What is your earliest memory?

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
extra medium wrote:
!!!My first memory is the VERY SAME THING! No joke. I was playing in the snow, jumping off the darn porch and digging tunnels in the snow in our yard! I especially remember the snow tunnel part. Precisely the same as you describe, except I was probably 2 to 3 years old. (and no, we're not brothers!)

Strange. Very strange. Thats a very specific/odd thing to have in common as a first memory.

Is there something special in our brains with snow & snow tunnels?

Are you sure your not my brother... you'd be the right age?

It is kind of a strange first memory to have. I think I remember that winter becasue of the huge amounts of snow. It was piled up higher than our windows and I was amazed.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:17 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Are you sure your not my brother... you'd be the right age?

uh...could you maybe post some DNA samples or something?

Seriously: our memories appear to be almost precisely the same, but my date would have been more like 1968.

Memories are very strange things.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:32 pm
Ohh, 1968 is ten years off for my memory.

The funniest thing about that memory is I remember being happy. Jumping off the porch, climbing through tunnels, making forts... I HATE snow now.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
Yeah I was extremely happy too. It was like a whole new world existed that day.

I agree. It was so fun to dig those tunnels and make those forts.

Yet if we were given that opportunity today, we might simply scoff and say "And what, get all cold & wet just to dig a silly hole in the snow? Are you nuts?"

To have that newness and wonder of childhood forever...

incidentally, inspired by all this I just googled "snow tunnel childhood memory" and there are tons of links out there...it does appear this is a rather common memory, though I haven't found any supernatural connection...yet.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:11 pm
...yet.

Perhaps all children's snow tunnels lead to the same place... like all road lead to Rome. In this place we are happiest with all sorts of other children... except for those how live in places where they don't get snow... they go somewhere else. BUt I digress... in this place it is a wonderful magical place full of everything our hearts could desire. But upon leaving, all memory of this place is wiped from our brains and all we are left with is a happy memory of snow and the wonderfulness of it all. Then as we grow old and bitter ad snow starts to lose it's magic we can think back to those times and remember how good and simple life can be.
0 Replies