What are the goofs/errors in Joe and Max ( TV Movie ) ?

Joeee

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:46 am
I've to give a presentation about the movie Joe and Max (2002) and mark the errors / things that aren't what really happened. But the problem is, I haven't found one single 'goof' in the movie. Can somebody help me please ?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,936 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:05 am
@Joeee,
The only place I know of online to see the goofs that can be found is on IMDB.com. I looked there and they list none found. Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281938/goofs?ref_=tt_ql_trv_2

However, if you need to do more research, it'll be researching it on your own....as in doing your own fact checking.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:09 am
@Joeee,
I'm afraid you're going to have to rewatch the movie all over again. I don't expect many people have actually watched that particular TV movie from the Oscar nominated documentarian, Steve James.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281938/combined

You are going to have to rewatch the movie and read a few sports history books about the event.

Steve James should stick to his strength and make only documentaries.

By the way? Is this assignment for a history class or a filmmaking class? High school or college?
Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:14 am
@Joeee,
Furthermore, the following info is posted by IMDB user review, so its sources are not validated. This might give you something further on which you might do your real RESEARCH.

"The true story of the relationship between world heavyweight champion Joe Louis and European heavyweight champion Max Schmelling is one of the "truth is stranger than fiction" variety. In their first meeting in 1936, a young Joe Lewis was the leading contender for a title shot while the 10 years older German Schmelling was the European champion. When underdog Schmelling defeated Lewis he reluctantly became a propaganda icon for Hitler's regime. Lewis at that time was the pride and hope of the "Negro race" (as people of African lineage were then called by decent people), but "white" America apparently was wary of him. After he beat Schmelling in the second fight Lewis became an idol of all America, while the embarrassed Nazis made Schmelling a non-entity in Nazi Germany. During the war Schmelling was made an ordinary soldier in the German Army, while Lewis' tour in the US Army was as a celebrity used for troop morale. Later, after Lewis retired undefeated, he learned that he owed a huge amount of money to the IRS and had to go back into boxing to try to rid himself of the debt. (The film does not get into the details, but supposedly Lewis, who was not well educated, had relied on his manager and promoter to handle his finances, including preparing tax returns.) But Lewis was too old now and was humiliated in the ring. He then took a variety of demeaning jobs in an attempt to pay off the debt, which he never was able to accomplish. The movie does not address the disgraceful issue of why no U.S. President gave him some sort of a pardon forgiving this American hero of the debt. In the meantime, Schmelling has a phoenix-like reversal of fortune when Coca Cola sought him out to use him in a campaign to capture the German market for its product."
Joeee

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:42 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, when I was doing some research I found something like that user mentioned, now I know I can continue with finding more info on that.
0 Replies

Joeee

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I agree with you. The story of the movie is pretty nice, the movie could be better. But it's a lowbudget and TV movie, so yeah.

Btw it's historyclass in highschool.
0 Replies