Men and Women's Brains ARE Wired Differently...

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:54 am
"Men and women's brains are wired in completely different ways which may explain why the sexes excel at certain tasks, brain scans reveal.

US researchers at the University of Pennsylvania scanned the brains of nearly 1,000 men, women, boys and girls and found striking differences.

The "connectome maps" reveal the differences between the male brain (seen in blue) and the female brain (orange)
Male brains are wired front to back, with few connections bridging the two hemispheres.

In females, the connections criss-cross between left and right.

These differences might explain why men, in general, tend to be better at learning and performing a single task, like cycling or navigating, whereas women are more equipped for multitasking, say the researchers in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

The same volunteers were asked to perform a series of cognitive tests, and the results appeared to support this notion.

Women scored well on attention, word and face memory, and social cognition. Men performed better on spatial processing and sensori-motor speed.

Researcher Dr Ruben Gur said: "It's quite striking how complementary the brains of women and men really are.

"Detailed connectome maps of the brain will not only help us better understand the differences between how men and women think, but it will also give us more insight into the roots of neurological disorders, which are often sex related."

More on this story......with big colour pictures for us men.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25198063

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:56 am
Men's in blue, women's in "exotic hint of tangerine".

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71491000/jpg/_71491129_brainpnas.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 06:00 am
Do you think this is true?

Do we really think differently?

Must scratch testicles. Ooh look, a sparrow.

Do I need to buy some more beer today?

Kelly Brook IS rather tasty, isn't she!

Must check testicles again, just in case.......
timur

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 06:08 am
@Lordyaswas,
It seems obvious:

http://etherealmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/man-woman-knon.jpeg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 06:53 am
@Lordyaswas,
This isn't really news, back in 1998 I attended a lecture by Geoff Hannan about this. He pointed to the stone age where men went out hunting and needed skills such as spatial awareness, and the ability to navigate. Women stayed behind and organised things so their skills include multi-tasking and communication. It also means women are more cooperative/collaborative whilst men are more competitive.

This is general, because individuals can always go the other way. You may have a female brain as a man and vice versa, but that doesn't necessarily make you gay. A crude way to check what sort of brain you have is to look at your hands. If your index and ring fingers are roughly the same length you've got a female brain if not you've got a male brain.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 03:31 pm
@izzythepush,
"A crude way to check what sort of brain you have is to look at your hands. If your index and ring fingers are roughly the same length you've got a female brain if not you've got a male brain....."

S'funny, I was only reading something in the paper (QI factoids) the other day which stated that the bigger the difference between lengths of those two fingers, the longer the penis.
I chopped off the top of my ring finger yesterday morning, but as yet I haven't noticed any difference.

Mind you, it has been cold.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 03:51 pm
tsk.

While reading all this I roasted a pork loin in raspberry sauce, bought 50 shares of Acme Dynamite Co, enrolled in Obamacare and changed into my swimsuit for a quick 5 laps.

What is your major malfunction soldier?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 05:56 am
@chai2,
What's MY problem?

I'll tell you what my......

Ooh look, another sparrow.

Is my zip undone?

Better check....and while I'm there I might as well do a bit of stocktaking....
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
I think this news revelation should be quite obvious to most people, except for the ultra PCers who think sex is a social construct (Of course they have to be thoroughly indoctrinated before they believe that.) Of course we think differently and have different strengths and weaknesses. I was a psychology major and my friend got a degree in English. Both majors were dominated by women. Math and science programs are dominated by men. I'm not writing that to put anybody down. Literature and psychology are both difficult and important subjects, just like mathematics and science are difficult and important subjects.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:

Literature and psychology are both difficult and important subjects, just like mathematics and science are difficult and important subjects.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone suggested this research meant women couldn't do math as well as men. That is an over-simplification and a damaging thing to be telling young girls.

Suppose there was a lake that had to be crossed. Suppose there were two ways to cross it: you could cut down trees and build rafts, or you could swim across as a team. Suppose men were better at building rafts and women at swimming. If techniques for building rafts were well-developed and techniques for swimming across as a team had not been developed at all yet, men would -- at that time -- be better at crossing the lake. However, that would not be a reason to discourage women from trying to cross, or from developing new techniques for crossing the lake that favoured their own sex. Over time, improved team swimming techniques could allow women to become better at crossing the lake than men.

Math problems may be like that lake. The techniques currently in use for solving problems may be like rafting -- better suited to male/spatial minds, but that doesn't mean we can't come up with new approaches to solving math problems that are like team-swimming from my analogy in the sense that they favour female/verbal minds.

Symbolic integration in Calculus is part word association and part spatial manipulation. I could be wrong but I think males are better at it at present. However, if you tweak the process so that it involves slightly more complicated word associations and slightly less complicated spatial manipulation, you could tilt things in favour of girls.

