW, East India produces at least twice as many films as Hollywood. (1200 in the year 2000). That does not mean anything as far as quality is concerned.
All of the lists of: "Ten greatest films" that I have seen were dominated by other than Hollywood movies. Even "Citizen Kane " was a personal tour de force of Orson Welles.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:52 am
The Hollywood studio system of the 30's and 40's (the Golden Age?) is also represented on the top ten list by "Singin' in the Rain." If you like depressing movies, you'd likely buy into the predominance of angst offered by the independents and foreign film makers. Does just appealing to the intellectual comprehension of the movie buff always make a great movie? Of course not. Some are pretentious, self-indulged dirges which are about as enlightening as watching paint dry. Nevertheless, "Kane" was a Hollywood movie, as well as "The Godfather." Today, we wouldn't be seeing those foreign films on CD if it weren't for American companies putting up the financing to release them. Janus is one of the major foreign entities and it's heavily financed from American's Hollywood coffers. There are many great foreign films including from Canada but without Hollywood distributing companies, their films would gather dust on the shelves.

As a matter of fact, Bach likely sells more CD's than any rock band considering cumulative sales figures for one composer.

Incidentally, I just saw the French film "Man on a Train" and found it a fascinating character study with an ending that sent my mind reeling.
0 Replies