In summary, I don't think boys are "better at math". They just have an easier time mastering the techniques by which we currently do math.
Jpsy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 12:11 am
@Kolyo,
I guess you've been checking this thread every day waiting for your chance to attack someone who gave specific ways in which men and women differ. You were so desperate to post that, that you put words in my mouth so you could refute them. I didn't say ALL women are worse than ALL men at math. I said there are a lot more male math and science majors than female, and a lot more female English and psychology majors. And it's true.You can't state a damn fact anymore. I witnessed this myself, because I was a psychology major at one time, and my best friend was an English major, and I switched to statistics and science later. "This is a damaging thing to be telling young girls." Well, why are you only sticking up for the girls. (And not all girls are bad at math.) You could twist the same statement I made into suggesting all men are bad at English and Psychology. I'm terrible at English. I'm the slowest reader on the planet.
And there are lots of exceptions. My best friend is a male and he's great at English and terrible at math. A girl at my high school got a perfect score on the math portion of the SATs. I certainly didn't get an 800 on the Math portion.
"I don't think boys are "better at math". They just have an easier time mastering the techniques by which we currently do math."
How we currently do math. You mean /, -, +, *, square roots, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, differential equations etc. What other way do we do math? Are those subjects going to be changing soon? Men and Women are different. Get over it. I put that last comment in my initial post to suggest that neither sex is superior to the other, which I honestly believe.
My sister is 100 times more successful than me. She started out as a biology major and failed her classes. She then graduated with a double major in English and History. She went on to get a PhD in education and a law degree, and is extraordinarily successful today. Mathematics is my best subject. But I don't enjoy math. I'd trade my math skills for my sister's verbal fluency any day. It would take me a year to get through a Dostoevsky novel, and she could finish one in two days. I'd much rather read Dostoevsky or Jung than do calculus problems.
I'm in no way suggesting women are inferior than men, but you want to interpret it that way. Anyways, I apologize for starting a huge argument. Sometimes, I should just bite my tongue.
Jpsy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 12:26 am
@Kolyo,
And one more thing. You notice how the jokes were all about dumb males.
"I need to adjust my testicles and drink beer, what times the football game tonight"
I'm fine with and enjoy those jokes, but I hate the double standard. What if someone had made a joke about female stereotypes? "What time does the mall close, which of my 1000 pairs of shoes am I going to put on..."
They would be attacked. They would be called sexist pigs. I'm sick of the double standard.
roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 12:53 am
@chai2,
If you had asked first, I would have cautioned you about Acme Dynamite, or anything else called Acme, by the way.

W. Coyote
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 01:44 am
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:

And one more thing. You notice how the jokes were all about dumb males.
"I need to adjust my testicles and drink beer, what times the football game tonight"
I'm fine with and enjoy those jokes, but I hate the double standard. What if someone had made a joke about female stereotypes? "What time does the mall close, which of my 1000 pairs of shoes am I going to put on..."
They would be attacked. They would be called sexist pigs. I'm sick of the double standard.

Oh dear.

If you read carefully, you will note that Chai2, a sharp witted A2Ker, immediately picked up on the self deprecating fun element of the initial posts, and did indeed hint at stereotyping of genders when she made that post regarding multitasking.

In future, if I were you, I would judge the "feel" of the thread before making out that you are offended.
Just because you are offended (supposedly) doesn't for one minute mean that I was wrong for posting it.
If you REALLY want to analyse it all (and you should never try to analyze humour, especially if you are po-faced by nature) then you would realise that I was actually making fun of all this stereotyping genders nonsense.

Have a nice day.
Jpsy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 04:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
No, I wasn't at all offended by the humor. I was just saying I don't like double standards. If I had made the same joke using female stereotypes, Kolyo would have been all over me, would he not have been? I am completely against legitimate (not just joking around like on this thread) sexism and racism, and I would 100% support liberals like Koylo, if they were actually against racism and sexism against all people, but they're not. Racism against whites and asians is tolerated, and sexism against men is tolerated by the ultra PC liberals. It's not real equality. I can not for the life of me figure out why liberals don't mind certain kinds of racism and sexism, but absolutely detest other kinds of racism and sexism. Especially, considering the fact that many PC liberals are white males. How can you be OK with certain people hating you, but get mad when other people hate them.
No, I was not offended at all by the joke. By all means continue telling them. I believe in complete freedom of expression. I tell jokes like that too.
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 04:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
Anyway, sorry, maybe I am taking this too far. I apologize.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 11:18 am
@Jpsy,
Jpsy wrote:

I guess you've been checking this thread every day waiting for your chance to attack someone who gave specific ways in which men and women differ.

No, but I have been waiting to attack their ideas -- subtle difference between that and attacking them. And that's not even completely right. Mostly I was just waiting for an excuse to start advancing my own ideas. So...thanks.

Quote:
How we currently do math. You mean /, -, +, *, square roots, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, differential equations etc. What other way do we do math?

The way that young kids are taught to conceptualize simple arithmetic changes all the time. (You can learn multiplication by rote or you can learn by drawing rectangles on graph paper.) There are multiple ways to do a calculus problem. (Offhand, I can think of three ways that one might integrate the simple expression "sin(x)cos(x)".) You can make the process of symbolic integration into a process that requires more verbal fluency by naming new mathematical functions. (For example, you can take "tan(x) + sec(x)" and give it a name.)

Quote:
Men and Women are different. Get over it.

The differences (difference in how they see things and in how their brains work) are the reason we need both in professions usually dominated by one or the other -- for the sake of greater variety in the work that's produced.

Quote:
I'd trade my math skills for my sister's verbal fluency any day. It would take me a year to get through a Dostoevsky novel, and she could finish one in two days. I'd much rather read Dostoevsky or Jung than do calculus problems.

I'm not familiar with those two people. Are they mathematicians or are they women?
0 Replies